Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JediKnightAmoeba

Next Expansion?

118 posts in this topic

Was just downloading the PDF's for the two most recent expansions and noticed that The Firelands is TM11 and The Nether Realm is TM13, so what then is TM12 and how comes it's taken longer to come out then the ones either side of it.

DomaGB likes this

Well, I'm guessing TM12 is an expansion that started before The Nether Realm began, but The Nether Realm ended up being released first. Nether Realm is smaller, after all. Means there should be a new expansion on the way!

Once the fourth corner is out, I'm hoping for a grand finale expansion. I would like something that doesn't simply add more Adventure Cards, but something interesting that allows Talisman to go out with a bang. Although I don't think it is the style of FFG to have "finale" expansions.

Yeah TM12 has been mentioned before, and am surprised how little has been said about it.

All this talk about after the 4th corner and master sets, got me thinking, and while I really miss master characters from Talisman City 2nd edition, and want it really bad, I am not sure if that's gonna happen, but how about a Limited Edition Talisman Master set?

A new board, made smaller, different graphics, maybe graphics or text to match or enhance the expansions, like extra text saying, "Enter Highlands here" and perhaps the Master set includes the 4 corner expansions, also made smaller to fit with the new smaller board. Leaving out the small non board expansions to be added by the owners as they see fit. Higher quality boards, and an increase in price for this better quality (not saying the quality now is bad, cause it's not, just better!).

A new Main board, and 4 expansions in 1 set, sell it for like $200-$300.

JediKnightAmoeba likes this

Yeah TM12 has been mentioned before, and am surprised how little has been said about it.

All this talk about after the 4th corner and master sets, got me thinking, and while I really miss master characters from Talisman City 2nd edition, and want it really bad, I am not sure if that's gonna happen, but how about a Limited Edition Talisman Master set?

A new board, made smaller, different graphics, maybe graphics or text to match or enhance the expansions, like extra text saying, "Enter Highlands here" and perhaps the Master set includes the 4 corner expansions, also made smaller to fit with the new smaller board. Leaving out the small non board expansions to be added by the owners as they see fit. Higher quality boards, and an increase in price for this better quality (not saying the quality now is bad, cause it's not, just better!).

I second this.  

To expand on my master set idea, but not sure if I like it, but what if the Master board had the 4 corner expansions built in! How would you folks like that? or would keeping the boards separate be better?

A quick answer might be, having separate would be better because you can decide not to play them. True, but we already have a set to do that, and you could always not play it, even tho its part of the board, and besides if they ran with this idea, the board would be smaller. So it wouldn't take as much space.

But I have not convinced myself on this idea, so don't know if others would like it...  :mellow:  :huh:  <_<  :wacko:  :blink:  :ph34r:

Personally I don't mind the size of the board. Though we have given up sitting at the table and tend to all be on out feet when we play. It helps to walk round to the other side of the table to see what I have to do on that square. Plus we keep the beer at the other end of the room, so...

I like the idea of "Epic Talisman" Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but I did wonder if it was worth having an expansion which gives extra strength/craft to all the monsters on the board. It would have to have a very slow accumulating effect, that kicked in late in the game. The reason for this is to combat that time when you hit Strength 20 and don't have to roll to kill anything anymore. Admittedly this is a nice place to reach and double admittedly you have probably been playing for six hours by this point and want the game to end, but... yep, definitely a glutton for punishment. That would be the point of making it epic!

A nice idea, but I am not sure if the majority of players would fork out that much cash for something they already own.  I have bought everything for Talisman, but I would think twice before buying this.  I probably would still buy it though!

Edited by rfisha

Yeah i would pass on a Master Edition having already bought all the other expansions. I like the idea of mini sets to between the corner boards. Or maybe an alternate middle region.

If the board was sold as one scaled down board with an extra board for the dragon's tower/realm obviously I would most definitely buy it.  From FFG's point of view it would probably be cheaper to produce 2 boards in an expansion box than 6 separate boards.  Also, they could use the spaces in-between the corner spaces for heavy cardboard "shoehorns" (similar to the Carcassonne one a lot of people use)to hold the cards with nifty Talisman graphics....

Being able to fit the board on a Standard size table would be awesome because, as someone else mentioned in another thread, our group stands the whole time with a couple barstools for the elderly  to lean on.  The board is so large we approach this game the way we do all of our table-top miniatures game: a table that is above the waist so you can walk around and get to all angles of the table without having to slouch too seriously.

Again, there's always the possibility of alternate corners.  Instead of the City you could play an alternate expansion for that corner such as a ruined city, a corrupt city, A different Dungeon, perhaps something a little darker.  I stated before about making use of the space between the corners for small board expansions.  I would hope to see small character packs however.  They can add depth to the game without heavily modifying game mechanics.  Creature/item/spell packs would be nice as well.  Orc's, goblins, and ogres oh my!!!!!!!!!

