Sign in to follow this  
Tamati Khan

What I'd like to see in the future.....

I know others have posted similar topics before. But I've been sitting at home after a mild panic attack and this has given me something to take my mind off it. So here goes.....

Ever since the Z-95 was released, and I checked out it's history on Wookieepedia, I've been thinking about different fighters that I'd like to see. For me, the appeal of the Z-95 is that it can be used in a system defense fleet, not just rebels, and can be used for my own unique group of non-alliance rebels. But there are other ships that have sparked my imagination, and here they are:

Star Viper

250px-StarViper-EaWFoC.jpg

For the most part, I like this based on nothing but how it looks. But the Star Viper has more going for it than just it's cool looks. From what I've been able to find out, it is classed as a heavy assault fighter and comes armed with twin laser cannons and proton torpedoes. But what is exciting, and would introduce something new to the game, is that they can also deploy buzz droids to crawl around and sabotage enemy craft.

To include the Star Viper would mean introducing a new faction to the game, as these were used mostly by pirates. Personally, I'd like to use them alongside my Firespray as part of a Bounty Hunter force.

CloakShape Fighter

180px-Cloakshapes.jpg

Not the best looking of the Star Wars ships I've seen, but it does come with the freedom to be used in a system defense fleet or pirate group. Personally, I'll use it either as part of my rebel fleet or to accompany my YT-1300 smuggler group. Looking at what Wookieepedia said about the CloakShape, it comes with laser cannons and concussion missiles but upgrades are commonly available to it.

V-Wing

180px-Eaw_alpha3_V-wing.jpg

It was a surprise to me to read that this, my favourite starfighter from the Clone Wars Era, was in use by the Empire up to and during the Rebellion Era. It even continued to be used in the New Republic era. Personally, I want to see the V-Wing as an option for the Empire and you can expect to see me making squadrons of just V-Wings. I like these more than any other Empire starfighter and, even without a Clone Wars range, they should have a place in the X-Wing range.

I'm biased of course. Whenever I played Battlefront I would always fly these in the space combat. I have since learnt that they're not bombers but are in fact fighter.

Beyond these, I'd like to see the Empire receive at least one BIG SHIP if not more. Personally, my favourite is the Imperial Customs Corvette which is just 30 meters longer than the Corellian Corvette. There are a few other Imperial ships that could do the job just as well, but the only other one I really like is the Vigil-Class Corvette:

180px-Vigil-class_corvette_%28Fractalspo

But at 255 meters, a whopping 105 meters longer than the Tantive IV, I can't imagine it being released. But for the record, and if the powers that be are reading, I will buy a Vigil and Customs Corvette if only they would make one.

As much for my RPG gaming as for X-Wing gaming itself, I'm looking forward to seeing the future waves. I'm sure that whatever is released will be cool. But this is just my contribution to a popular discussion.

I'm on board with a v-wing. It should be a rebel ship with a much needed bomb slot.

I'd compromise at both.

What makes them different is the rebels get an astromech but the Empire doesn't.

No astromech is "Rebel only" thus far.  Just saying. 

Which means that no Imperial (or Separatist, if they ever do a Clone Wars Expansion) ship will ever have an Astromech slot, or at least one that allows unique astromechs, since it's really only the unique astromechs that are Republic/Rebel aligned.

How about something not ship related FFG should significantly increase their production run of new waves?

Edited removing a word.

Edited by Kwaad

I'm on board with a v-wing. It should be a rebel ship with a much needed bomb slot.

I'd compromise at both.

What makes them different is the rebels get an astromech but the Empire doesn't.

Interesting.

If the V-Wing was for Empire, and came with options for an astromech, that would give the Empire something that, as far as I'm aware, they haven't had before.

I like your thinking.

Doubt we will ever see an Empire ship with Astromech slot, they would have to change all the current astromechs to be rebel only... R2-D2 would never fly Empire!

Maybe restricting that slot to non-unique astromechs would work.... but indeed, unlikely.

I'd compromise at both.

Interesting.

If the V-Wing was for Empire, and came with options for an astromech, that would give the Empire something that, as far as I'm aware, they haven't had before.

I like your thinking.

Except that the V-Wing was phased out for the "better" TIE series and all of its permutations. By the time the Rebellion era swings around, it'd be a junker like those Z-95's and cowling-less Y-Wings the Rebels bought at a used ship lot somewhere. 

Of course, now the E-Wing's coming, so it look like FFG is mixing eras already, but does that mean Old Republic stuff is going to fly under the Imperial flag? And for that matter, Palpatine ran the droid army from the shadows, so do the Imps get those too? Do the sides go from Imp and Reb to Old Rep and Sep or just Good and Evil? And where do the smugglers and bounty hunters, who are arguably both pretty mercenary, fall? You need to have some set ships on some set sides and with definite differences between the two for balance.

It's enough to make an R2's head spin. 

Honestly, at this point I just want my non-unique Rogue Squad X-wing pilot.  Maybe a SP 5 or 6 with an EPT upgrade for around 25 points.

A good idea, essentially like a Rebel equivalent to the Royal Guard pilot. Interesting!

Honestly, at this point I just want my non-unique Rogue Squad X-wing pilot.  Maybe a SP 5 or 6 with an EPT upgrade for around 25 points.

A good idea, essentially like a Rebel equivalent to the Royal Guard pilot. Interesting!

And maybe a new Mod/Title can come with them as well.  

Or, Rouge could be a Title!  This might make more sense being X-wings, B-wings, Y-wings, A-wings, and Z-95s were all used by the Rogue Squadron.  Maybe a Rebel Aces pack that comes with more A-wing and B-wing pilots.  (Or heck, throw in a third and give the Y-wings more love too!)

For those who may not believe a V-Wing would be around during the Rebellion, here are some quotes:

"In the early stages of the New Order, new V-wing models were commissioned. These craft featured Imperial livery and lacked an astromech droid"

"In 13 ABY, they were one of many Clone Wars-era vehicle used by the Restored Empire faction of the Empire"

Here's the link to the whole page:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Alpha-3_Nimbus-class_V-wing_starfighter

More transports would be nice. Action IV, Barloz, Lady Luck and also the skipray blastboat.

Action IV looks good. Is only 100 meters, so certainly a good size. Isn't well armed, but does carry two Tie Starfighters. Can imagine it would get a few upgrades. Never heard of it before, but count that as an "I'd like that".

I like the Barloz, and would certainly add that to my collection. I like it more than the Action IV and though it is Republic/Rebel, I would happily have it as an Empire ship.

Lady Luck is interesting. Not sure what to say about it, except that I'd probably use a ship like that as an objective. Rebels try to rescue it while the Empire tries to destroy for example.

Skipray Blastboat has so many options for weapons I think we'd spend more time figuring out what to give it than actually gaming with it. But that would join the V-Wing in my Empire fleet, though it is a popular choice for pirates.

Great suggestions  :)