Sign in to follow this  
Preacherman

Has anyone made any sort of EotE version of WFRP?

Like above, totaly agre. There's a chance. I think even a quite big, that FFG will make a new WFRP or update this one to standards of EotE.

I think that FFG is just waiting for a green light from GW and the changes GW will make in thew setting and timeline of the Warhammer Fantasy.

Cheers

IMO the super fast, hero-centric cinematic/campfire story feel of EotE works beautifully for that game, but it doesn't feel very Old World, imo. A further manifestation of the system that is neither WFRP 3e or EotE is more likely, if anything is to be done at all. I'm still more convinced that they'll ride the license out Fantasy-wise with board games. 40k is the money maker for rpg's, and as illustrated here the Fantasy demographic is too small, niche, and neurotic to offer much innovation or product support that will net a decent profit. Nothing to do but sit back, wait, and disagree with one another until FFG gives us some news :)

IMO the super fast, hero-centric cinematic/campfire story feel of EotE works beautifully for that game, but it doesn't feel very Old World, imo. A further manifestation of the system that is neither WFRP 3e or EotE is more likely, if anything is to be done at all. I'm still more convinced that they'll ride the license out Fantasy-wise with board games. 40k is the money maker for rpg's, and as illustrated here the Fantasy demographic is too small, niche, and neurotic to offer much innovation or product support that will net a decent profit. Nothing to do but sit back, wait, and disagree with one another until FFG gives us some news :)

And on that note, I disagree with you :)

I think the EotE feel would fit right in for WFRP campaigns, but it should be mentioned that I am against campaigns set solely in the Old World. There's so much to explore and so much stuff in the Warhammer world, that sitting only in Reikland and finding cultists for your entire role playing career seems extremely limited to me :)

And on that note, I disagree with you :)

I think the EotE feel would fit right in for WFRP campaigns, but it should be mentioned that I am against campaigns set solely in the Old World. There's so much to explore and so much stuff in the Warhammer world, that sitting only in Reikland and finding cultists for your entire role playing career seems extremely limited to me :)

Now, I actually agree with your disagreement :) Warhammer Fantasy IS huge, but how to best explore it? I suppose the reason I'm against the current EotE system for Warhammer is that it's too simple for my tastes. I'm not saying that we need a heavy crunch, Pathfinder-esque system, but in a few ways if I want a "fast and furious" Warhammer Fantasy i feel like Savage Worlds or Fate would get that job done better than the Triumph and Despair dance of Edge.  It's too predictable, and also currently a hassle to work in enough black and red dice to make it Chaos worthy :) Hey, I love Edge. I GM it. It just doesn't feel right to me for Warhammer Fantasy.

Edited by GMmL

EotE is a good game but to make it a little more dark and grim to match the WFRP feeling it would need some changes. Those changes could also break the game. But based on it You can make a decent fantasy RPG set in a different setting - Runebound would be perfect becouse FFG has the rights for it. If FFG will do a fantasy RPG based on EotE then the most possible would be Terrinoth RPG - the world known fro Runebound or Descent.

So as much as I would love to see a WFRP handled like SW RPG lines it does not look it will see daylight.

If something will come then after GW releaseing a new WFB edition and after FFG publishes Force of Destiny for SW in 2015.

Cheers

I am looking for two players inerested in WH EotE game. I have started a playtest games, but players strted to drop after 1st sesion. I have one player who still wants to play, so I need two more at least. The scenario I run is called "Conspiracy" from a Warpstone magazine, a longer adventure. The next session is set for the 25th, 8pm gmt+1. Characters are pre-gen. If anyone is interested, please send me a pm.

@GMml: I don't know, I guess a campaign in and of itself could be a voyage to the dreaded lands of Lustria to recover "knowledge". Could be a large boat crew of various people of various backgrounds, from scribes and translators to pirates and such (that way also covering the potential character deaths and replacing them with new characters in the middle of the ocean). The voyage itself could be an adventure, with the many perils of the ocean, dark elf and high elf fleets or corsairs, black arks, maybe accidentally landing on the Vampire Coast, then eventually making their way to Lustria, where an entire other campaign takes place, etc. :)

@BerenEoath: I don't see why it wouldn't work, I think people are confusing the mechanics with the IP. I don't see how the mechanics of EotE would be non-grimdark enough. Is it cause banes don't have as many bad effects? I'm sure that could be balanced somehow. 

@BerenEoath: I don't see why it wouldn't work, I think people are confusing the mechanics with the IP. I don't see how the mechanics of EotE would be non-grimdark enough. Is it cause banes don't have as many bad effects? I'm sure that could be balanced somehow. 