I don't think a creature expansion would work well, you have to maintain a % of enemies. But Character expansions would be cool.

I've collected them all for Revised 4th Edition (Just ordered Firelands and Nether Realms).  I can't say I play it all that often, so I'm more of a collector with Talisman.  More of my games tend to be the Steam version.   That being said, I really dig the game and I am hoping the next expansion will indeed be the Forest, standard fare with Forest specific cards - similar to the other 3 corners.  

The gaps in spacing between the Corners appear to be are a deliberate design choice. So I expect an expansion for those 4 areas - likely 1 at a time.  What they could possibly be

I do like the idea of having the middle or inner boards replaced with a single board that has a sea version.

Also a big +1 to a Masters set and Timescape.  

The gaps in spacing between the Corners appear to be are a deliberate design choice. So I expect an expansion for those 4 areas - likely 1 at a time.  What they could possibly be

They did it in 3rd edition too.  They never filled in those gaps:

cornerboards.gif

As I look at the image of the 3rd Edition's main and expansion boards, I realize that of course the 4th edition has more 'flush' corners and so only a space on each side, along the long side of the main board.

Therefore, rather than "boardlets" and idea I've mentioned a couple of times; mini-boards to fill those spaces,

how about a new inlay board or whatever (the Dragon Expansion), that lies perpendicular over the main board and covering those blank areas.

The new board is an ocean, with the new CoC an island at the middle of the board. Since the ocean covers and occludes the normal path of the outer and middle regions, travel between them (say, going from the Village to the City for example) now requires a better boat than a raft. But of course you would need real boats for the ocean adventures.

Some travel through the Rune gate cards that have shown up in most corner expansions will be more valuable, and possibly modified so that they always remain in the game. The outer ends of this ocean, which would cover the blank spaces of the regular layout of boards, would have to be built of slightly, thicker board, than the part that will lay across the main board.

Can you 'see' what I am describing? I'm not sure if I can explain how I see this working.  But at any rate, such a board and concept would be as much of a game-changer as the Dragon expansion and would be mostly incompatible - unless you opt to put the Dragon's Realm or Tower on the side of the main boards. 

Another idea that occurs to me would be that you could have a bridge or two, one on each side of the board, so that travel can happen without needing a boat or rune gates. Maybe the bridge could go to the island/inner region - or maybe not!

Edited by 0beron

A problem with the corner expansions is they take you further away from the center, without changing the requirement to reach the center of the board to win the game. Ultimately, Talisman is always about gaining enough Strength or Craft to (usually) pass the Crypt or Mines and eventually reach the middle. You will unnecessarily lengthen the game by wandering blindly into a corner region unless you can determine that drawing from that deck or encountering those spaces is more efficient than staying in the main board, which includes the time required to explore that region.

The point is that throwing more land mass at the game will make it bigger and longer, but not necessarily better. I think it would be nice to unite the corners towards the center and make one world united in the quest for the crown.

Edited by Artaterxes

Most I think would say bigger is better. Even those who don't play every expansion, because they can choose which one to play.

I like the idea of water inlay board.

If they're going to do any more alternatives to the main board, I much rather see a whole alternative board included than an overlay like the dragon tower. Not only does the dragon tower not fit well on the older 4th edition board, it also feels very forced with all the dragon scales. A replacement board would have a big impact on the game without having to add a lot of new rules, as the rules are on the spaces. They would of course have to keep the Ruins and Crags on the same locations on the board, and the City on one of the two free corners (though they could place it on the opposite corner for fun).

As for the next expansion/final corner expansion, I wouldn't mind seeing a forest board, but it would be nice if it wasn't as linear as the dungeon and the highlands. We already have two of those. Give it a more unique flavor perhaps by letting people move around more freely, or make it a circle like the city. And on that note, the forest wouldn't have to occupy the entire board. It could be interesting to, for example, have 1/3th of the board devoted to expand the village in various ways, and use the remaining 2/3th for the forest. They'd basically be two separate areas, just on the same physical board. Or perhaps there was some route connecting both areas.

0beron and rfisha like this

I think the idea of a non-linear board is good. It contrasts with the 'only can move one direction' of the City and the linear movement of the other two.

I also like the idea of expanding the village; maybe not 1/3, but at least several spaces.

I want a Good Witch's Cottage (or Wise Woman's Hut). I want some sort of beastiary space; a zoo or whatever the medieval equivalent might be. More unusual animals, larger perhaps, not neccesarily 'followers'... perhaps a new type of animal/follower that is different from the Pet shop followers.  Village spaces should be corollary to some City spaces, but with a difference; the economy! Maybe some things can be bought, as in the regular spaces of the Village, but maybe other things must be earned or learned.  So lose a space at the Good Witch's cottage and gain spells or potions? Stuff like that.

