Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
beaukane

new player otherworld encounter question

5 posts in this topic

While playing my first game a encountered a card with the following text.

You may choose to try and infiltrate one of the angled structures. If so, make a Sneak (-1) check. If you pass, draw 2 Unique Items and keep 1 of them. If you fail, you are lost in time and space.

Does this mean I can choose not to infiltrate and complete the encounter with no check needed ?

beaukane,

First, Welcome to the Carnival! :lol:

Second, yes, you've found the ~5% of cards which allow you a choice, as evidenced by the word "may" in the text.  Take your chances, if you dare ~ you must, however, make the check if you want the item.  Otherwise, you may carry-on without the check.  There's no free lunch...but there's a lovely meatloaf platter at Velma's!

Cheers,

Joe

Edited by The Professor

There are a handful of cards that my gaming group have declared optional. I think the most notable is an encounter where you lever open a stone chest, and if you fail the check, you throw your back out in the attempt. It didn't make sense to us that Harvey would just randomly cripple himself trying to open something obviously heavy - he should be smarter than THAT - so we just said you can try if you want to.