Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Khyros

Age of X wing players

108 posts in this topic

Again, that is all stuff that rolls over from being either an adult or teen, its a person personality and how they are raised. I was playing table top since 13-14 and most players enjoyed my company because we would talk about tactics, have good sportsmen ship, complemented each others great play, etc. Magic breeds a certain group, while in my LGS I over heard an older guy just trying to BS rules (I don't know them but I could tell it was not the correct way due to how every one was reacting and how he would react when they would bring up the rulebook/FAQs) so magic is a bad pool to pick from. I've had people just flip out they were losing to a younger player as well. Then I've had a really shy teenager that started to play and he actually opened up while playing, literally the first time I had ever seen him so happy and animated which that alone made that game enjoyable. So, don't just generalize the whole group of players because you've had a bad experience or two, because I've had my fair share from both groups and both can be great players but each have their problem cases.

Gamers are gamers, don't try to invalidate someone's experience because they play a different game. My experience is from the last 20+ years playing various games ( including D&D, MTG, WoW:TCG, Star Wars CCG, Warhammer Fantasy/40k, Warmachine, Firestorm Armada, and Xwing just to name a few).

This is also coming from experience From small town LGS, to Games Workshop Hobby Centers, Fantasy Flight Game's own store in Roseville, MN, GenCon general gaming sessions, and beer/pretzel games in a friend's basement. In multiple states from the midwest to the east/west coat (thank you military for moving me everywhere!).

Young children + games that require anything more than the most basic amounts of attention tend to = a meltdown and frustrating session/environment for older or more mature gamers.

Go ask any LGS owner what demographic causes them the most stress/drama. I'll bet they respond that it's the 14 and under crowd.

Edited by HunterEste

And I've seen more meltdown's and frustrating sessions with those that are physically older than from those younger kids I've gamed with. Some kids can handle it, some can't. Thing is, I'm more likely to be forgiving to a child than to a man-child.

LeoHowler likes this

And I've seen more meltdown's and frustrating sessions with those that are physically older than from those younger kids I've gamed with. Some kids can handle it, some can't. Thing is, I'm more likely to be forgiving to a child than to a man-child.

On average you'd agree that younglings melting down is more common than....'man-children' :P

Nataris likes this

I think that this particular game also attracts some older-ish players simply due to its source material

Lots of kids today still like Star Wars, sure, but how many of them have that special love for the original trilogy era.  I'm 28, I grew up playing the old PC games and owning micro machines and action fleet figures of the various fighters and ships (I actually have the action fleet TIE defender which is apparently rare enough to sell for $100+ in some places, but I digress).  Getting into this game was a natural fit, even though I barely played tabletop games at all, and I never would have considered spending $500+ on any kind of tabletop game before.

Essentially, this game can be a bit expensive depending on how much you decide to collect for it (even a basic collection can be $100-$200).  That already makes it harder for kids and even some college students to get into it, but now you also have to ask if that demographic would even feel like it is worth the investment.

Edited by Effenhoog

iam 21 years old now and played and still paly warhammer 40k for years now and my 6 player strong 40k group plays X wing alongside warhammer cause of me ^^ we have one 14 years old one and the rest starts with 20 up to 30 ;P

just sayin that x wing is a good relaxing game after a big warhammer match.

cant wait for my first touarnement on march 15

Edited by SoulCrusherEx

I think that this particular game also attracts some older-ish players simply due to its source material

Lots of kids today still like Star Wars, sure, but how many of them have that special love for the original trilogy era.  I'm 28, I grew up playing the old PC games and owning micro machines and action fleet figures of the various fighters and ships (I actually have the action fleet TIE defender which is apparently rare enough to sell for $100+ in some places, but I digress).  Getting into this game was a natural fit, even though I barely played tabletop games at all, and I never would have considered spending $500+ on any kind of tabletop game before.

Essentially, this game can be a bit expensive depending on how much you decide to collect for it (even a basic collection can be $100-$200).  That already makes it harder for kids and even some college students to get into it, but now you also have to ask if that demographic would even feel like it is worth the investment.

In the defense of the cost, it's a heck of alot cheaper than other miniature war games. Some of those 40k armies are easily $500+ (plus the darn things are invalidated every 2 years when the new codexes launch!). Some MTG T2 competitive decks also easily top that $100-200 mark.

Bang for buck, X-Wing miniatures isn't bad. Heck...the winning list this year was 4 fighters (the 2xw and 2 bw list), that's $60...pretty affordable!

I don't care about the age of my opponents. If they know the rules, play fair, try their best even when defeat is inevitable, play graciously even when they're cleaning me off the map... it's all good. But I've seen players have meltdowns of any age group. It's not limited to any one demographic.

Personally though, my most disliked person to play against is the ultra-precise rules lawyer.

I'll be 50 in june... and I game with a group of guys close, but younger than myself. Another group I game with runs Wings of Glory.. we range from a guy just a little older than me, to the kids one guy brings.. teens, but pretty cool usually.

I also got the kids of one of my friends into it, and they are well behaved and rather mature for their age... good kids..

I think every crowd has to gel to really be successful, and even the kids can be good additions.