I would like a space or a card in the Forest Adventure deck, that 'pulls' all Animals to the space, like some cards pull all spirits or that type of thing. Maybe its an elf or fairy or satyr who  plays pipes or has a way of 'attracting' the animals there.  It is a Forest, after all.

Another Water fall, like the Highlands, or a whirlpool (with teleportative abilities?).

A deserted or haunted Castle? Or a Summer/alternate Castle (with different probabilites).

I would like the Storm river to run through this non-linear board too. Perhaps the river's flow would be the only linear path, and it goes diagonal towards some special space (the whirlpool?)

Quests for something other than Talismans. Perhaps a paladin type quest for good characters to get a sword. And similar type quests for other alignments and character types.

0beron likes this

A variant I was thinking about would be one that would take a while:

You need an item to enter the Dragons Tower and one of these pieces would be at the end of the Dungeon, Highlands and Forest. This would force everyone to hit each region and make a wild game.

Expanding the village is a great idea!

0beron likes this

A variant I was thinking about would be one that would take a while:

You need an item to enter the Dragons Tower and one of these pieces would be at the end of the Dungeon, Highlands and Forest. This would force everyone to hit each region and make a wild game.

Expanding the village is a great idea!

I had an idea like that, sorta. I called it Keys to the Kingdom, and once you found the keys that were placed or hidden or earned in other regions, you could take them to the Temple and unlock a secret passage to the COC. But it was die-roll tempered, so no guarantee of landing there (as I recall you could get toaded, or visited by the Reaper or the Werewolf)

Basically I was going for a master set that combined and used all the expansions.

I was told this was unlikely because FFG wants to make and sell sets that don't require ALL or any other sets to "work".

Since then, I've seen the wisdom or value of that process. But I still hope for final sets that will take our ideas like yours and mine, into account.

JediKnightAmoeba likes this

But if they want to help sell all the sets you could easily throw in an Alternate ending....or make some POD endings and cards.  I know there are those few people out there that like flavor and keeping their sets separate but a lot of us like to throw everything together so linking them up would be awesome!  

I going to print out the best majority of the Corner Regions on sticker paper and affix them to the backs of my current corner boards so I have more choices....I was also thinking of cards that cause the boards to flip effectively causing terrain changes take place. 

That is what is great about this game.  If you don't like it, leave it out.  There is almost no one that follows all the rules to the "T"; most people change the game to their liking.  This is not really a strategic and competitive game, it is about having a ball in a fantasy themed realm.  So throw the oddities at us, we will decide what to keep and what to leave out.  

Here's a bizarre (and almost painful) thought.  They could finish the last corner then release something along the lines of a blasted waste or far outer region that would be basically 1 row of spaces that goes around the entire set  locking it into 1 large rectangular board.  Yes, twisted I know, because who wants this board to get any BIGGER, but it's a thought.

I also thought they might do something like that. Only difference would be that 'outer' row of spaces should or could be an ocean. 

Combine that with the 'boardlets' idea, smaller boards that fill in those spaces between the corners. The boardlets are now a tad longer to go flush up to the outer board of ocean spaces. you can have a port/dock area on these boardlets that are accessed by the fields or whatever spaces on the main board. Rent or serve on a ship. Pirates as a new NPC of some sort (in addition to pirate or ocean based characters to play).

Any way you bring in the ocean concepts you really open up a whole new world or aspect to the world.

I don't see myself getting a bigger and wider table, but I am going to fabricate a board at least 54 inches wide and suitably long enough to cover over my long but not wider than 35 inches dining room and gaming table.

Then *any* 'side' or adjoining boards to the game should be covered.

But if they want to help sell all the sets you could easily throw in an Alternate ending....or make some POD endings and cards.  I know there are those few people out there that like flavor and keeping their sets separate but a lot of us like to throw everything together so linking them up would be awesome!  

I going to print out the best majority of the Corner Regions on sticker paper and affix them to the backs of my current corner boards so I have more choices....I was also thinking of cards that cause the boards to flip effectively causing terrain changes take place. 

That is what is great about this game.  If you don't like it, leave it out.  There is almost no one that follows all the rules to the "T"; most people change the game to their liking.  This is not really a strategic and competitive game, it is about having a ball in a fantasy themed realm.  So throw the oddities at us, we will decide what to keep and what to leave out.  

I like your ideas and agree, but for me it gets too technical to create or alter boards. But for some who can, it sounds great. My wife, my current and only partner doesn't mind using ALL sets, but draws the line at too much home-brewing. She likes some of the tweaks we've created for Dragons, but thats about it.

But the idea that Talisman has really become a game that can be played so many ways, rather enhanced or evolved from its much earlier origins.