Sign in to follow this  
Smodgerdebadger

Female PC's

I doubt this is just me but I like playing female characters only, feels abit more badass when I slay a male in arena combat. I dunno, however I want to move on to be a knight. NOW, two questions and the first goes to the game masters out there.

How would you go about female character careers? Would you set some restrictions on them especially when they are trying to move up to a knight of an order?

The second goes out to my fellow female playing players (trying saying that while your drunk), Do you set yourself restrictions or like me do adopt the mantra of go big or go home?

A knight is a bit tricky.  In WFRP world a special explanation is required but it's not impossible as long as it's understood to be unusual.  Per the reference in my Averland work-in-progress supplement (see post in GM forum, no comments yet) there is an old idea of "equal warrior women, if they could defend their status in a fight, they were equal" from the pre-Imperial period which could still have some resonance.  A Myrmidian knight order might make most sense.

SPOILERS FROM WFRP1 CAMPAIGN

In the old Enemy Within campaign all characters were knighted as Knight Panthers when Graf Todbringer needed something done. I like this approach. "You want to be a knight? OK!" GM captures the whole group, knights them and send them on a suicide mission. "Oh you don't like this? You do no that the penalty for insubordination is death?"

I don't know where I read this, but I think there was a disclaimer in some Warhammer-rulebook (guess 2nd ed.), that in the Warhammer-world, basically females are seen as equals. We always played it like this (had some female female-players). I can't remember where this was an issue. Did never feel wrong.

The 2nd ed. book Knights of the Grail has volumes about women pretending to be men in order to become Knights (or to do anything that isn't "stay there and be pretty"), however that's the Bretonnian way of life. Over there, any woman that wants to do more than be pretty and chug out babies has to pretend to be a man. Indeed, one of the example characters from Brionne is Thiemar Le Bel, an attractive minstrel that woos the ladies, but rebuffs their offers, and keeps his origins guarded for 2 reasons:

1. he's from a poor family of peasants from a Brionnian village

2. he's a woman, disguised as a man.

The book then says that non-Bretonnian characters can figure it out with an average Perception check, but Bretonnian characters are blind to this truth because "a woman couldn't possibly do that".

When it comes to the Empire, things are different, of course, however I'd say that there's still a fair bit of misogyny there as well, though nowhere near the same as Bretonnia. Like Valvorik said, your best and safest bet would be a Tilean, as there are famous female Tilean mercenaries, and if you want her to be a knight, just go Knight of the Blazing Sun :)

I wouldn't put on restrictions on a female PC or NPC wanting to join the Myrmidia orders as the warrior godess herself is female.

In other cases it would be a cultural matter depending on where in the Empire this takes place, I would belive in more rural area this would be out of the ordinary but possible.

If I remember correct I think I have read that in the more North and East parts of the Empire the idea of an female soldier in the first place is more uncommon then in the West or South parts.

Personally, I've never run the Empire as misogynist.  Women are pretty much able to do anything a man can do ... in the Empire.  Personally, in my world, the primary issue is racism.  Elves most especially, dwarves and halflings to a lesser extent.  Its generally a bit mitigated in cities, but outside of larger cities and in the countryside (with a few exceptions) it runs fairly rampant.  Distrust and dislike abound. Fertile grounds for Witchhunters to go about their work unhindered.

I see no reason, though, for the Empire to restrict capable women.  There are plenty of examples of women in power, from mages to priests to nobles to warriors.

That said, in general in my world most women don't find the majority of "male-dominated" careers appealing.  Soldiering is dirty sweaty physical labor, with dangerous conditions and harsh discipline.  It appeals more towards the male mindset than the female.  Women aren't forbidden to be a soldier, its just that more men than women become soldiers.

So, as long as the woman in question is physically and mentally capable of enduring the trials to become a knight of an order, I myself see no reason to treat her any differently than a man in the same position.

I don't know where I read this, but I think there was a disclaimer in some Warhammer-rulebook (guess 2nd ed.), that in the Warhammer-world, basically females are seen as equals. We always played it like this (had some female female-players). I can't remember where this was an issue. Did never feel wrong.

It's in the 2nd edition base rulebook.  However this doesn't stop me trolling a female PC when they are playing a female as long as the context is appropriate.  They can do just about everything a male can in my games but expect to be treated like crap by certain people.  The better NPCs can earn respect for the female and never mention gender again while the worst will never let it go, despite how successful the PC is.  The latter make great social antagonists if put in a position of power over the female PC.

It's even more fun when the player is female so your in character insults also effect her psych, it's very meta.  Us as males can pretend to be insulted when feeling discriminated against but many nerd women take it personally.  I find nerd women are usually more aggressive in proving they can do everything a man can, especially since they absolutely can do everything a man can do in the gaming perspective and they hate being trolled by fat nerds who live in basements and eat doritos all day.