Lol... now that said.. a couple years ago at RockCon, a local convention, we had a father and son join our Wings of Glory game. It was going alright until the little guy got his plane shot down... then the tears started.. a few of us chuckled, but dad came to the rescue and tried to get his son quieted down, he gave up one of his ships and got the waterworks shut down,, and when the kid got shot down a few turns later he took it like a champ.. lol.. so.. good and bad, its how you teach them to play... and win or lose,, enjoy the game..

So I am 33 and my wife is 26. I can tell you that it is an outstanding game that I enjoy and my wife is wants to learn it in the next couple of days.

Edited by Cubanboy

34, and I haven't seen anyone here (NZ) playing that is under 20. Last tournament I went to I don't think anyone was under 30.

25, and the gamer group I have runs the entire age gamut pretty much. Most are roughly in our 20's-30's but there are many exceptions.

40 here. But when I was a teen, I was racing cars, chasing girls, smoking in the bathroom, and drinking stuff I should not been. There was no time to stand at a table pushing toys around. The teens today probably think their time is better spent doing other things also.

MikeEMcGee and Two_Hands like this

Rookie Pilot here. (21 pts) Several of my friends are around my age and have some X-Wing swag. Only two of those people that own it actually play regularly. Sadly, one is out of State.

I taught my parents how to play. My first match was with my older brother. I plan to teach anyone I know that would be interested in trying it out provided that they 1. can understand the game and 2. treat my miniatures with respect (never touch the laser cannons).

Geoffy likes this

I think you misunderstood me. I am not invalidating any one yet you are invalidating what I say because our personal experiences differ. I am saying from my personal experience any age group will have its share of none polite gamers. Now this isn't saying all are like that nor is it same in every group. I will game with who ever and where ever as long as my opponents are considerate and share the same enthusiasm of the game.

And to answer your question about the LGSs, the local one encourages younger gamers with specific scheduling for groups to get together to play with younger ones, and there are a few young ones that play at other times and I've never heard any one have issues with it.

Edit:quoting from a phone doesn't work well.

Edited by Hujoe Bigs
Syleh Forge likes this

good conversation!!  i am 48 and started this game mainly because i thought the miniatures were really cool looking, grew up playing games like Sopwith,Starfleet battles, modern warfare, modern navel warfare,squad leader, SPI's Airwar. pretty much any game by Avlon Hill. even played magic realm.. which i liked much better then D&D which most of the kids in my hood flocked too, never really liked the never ending aspect of that game nor the fact that you needed a DM to play and it was kind of made up as you went along.. magic realm eliminated all the DM silliness! Any way as far as teens not playing i think its a combo of what others are saying, too busy trying to chase girls, AND no disposable income to use on miniatures, (car stereos, fart pipes and cell phones are expensive!!!!). seems like the "magic' crowd is significantly younger than the "miniature crowd"

Will I look to be the old fogy in the mix, will be 67 this month, been gaming since well since.  My son got me started on X-Wing, because I was looking for something new, that was fast and fun.  Oh and dont think because I am 67 that I am out of it.  I walk 2 to 3 miles a day and during the summer I bike 12 to 15 miles.  I have seen both kids and old timers freak out at games and believe me both can be ugly.

Chris Maes likes this

35 here. Seems to be pretty average then  :P - most people I know that play the game (and that's not many) are in their 20s to 30s, too.

Rocket launcher is going to celebrate the 20th anniversary of his 20th birthday :blink:

Ages range from 18 to 40ish at our club...

IQ is about 15 years old!

Seems 30ish is the average age, and I am going to add myself to that group as well because I will be 29 in May.  

The group I play with are all in their 30s except for the few guys that have kids old enough to be into the game as well.   

I am 31. Have been gaming RPG's Boardganes and Tabletops actively for almost 20 years. Used to play mtg back in 1994-1998 and tried it again 2012 for a brief period. That's for the background. I think age does not matter at all with behaviour, I played with 11 year olds 40k and mtg with 50 ish people and everything in between. I had lots of great times and some not so great ones. For examples the worst experiences where with older people of 25+, I.e. I went to a mtg release tournament and did beat in a fair game one of the local hero's, who got upset over it and set with crossed arms and almost crying through the other two games. And folded in the end. This guy was at least 21. Another example was when a guy insisted in having his kid play drakon with us. But instead of helping the kid with rules and stuff he used all of his own turns to assist his son and thus ruined the experience for the rest. The younger kids are most of the time happy to have an older fellow play with them at all and if you tree eat them with respect they as well will try their outermost to give you a great experience. ...

So imho I rather play a teen or kid than a grumpy smelly older guy who then bis he is the best and gets upset if he gets beaten. A kid is allowed to get upset but will receive help and if you just insist shaking hands before and after and stressing that the main thing is a great time to be had by all participants you almost never run into problems....

Also even if you get frustrated due to bad dice etc. and want to fold that is fine but state the reason why: stress you are willing to have another game but admit that you are sorry but atm you are not having dun. Which is up to you and not cased by your opponent. Also if you lose ask your opponent about what you could have done better or different.

Shortly said I do not care about age. I care about your behaviour than playing. 

Revanchist likes this