Sign in to follow this  
TheLostNavigator

Mission Ideas

Hey guys.

I've started running a campaign using Inquistior Tyburn Ornelius Graves. He is a Adept who remaind onboard a Ship and administrates several cells of acolytes, involving himself in only the most important investigations. He is secretly an Istvaanian, believing that Imperium grows stronger in conflict, and therefore uses his position to create turmoil. The PC were recruited as muscle to assist his interrogator, who dies during the investigation. Completing the investigation, they impress Inquisitor Graves, who uses them as a tool to further his goals.

The missions he allocates the PCs seem like genuine Inquisitorial responses to heresies, but hide alterior motives. For example the first mission was to assist the Adeptus Arbites quell an underhives rebellion. This was instigated by Graves as a distraction, while a different cell stole an item from Arbites Precinct Fortress. Later I plan for the PC to meet up with a acolyte cell that is suspicious of the Inquisitor and to share that with the PCs. My problem is that I've run out of ideas for missions.

Currently I have some mission Ideas:

The inquisitor sends the PCs with a Group of Ministorum priests to assess a new imperial cult on a frontier world. These priests are suspicious and are under Graves orders to proclaim the cult heretical irrelevant of the truth and begin a Chaos cult on the planet. The PCs are to be executors, but will be torn between following common sense or inquisitor orders.

A space hulk appears and the Inquisitor recognizes one of the vessel in the mass that was carrying a Daemonhost. Forced to act quickly before others reach the Hulk first he sends the closest cell to retrieve a 'target'

The PCs are sent to investigate a series of sacrifices happening in a Hive. They will find a cultist performing rituals from a forbidden text. After retrieving this text the PCs are attacked by another cell under accusations of heresy for possessing the cultists text. Graves is hoping to eliminate at least one of two troubling cells, who are beginning to suspect him. (This is to be when the PC meet with another cell who share suspicions of Graves)

Unfortunately I have run out of ideas for missions that help to create suspicion. Any ideas? Thanks

Not being great on generating ideas myself... but one ressource I find invaluable is this list: http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/blueroom/plots.htm

Also, what I do when I get stuck is watch some TV series (not soaps), as they tend to have just the complexity and length of an average RPG scenario (just make sure you pick some that your players haven't watched). You can take the essence of the storyline and rearrange the bits and pieces to fit your background - it's easier that one thinks at first.
Finally, I have found writing very helpful. Just writing the outline of a scene I have in mind somehow magically gets my mind working on the "how did this transpire" part. It is important to relax, though, and just write without censoring your thoughts.

I like your ideas so far, and my advice would be to just go along with what you already have, chances are your players will do things that spark other scenarios. If not, talk to them, ask them what they liked so far and what not, it might give you leads on what to do next - and in any case, you're human and doing most of the work so the group can have fun, so don't hesitate to ask for a break for a couple of weeks so you can find your inspiration again.

Good luck!

One thing I would note is that it appears that Graves is quite happy to stray into, if not exactly dabbling, then certainly manipulating chaos cults.  This is a very dangerous path he is taking even for an Isstavanian. 

The other issue is that how can the PCs compete with Graves and do they even want to.  I would allow the PCs a chance to learn the truth and then make a choice whether to betray/fight their master or actually join him whole heartedly.

Remember that for Graves the Isstavanian philosephy may also apply to his own schemes, he wants their to be turmoil within his own organisation so that the strongest survive.

I am planning on allowing Graves to escape and become a possible recurring villan. He will also try to convince PCs to join him, or at least justify his Istvaaninan views (after all the PCs would not have become the aspiring Acolyte if they weren't brought under his employ).

I have also been watching TV and movies for missions.

It is an interesting campaign idea but I think you are expecting too much for players to go up against their inquisitor boss. The whole premises of DH is based on acolytes obeying their inquisitor master and thus rising in his esteem until they become an inquisitor themselves. To expect them to challenge that is asking a lot without some prompting or guidance. To achieve this, you need proper pacing to set the scene and ideally another master they could serve.

So for pacing, they should first experience a few sessions in which the inquisitor foments trouble by executing imperial officials of some kind on the flimsiest of evidence. Perhaps he sends two cells (including the players’ cell) to a planet to eliminate a cult and the other cell simply kill every priest they can find. Will the players do the same, try to stop the other cell or complain to their boss? And how does the boss react?

These things slowly set the scene for unmasking the inquisitor as a nutjob istvaanian.

Alternatively, you could have the players watched (and let them notice it) and then subsequently contacted by another inquisitor (or agent of another inquisitor) who informs them of the misdeeds of their boss and that he is to be purged on orders of the conclave and that they can save their sorry asses if they help bring this happy state about. Then the players can decide who to serve and to what end.

They are indeed being watched and they are going to serve under another Inquisitor to "take down" their former boss and prove their innocence (this is all to come in much later). What I was looking for is other mission ideas that will make PCs suspicious. The other thing is that their Inquisitor is a gimpy Adept who's power lies in organisation, not combat.

They are indeed being watched and they are going to serve under another Inquisitor to "take down" their former boss and prove their innocence (this is all to come in much later). What I was looking for is other mission ideas that will make PCs suspicious. The other thing is that their Inquisitor is a gimpy Adept who's power lies in organisation, not combat.

The Inquisitor may be physically weak but his power is far reaching to say the least.  Given that most acolytes start as pretty humble servants of the Imperium the Inquisitor can always just call a large squad of Arbites and say

'Please execute these people'

Arbite replies 'why?' 

Inquisitor says 'They are heretics and I am an Inquisitor..its classified'. 

And that is the end of the story from the Arbites POV! (In fact most wouldn't even ask why to an Inquisitor).  Whatever plot or scheme you come up with you have to consider that in terms of dealing with the Acolytes the Inquisitor has a rediculous level of power to call upon other members of the Imperium.

Edited by Visitor Q

So if I am correct you need some things that would make your players suspicious about their boss?

Abuse of power, inactivity in the face of a threat to the Imperium, or even outright failure to adhere to the tenets of the Imperium would all be red flags for god-emperor fearing acolytes.

So these sessions should revolve around those themes.

Abuse of power is difficult as inquisitors have a broad remit but even they can be sanctioned. Easier plots would be some nasty, unforgiven stuff done by the inquisitor and which may never see the light of day. Hence the acolytes are used to eliminate the evidence.

Perhaps he created a cult to stir things up on a planet and see if the arbites/sob/IG etc. were all up to snuff. And now that cult has to be destroyed lest his involvement comes out. During their investigation & purge, the acolytes find evidence of a cult master who can't be found on the planet. This cult master can subsequently be linked to an alias of their boss.

Another session could revolve around a rival inquisitor who is trying to find evidence about their boss' activities and denounce him before the conclave. The acolytes are sent to kill this dangerous heretic who is masquerading as an inquisitor.

As the rogue inquisitor is an adept, knowledge is his thing. To prevent evidence of his data searches (for heretical knowledge) becoming known, he has been destroying libraries and killing off the data clerks. The players, on a separate mission, are begged by a librarian to find out who is destroying the libraries on the planet (or system). Will they find evidence linking their own boss to the crimes?

Just a few random thoughts....