Just depends on what kind of game you want to run. To do it "right" is going to take more math and playtesting than I personally want to invest. One of the big factors is deciding if the Despair is going to be your new Chaos star, and how to work that in with the standard challenge dice. Opposed checks are the most graceful thing Edge has going for it. I love the way that's handled. The green/yellow pool build is a one sided stance system, just with no 3rd tier results (tear/hourglass). Boost and setback will still function the same, but with different probabilities. Overall though there's just a very different feel when the pool hits the table. Positive results mostly outweigh negative ones in a way that I feel doesn't reflect the grit. If that's not a big deal to you a lazy man's hack could probably be made on the fly that would get the job done. Actions could be turned into Talents and assigned to careers with some work. I dunno, not impossible, but not enough there to make me want to invest the time into it. I could have Fate characters rolled up and be slinging narrative in 15 minutes.

http://maxmahem.net/wp/star-wars-edge-of-the-empire-die-probabilities/

Edited by GMmL

Just depends on what kind of game you want to run. To do it "right" is going to take more math and playtesting than I personally want to invest. One of the big factors is deciding if the Despair is going to be your new Chaos star, and how to work that in with the standard challenge dice. Opposed checks are the most graceful thing Edge has going for it. I love the way that's handled. The green/yellow pool build is a one sided stance system, just with no 3rd tier results (tear/hourglass). Boost and setback will still function the same, but with different probabilities. Overall though there's just a very different feel when the pool hits the table. Positive results mostly outweigh negative ones in a way that I feel doesn't reflect the grit. If that's not a big deal to you a lazy man's hack could probably be made on the fly that would get the job done. Actions could be turned into Talents and assigned to careers with some work. I dunno, not impossible, but not enough there to make me want to invest the time into it. I could have Fate characters rolled up and be slinging narrative in 15 minutes.

Ah yeah, definitely would require a fair bit of work. As for chaos stars, that's something I think is extremely overdone in WFRP, so the despair being used seems much better to me. It reflects the way I personally see the Warhammer world much better. With the current system, any single check can bring forth chaos stars, which just seems ridiculous to me. I know they're not always chaos related (the effects), but location card chaos stars can be harsh, as well as just random things. 

You can be the most awesome swordmaster that's lived for thousands of years and mastered the way of the sword, and while fighting the lowest gobbo you roll a chaos star and drop your weapon. Then you roll again, and you drop it again the next round. That seems less dark/gritty, and more slapstick and ridiculous.

The despair mechanic says your GM is actively making your skill check harder, he's saying "there's a serious chance you'll f up". That to me seems much better, because when you do get despair, it's as if "the powers that be" specifically made the check harder on you, like an active interest was taken by a higher power to give you unreasonably bad luck.

Ah yeah, definitely would require a fair bit of work. As for chaos stars, that's something I think is extremely overdone in WFRP, so the despair being used seems much better to me. It reflects the way I personally see the Warhammer world much better. With the current system, any single check can bring forth chaos stars, which just seems ridiculous to me. I know they're not always chaos related (the effects), but location card chaos stars can be harsh, as well as just random things. 

You can be the most awesome swordmaster that's lived for thousands of years and mastered the way of the sword, and while fighting the lowest gobbo you roll a chaos star and drop your weapon. Then you roll again, and you drop it again the next round. That seems less dark/gritty, and more slapstick and ridiculous.

The despair mechanic says your GM is actively making your skill check harder, he's saying "there's a serious chance you'll f up". That to me seems much better, because when you do get despair, it's as if "the powers that be" specifically made the check harder on you, like an active interest was taken by a higher power to give you unreasonably bad luck.

I can appreciate your points of view on it. Don't give up on the Warhammer humor, though :) Because Orks.

I'm in the process of writing a conversion.  I'm using the EotE dice and not the WFRP ones, as that conversion doesn't really work since the dice are system specific.  In fact, I'm more converting WFRP second edition if anything.

The major differences between EotE and my conversion are:

* Career system similar to WFRP 2nd edition as opposed to career/specializations.
* Changed talent purchasing since I'm not using specialization charts.  Talents are just career or non-career.
* Same thing with skills.  Also, made some skills cost less XP than others so that less valuable skills would be acquired.
* Added Melee and Ranged characteristics, like Weapon Skill and Ballistic Skill.
* Generally more emphasis on melee with skills, talents, and weapons.
* Fate and fortune points work similarly to destiny points (though not exactly), but I removed the whole light side/dark side balancing mechanism.
* Adding insanity, disease, and corruption.
* More emphasis on fear and terror.

There are a bunch of other changes, but generally I'm going for a slightly darker tone than EotE, but not too much.  I think the EotE system is the best I've ever read, and I use the rules from it as much as possible.

I've run a few sessions with my system and so far it has been incredibly successful.  Honestly some of the best roleplaying sessions I've ever been in.

If you're interested in checking it out, here's a link to my work in progress: https://gingkoapp.com/rpg-system

I'm using a system called Gingko to write it, which is a great way to organize your work, but it might take you a minute to figure it out.  Basically, it uses a tree system, with general subjects to the left and specific information to the right.

Let me know what you think!