Sign in to follow this  
SoulCrusherEx

Free actions need clarify !!

Sorry to back track but this one still gets me. If I put Expert Handling on my B-Wing can I barrel roll AND boost (added engine upgrade) on the same turn seeing as the barrel roll allowed by Expert Handling is a 'Free Action'?

Sorry mate: using Expert Handling is an action in its own right: It is a potentially stressful Barrel-Roll that pulls a Target Lock off of you.

You can still Boost and Barrel Roll through Push the Limit, though...

Sorry to back track but this one still gets me. If I put Expert Handling on my B-Wing can I barrel roll AND boost (added engine upgrade) on the same turn seeing as the barrel roll allowed by Expert Handling is a 'Free Action'?

Sorry mate: using Expert Handling is an action in its own right: It is a potentially stressful Barrel-Roll that pulls a Target Lock off of you.

You can still Boost and Barrel Roll through Push the Limit, though...

EH is the action and in it is a free action to do a barrel roll action. So you can choose EH as your action and do the barrel roll granted by EH.

Please correct me if I am wrong

Assuming Vader has engine upgrade and daredevil

He could boost (action 1) and then hard 1 turn (action 2) and then receive a stress token

But if he does the daredevil hard 1 turn (action 1) but then he is unable to do his second action because he received a stress token

???

Please correct me if I am wrong

Assuming Vader has engine upgrade and daredevil

He could boost (action 1) and then hard 1 turn (action 2) and then receive a stress token

But if he does the daredevil hard 1 turn (action 1) but then he is unable to do his second action because he received a stress token

???

Correct.

so i played it wrong, ok !!!   :P

but...

this game is evolving like magic the gathering... phase 1, mid-step between phase 1 and 2, phase 2, mid-step between phase 2 and 3, phase 3...

"After executing a green maneuver" means just after, so not in the same moment, so in the next phase...

there is not a mid-step between 2 phases...   :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

So if I'm the active player, i'm the one who decides what happens before and after during a phase...   :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Uhm...  Not really.

I think the confusion here comes because the original rules overloaded "Execute a maneuver" as the step, and "execute a maneuver" as something to do.  In the "Execute a maneuver" step, you "execute a maneuver".

Unless something specifically refers to a step, it means a game event.  In this case, executing a maneuver.  So Night Beast triggers from you completing the maneuver.  There is no mid-phase, but you don't get to decide what happens in a phase.  His ability triggers from your maneuver, which is in Step 3.  You don't move to Step 4 until after Night Beast has resolved his ability.

This is probably a noob question but can Vader and fighters equipped with PTL use one of their actions in the activation phase and then save the second (or both) for the attack phase?

Sorry, but no.  Actions must be performed at the end of activation unless the card (think Advance Sensors) specifically says otherwise.

That's what I thought. I have read things on this board like "rolling out if a firing arc after performing an attack" and I wondered how that would be done.I know one of the interceptor pilots has that as a skill. I guess he is the only one.

Turr would indeed be the only one who can do that, although Airen Cracken will add some potential for it too.

Basically, you can take an action when something says you can take an action.  Barring other effects, you get one action during the Perform Action step, and that's it.  Any cards or abilities which grant free actions will tell you when they activate - PtL is after an action, Lando lets another ship take a free action after a green maneuver, Night Beast after his own green maneuver, etc.

In all cases (for all abilities in X-wing, not just actions) when the trigger condition for an ability is met, it goes off right then.  You have to complete that ability before moving on to the next step, there's no banking it for later, whether it's R2-D2 giving a shield back or Turr taking an extra action.

For a fun bonus example, try putting Push the Limit on Turr.  Perform your maneuver, focus, attack, barrel roll, then use Push the Limit to boost, or evade if you can't clear the arc.  Turr's always an unlucky pilot for me - he tends to get one-shotted by YT-1300s on a regular basis - but this is one seriously fun maneuver when you blast something and leave them wondering where you went.

He still gets the thing from doing a green maneuver, but he would lose his regular action.

Would Night Beast still get the token from the green maneuver? Before the ruling about stress removal I would agree but now I am not so sure...

He still gets the thing from doing a green maneuver, but he would lose his regular action.

Would Night Beast still get the token from the green maneuver? Before the ruling about stress removal I would agree but now I am not so sure...

If you overlap another ship you lose your Perform Action Step, but nothing else.  You can still perform actions freely.

If you overlap while performing a green maneuver, you still complete the maneuver, and anything that triggers from that (stress removal, R2-D2, Night Beast) still triggers appropriately.

So:

3.  Execute green maneuver.  Overlap, adjust position

3a.  Night Beast's ability triggers.

3b.  Take free focus action.  Can complete?  Yes.

4.  Stress check.  Nothing happens.

6.  Perform Action Step - SKIPPED due to overlap.

If NB starts it stressed, it would look like this:

3.  Execute green maneuver.  Overlap, adjust position

3a.  Night Beast's ability triggers.

3b.  Take free focus action.  Can complete?  NO - ship is stressed.

4.  Stress check.  Performed a green, remove stress.

6.  Perform Action Step - SKIPPED due to overlap.

Turr would indeed be the only one who can do that, although Airen Cracken will add some potential for it too.

TIE-Phantoms with an EPT and equipped with ACD will have that potential as well. Whisper with PTL and ACD will be able to attack, take a cloak action based off that attack and trigger PTL off of the cloak action.

And, with some work you could pull it off with Jake Farrell out of Rebel Aces, he and Garven are going to be buddies. :P.

None of them are as easy as Turr of course.