Sign in to follow this  
w1r3d0n3

Couple questions

I just recently started GMing this system and I have a few questions that I cant seem to find the answer to in the core rule book or any of the supplements.

My first question is about weapon range. I understand the difficulty given to the different range rings (i.e. the further from your target you are the hard it is to hit). However my question is when a weapon lists its range as medium does that mean that my players receive an additional difficulty for firing out side of medium or is it that they are completely ineffective in any range further then the weapons listed range?

My second question is about the Droid race. I have a player who did not invest in any experience in characteristics during character building, he now want to increase some of them. I however can't find any rules for droid parts. Is there a chart I'm missing or should I just use the cybernetics and have him purchase those as droid parts?

Thank you all for taking the time to read my post and hopefully answer my quesions. I'm sure i will have more.

I believe a weapon's range is the maximum range that they can be used BUT it is not the minimum range it can be used. You can use a weapon at the listed range and anything closer.

Generally, characteristic stat points cant be added after character creation. If you are following rules, you can use cybernetics to increase stats but it wont increase very much. You can also earn characteristic points by getting to the bottom of any specialization tree. or if he really fudged up character creation..I would just allow him remake his character's stats.

Listed range is the maximum for the weapon without additions of talents or attachments to add ranks of Sniper Shot.

Yes, you just purchase cybernetics for Droid players, however, I agree your player may want to re-think not investing in attributes at creation.  Depending of how they are playing the droid character a stat can have a major impact on many skills and the size of the dice pool.

First one's been answered well enough.

My second question is about the Droid race. I have a player who did not invest in any experience in characteristics during character building, he now want to increase some of them. I however can't find any rules for droid parts. Is there a chart I'm missing or should I just use the cybernetics and have him purchase those as droid parts?

The rulebook all but tells the player to invest as much of their starting XP into Characteristics for a reason, with Sam Stewart admitting that was as close as they could get in writing the book to making it mandatory to do so.  It's also why Droids get so much starting XP in comparison to other species, because they need to spend it to raise their Characteristics from a straight set of 1s to something that's actually useful (at least within their realm of expertise).

It's for this reason that the only two ways to increase a Characteristic after the game starts is through the Dedication talent found at the bottom of every specialization's talent tree (which are expensive in terms of XP), and to purchase cybernetic upgrades (which are expensive in terms of credits).  Because of the early power of Characteristics, the game was designed to intentionally limit how often a character could increase them under the notion that "every improvement has a cost associated with it."  For the Dedication talent, it's having to spend a substantial amount of XP to reach the talent, and for cybernetics, it's the cost in credits as well as the vulnerability to ion blasters and the like if the PC is a meatbag.

Ghostofman's right, just let the player rebuild his character from the ground up, as it's the simplest solution by far.

If your player has 1s in all their stats their options for improvement are

1) Start over.

2) Buy Implants for 10k credits.

3) Buy into multiple talent trees for Dedication at 75-150 XP per tree.

4) Come up with something specific for them because starting over doesn't work for one or both of you.

I suggest #1 because 2 & 3 are absurd when they have 1s across the board and #4 sounds either unbalanced or very time consuming.