Sign in to follow this  

One of my favourite characters from back in the day playing WEGs version of Star Wars was a Jawa with an unpronounceable name that my compatriots nick named Bill. I had a blast playing the little mechanic who tinkered his way through adventures building up an impressive collection of modified Droids while jazzing up our ride on his off time. He made for a half decent spy as well when he hollowed out an R2 unit, got inside and drove it around using a little control unit. He was not much in a straight up fight but that was what the other PCs were for!

I look forward to seeing their treatment in the game then and hope it comes sooner than later!

I'm young enough to have been able to to see the OT in theaters, so I always thought Jawas were just Ewoks born in the desert. They just wore cloaks to keep the sun off of them.

I love the Jawa's but I was disapointed that they've been described as looking like bipedal rats.  I've always pictured them more like the podlings from dark crystal.

Well, that "rat"thing... Was it ever part of cannon because as far as I know this was somehow established in an EU thing once and never repeated again... I chose to ignore it amyway.

I love the Jawa's but I was disapointed that they've been described as looking like bipedal rats.  I've always pictured them more like the podlings from dark crystal.

Well, that "rat"thing... Was it ever part of cannon because as far as I know this was somehow established in an EU thing once and never repeated again... I chose to ignore it amyway.

I believe it was mentioned in the original novelization of Star Wars.

I believe it was mentioned in the original novelization of Star Wars.

Wow, seriously? That might one of those times where "the book isn't better" then!

It is funny how many things were done the way they were because effects were no up to snuff at the time or they were just throwaway ideas. We all ended up with different ideas to fill in the gaps. What did jawas look like? Who were the Mandalorians? What is a Jabba? What were the Clone Wars? Much of this we've had fleshed out by now, for better or worse. Nothing wrong with making it your own in your game though.

Edited by mouthymerc

Characteristics: Brawn 1, Agility 3, Intellect 2, Cunning 3, Willpower 2, Presence 1

Wound Threshold: Brawn + 9

Strain Threshold: Willpower + 10

Starting XP: 100

Special Abilities: Free rank in Mechanics (max of 2 ranks), free rank in Utinni!, remove a Setback die imposed due to hot or arid environmental conditions.

Size: Jawas are Silhouette 0

Donovan, I am curious as to why the Agility 3 and Presence 1, while keeping 100 xp.

In the few species (Toydarian, Weekay, Chevin, Drall, Selonian) FFG so far pushed beyond the initial chars boundaries of +1/-1 of the average, all had 90xp or less.

I wonder whether they did so to lessen the impact of being given double 3 chars during creation, and to have the player realize that upgrading those 1 chars will be expensive.

Furthermore, Jawas, from the movies, seem to be adept at negotiation (presence), and overall interacting with humans at least, suggesting their presence is not that low. Then, their movement - somewhat indicative of agility - do not look any more agile than humans.

Thus, I am just curious as to the reasoning. 

Thanks

Episode IV: A New Hope describes jawas as "filthy little creatures".  The canon includes references to their horrible stench, and while jawas ply their scrap, they are fairly reclusive and generally reviled.   They are so hideous and odious that they have to cover their stinky, ratlike bodies.  Presence 1 makes a lot of sense.  Given their diminutive size and strength, Brawn 1 makes obvious sense as well.  

So, two 3s were meant to offset to the two 1s maybe?   Cunning is a very jawa trait.  Deceitful and perceptive junk collectors and dealers.  So, Cunning 3 makes sense.  Agility is not an obvious offset to that 1 Presence, but I can see how a race of scurrying rat-like tinkers would develop dexterity.  It's tough to identify a better trait for them to offset at 3.

As for the 100xp, I think maybe 90xp is better.   I guess it depends on how you would value the jawa's species bonus abilities vs. those of the other extreme species you mentioned, Ceodryn. 

edit:  There's also the disadvantage jawas face with their wound and strain threshold relative to the other extreme races you mention, Ceodryn.  So maybe the 100xp is fairer than I originally thought.  

Donovan, please enlighten us all.

Edited by Ghazi

In my last game the GM just had me take an extra 5 Obligation: Jawa and called it a day (otherwise we were using the Jawa write up in The Unofficial Species Menagerie - v3.0).

EDIT: It was to "make up" for the perceived "extra power" of being Sil 0 that one of the other players was whining about. I didn't mind, extra Ob means extra problems, means extra chances to "fix things".

Edited by evileeyore

I have a player that is a Jawa in one of my games.  He is hillarious, but I think the main appeal for the man behind the jawa is just to run around and yell 'Utinni!'.  I don't get it, but I have a lot of fun with him.  I can usually find some excuse to make his life miserable because of his smell, or by giving him parasites. Dirty little critters...He is a great sport, btw.  I'm sure we all have a character in mind that we would love to run where others will look at us and go, 'WTF???' To each his own :D

Since the thread is alive again... I have always loved Jawas.  Part of it is for the mystery of the species.  Part is just for their comedic antics.  I was happy when the Old Republic games featured Jawas in part of the story.  My favorite part of playing a Bounty Hunter in SWTOR was getting Blizz as a companion.

Blizz.png

I would love to play a Jawa in a game sometime.

^ THIS is exactly why I want to play a Jawa.."Jed the Jawa Jedi"...8) 

Though I suspect his Lightsaber would have dangling wires, patchwork pieces and the like...

Well that and Blizz...cause Blizz is hilarious and bad-ass...

Jawas have a lot of flavor.  I can tell you that the Jawas were the highlight of my last visit to Disney World.  As to why people like them... I suppose they get play for the same reason people play halflings.  They feel like the quintessential underdog.  Nobody expects too much from them so when they do something cool it is that much more awesome.  They are small so people often underestimate them.  Plus they naturally possess a certain amount of built in comic relief which many people find appealing.

Oh I'm sure I could come up with plenty of ideas aside from the Jawa Jedi...8D 

Jawa Beast Rider...lightweight jockeys! 

Jawa Bounty Hunter...Power Armor, Hooooo! 

Jawa Sith Lord...Force Lightning to Jump Start vehicles! 

Jawa Marshall..."Utini!" "What did it say?"...I think it said "Freeze"..."Utinni!" 

Jawa Droid Mechanic...rides around in a custom-modified Droid-Chair with a small army of Droids/Drones...that's actually kind of scary...8D 

Jawa Doctor..."Utinni?"..."I think that's his spleen-equivalent sir...his appendix-equivalent should be higher up..." *shrugs* "Utinni..." *tosses organ over shoulder*