Sign in to follow this  
Desslok

The "Woot! I have JOY" thread!

Okay, queue up "The Throne Room" since it just arrived!  Paging through it reveals the same beautiful artwork and interesting people, places, and things.

Stats for Lando are on page 11.  

Off to read and beer!

I think anything set on Cloud City would inevitably have to have stats for Lando. I'm curious as to how they treated him, whether he's merely an above average Nemesis level NPC, or if he's truly over the top in some places. Of course, this is before the events of Episode V, and his destiny in the Battle of Endor. :)

So how much of the book is sourcebook, and how much of it is adventure?

I ended up napping a little instead of reading and now I'm off to consume beer, but I can say this looks mostly adventure but there's a lot of goodness buried within so discounting it as not a sourcebook would be unwise.

Lando is geared towards being the baron of the station and not statted as the general we know and love.  Lobot's in there, haven't seen much in the way of gear but I did notice some new ship modifications.  Also, we see a lot of new, familiar species but they're not called out for PC use.  

You're going to have to be a bit more clever than a galavanting band of murder hoboes to pull off this caper, that's for sure!

I ended up napping a little instead of reading and now I'm off to consume beer, but I can say this looks mostly adventure but there's a lot of goodness buried within so discounting it as not a sourcebook would be unwise.

Lando is geared towards being the baron of the station and not statted as the general we know and love.  Lobot's in there, haven't seen much in the way of gear but I did notice some new ship modifications.  Also, we see a lot of new, familiar species but they're not called out for PC use.  

You're going to have to be a bit more clever than a galavanting band of murder hoboes to pull off this caper, that's for sure!

Not sure when Jewel of Yavin takes place but my guess is not long after the Battle of Taanab if not before the battle. And honestly while Lando is one of my favorite Star Wars characters and I feel he did a great job as a general I still wonder why the Alliance thought the Battle of Taanab qualified Lando to command every fighter in their fleet, based on what the EU tells us about the battle. Though part of that might just be disappointment with the battle. I always thought it would involve Lando giving a speech or something to rally the defense force, and possibly a few other smugglers and freighter pilots than leading the resulting force against the Norulac Freebooters. Instead Lando single handily cripples the Freebooters than leads the local fleet in the mopping up operation. IMO it was a showing of great cleverness and incredible piloting skill on his part I just don't see it as showing great ability as a general.

Are the stats for the Relby-k23 (Cloud City blaster) in there? My character (in a non-EotE game) has one, and I'd be interested to see the EotE version!

I like the look of that. it looks more like it would cause criticals or strain from the pain more than doing heavy damage. Wondering if EotE will be inline with wp.

@RogueCorona,

So far, this iteration of the RPG takes place between ep. 4-5 exclusively.  Not sure when the battle of Tanaab takes place, but there you go.  

As far as Lando in the OT is concerned, I think George just handwaved Lando's ascension to the status of General.  Like so much in the OT, George was flying by the seat of his pants, and while he did a wonderful job of it, left gaping plot holes everywhere.  As a child, I never so much as blinked at the fact that Lando went from Scoundrel industrialist to rebel General.  It just makes sense to a six year old.  He was Han's friend after all, and he obviously felt bad about the whole carbonite thing.  Why not become a general?

Good times.  Love this game.

The Battle of I believe was in the EU under Lando's Adventures which showcased him and the Falcon before he lost it to Han.  I also believe Lando was one of the people to defend Nar Shaddaa with Han and a part of a massive heist with him as well.  On all accounts he performed well as both a commander and pilot in his own right.  I believe the tactic that Lando suggests is one that they used in the Battle of Nar Shaddaa even if he wasn't a participant in it.  As far as the movies were concerned you didn't need much in the way of details on Lando just that he was capable combatant.

@RogueCorona,

So far, this iteration of the RPG takes place between ep. 4-5 exclusively.  Not sure when the battle of Tanaab takes place, but there you go.  

As far as Lando in the OT is concerned, I think George just handwaved Lando's ascension to the status of General.  Like so much in the OT, George was flying by the seat of his pants, and while he did a wonderful job of it, left gaping plot holes everywhere.  As a child, I never so much as blinked at the fact that Lando went from Scoundrel industrialist to rebel General.  It just makes sense to a six year old.  He was Han's friend after all, and he obviously felt bad about the whole carbonite thing.  Why not become a general?

Good times.  Love this game.

The Battle of Tanaab was about 6 months after the Battle of Yavin so it was early in the period between Episodes IV and V, and shortly before Lando won his post on Cloud City I believe.

And honestly what happened wasn't any fault of Lucas. The Return of the Jedi novelization went into a little more detail on the battle than the movie did but not much.if I remember right. It basically established that Tanaab was a farming world, named the pirate force Lando defeated in the battle, and mentioned that Lando defeated them to win a bet.

For some reason when the time came for the battle to be explored in the EU the writer decided to turn the main phase into Lando crippling the bulk of the pirate fleet with his ship alone than leading the local forces in the mopping up phase rather than having him lead a squadron, or fleet from the engagement's start.

The Battle of I believe was in the EU under Lando's Adventures which showcased him and the Falcon before he lost it to Han.  I also believe Lando was one of the people to defend Nar Shaddaa with Han and a part of a massive heist with him as well.  On all accounts he performed well as both a commander and pilot in his own right.  I believe the tactic that Lando suggests is one that they used in the Battle of Nar Shaddaa even if he wasn't a participant in it.  As far as the movies were concerned you didn't need much in the way of details on Lando just that he was capable combatant.

Trust me the Battle of Tanaab was not part of the Lando Calrissian Adventures trilogy. I hated the first book in the trilogy but read books two and three because I convinced myself that the Battle of Tanaab would be worth it, and the battle not being shown was just another in my long list of reasons to hate the novels..

The Battle of Tanaab was impressive but based on the EU it wasn't Lando's skill as a commander that was a key part of the battle. Either of the other examples you mentioned were better examples of him as a skilled commander than Tanaab IMO.

Are the stats for the Relby-k23 (Cloud City blaster) in there? My character (in a non-EotE game) has one, and I'd be interested to see the EotE version!

Indeed it is, buried in the Wing Guard Officers's stat block.  

How does it stack up compared to the baseline blaster pistol? Stronger? Weaker?

Now I can't stop seeing Lando peddling "Relby K23" malt liqueur. 

In my game there was a Hutt - wanna be big time, all pimped out in his finest 70's swag, but really just a big fish in a small pond. He drank Blastech 45 - absolutely nasty Malt Liquor. It's turned up several times since then, apparently the choice drink of gang members and thugs everywhere!

Edited by Desslok

In all seriousness, I have a question about Lando for those who have the book. Is he central to the story, or could he be replaced with his predecessor (Baron whazzisface)? My game is set before Ep IV.

My game is also set earlier in the timeline (4 BBY), so I too am curious on this point.

At the risk of derailing the thread, I have to ask: is Lando the first major Star Wars NPC to get statted up in the game line? 

Okay, now please give us some more JOY spoilers (JOYlers?)