Sign in to follow this  
SoulCrusherEx

Free actions need clarify !!

well we know that push the limit and night best give ya free actions

the rule book sais not allowed to do same action in the same round.

so vader cant double barrel roll cause the 2nd action isnt a free one ok

but can an a wing with PTL really boost twice ?`or night beast focus twice after performing green like his ability sais ?

Ships cannot preform the same action twice in one round.  "Free action" is a term used to describe actions taken aside from the single action that the ship would normal take during the activation phase.  All other rules about actions still apply to the Free Action, including the limitation of each action only being once per round and the inability to preform actions when stressed

Kyle Katarn or Garvan can PASS a ship a focus even after that ship has already focusses, because that isn't actually a "Focus Action".   A ship could in THEORY do a double boost if a card instructed a ship to perform a "1-speed maneuver" separate from its action.  

Moreover, the action-granting upgrades tend to be very carefully worded to avoid giving a double-boost or a double-barrel-roll.

Note that this is pretty much the reason for the errata to Expert Handling.  Previously it allowed you to stick it on Vader and he could do one Barrel Roll and one Expert Handling (which included a barrel roll that wasn't an action as part of it).  With the errata, the Barrel Roll that's part of Expert Handling is now a free action and so cannot be done if Vader has already Barrel Rolled or vice versa.

Kyle Katarn or Garvan can PASS a ship a focus even after that ship has already focusses, because that isn't actually a "Focus Action".   A ship could in THEORY do a double boost if a card instructed a ship to perform a "1-speed maneuver" separate from its action.  

*cough cough Daredevil cough*

Getting a token from a trigger of some kind (like receiving a stress token) is not taking a free action. So Soontir Fel can take a Focus action, then use Push the Limit and take an Evade action, which gives him a Stress token and, because of his ability, receives a second Focus token.

I see now.  Thank you for the clarification.  Token vs. Action.  For a game with such simple rules and easy to start playing...there is an amazing amount of complexity once you add in pilot abilities and upgrades.

For a game with such simple rules and easy to start playing...there is an amazing amount of complexity once you add in pilot abilities and upgrades.

Welcome to X-Wing. ;)

The rules use some keywords with a very large degree of consistency. Action is one of them.

one doubt

All other rules about actions still apply to the Free Action, including the limitation of each action only being once per round and the inability to preform actions when stressed

can stressed Turr perform a free BR/Boost after an attack?

However, Push the Limit can be used off of free-actions if it hasn't yet been used that turn.

Turr Phennir + PtL goes thusly:

Move
Pre-combat action if unstressed.
Attack

Post-attack free Boost or Barrel Roll action if unstressed.
Activate PtL if activated Free Boost or Barrel Roll action
Free action if activated PtL
Receive stress if activated PtL
Laugh at your opponents' inability to actually shoot at Turr

Edited by DraconPyrothayan

hi! in the FAQ there is something new to me...

with night beast (pag 7) it is written...

If “Night Beast” is stressed before he

executes a green maneuver, he cannot
perform a free focus action since the free
action is granted before the stress is
removed during the “Check Pilot Stress” step.

so, if i've done a k-turn, taking a stress, and in the next turn i do a green move, Night Beast do NOT take his free focus ?!?

REALLY ?!?

Is it something new or I've always play it wrong ?!?

Thanks!

Its due to the sequence for removing stress and when Night beast gets his free focus. The free focus is given after the green maneuver, which is step 3 (page 7) of the Activation phase. Check Pilot Stress is step 4. Since you can't perform actions while stressed, Night Beast can't use the free focus action until he has cleared his stress.

Edited by Sergovan

so i played it wrong, ok !!!   :P

but...

this game is evolving like magic the gathering... phase 1, mid-step between phase 1 and 2, phase 2, mid-step between phase 2 and 3, phase 3...

"After executing a green maneuver" means just after, so not in the same moment, so in the next phase...

there is not a mid-step between 2 phases...   :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

So if I'm the active player, i'm the one who decides what happens before and after during a phase...   :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Sorry to back track but this one still gets me. If I put Expert Handling on my B-Wing can I barrel roll AND boost (added engine upgrade) on the same turn seeing as the barrel roll allowed by Expert Handling is a 'Free Action'?

Sorry to back track but this one still gets me. If I put Expert Handling on my B-Wing can I barrel roll AND boost (added engine upgrade) on the same turn seeing as the barrel roll allowed by Expert Handling is a 'Free Action'?

Since a B wing has the barrel roll action in its action bar, EH won't give you a stress if you choose it as your action. If you can do two actions in a round (PTL, lando's ability, squad leader...) you could do EH as your action (and not gain a stress token) and then use your second action on boost. 

If you had a ship that did not have the barrel roll action in its action bar, then it depends on the timing. You could do boost and then EH but not EH then Boost (because EH will give you a stress token and that blocks you from doing your second action).