Sign in to follow this  
GrandSpleen

What's your favorite card draw?

What is your go-to card for card draw?

For me: King Under the Mountain.  I've been known to break theme and throw a dwarf hero into a deck just so I can include this card (although Balin's ability is so good, I don't have to try very hard to convince myself to do this).  Not only does KUtM let you pick between the top TWO cards every turn, it doesn't use the language "draw" and therefore avoids restrictions on card draw like Enchanted Stream, as well as the nasty effects that trigger off of player draws in the new Fords of the Isen quest.

I also really enjoy Expert Treasure Hunter (the errata hardly weakened this card at all), Bilbo, and special nod to the Palantir for being the card draw I most want to use, but never get to.

Edited by GrandSpleen

If I'm using Aragorn, Celebrian's Stone. Otherwise, it's either Unexpected Courage (hooray for "breaking" the action economy from the very first draw!), or a Song of Lore + Burning Brand. 

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE being able to say, "Nya nya nya nya NYA NYAAAA!!" at shadow cards.  :)

My favorite are Mithrandir's Advice (solo) and Deep Knowledge (multiplayer). Deep Knowledge is probably the best card draw in the game at the moment. It is ridiculously powerful for its cost...

So many good ones. Master of the Forge is amazing because attachments tend to be the most powerful player cards. Daeron's Runes is just ridiculously good because it's 0 cost. I have a fondness for Expert Treasure Hunter as well, but there's so many more I didn't even get a chance to mention...

How does everyone solve the "tactics problem?"  You've got foe-hammer in there, but nothing else.  If you're going to splash for a more efficient deck, do you go lore for sure?  And what card(s) would you put it to speed up draw for a tactics deck?

How does everyone solve the "tactics problem?"  You've got foe-hammer in there, but nothing else.  If you're going to splash for a more efficient deck, do you go lore for sure?  And what card(s) would you put it to speed up draw for a tactics deck?

you don't.

i've never/rarely mixed tactics and lore. i simply build a consistent deck - most cards are 3 copies - and accept my fate.

at least, that's how i play. ;)

Daeron's Runes, A Very Good Tale and Mithrandil's Advice are handy and cheap. Master of the Forge is too expensive. Ancient Mathom takes a turn before you can use it. Westfold Horse-breeder is a card that I am growing fond of, easily one of the best cards in the VoI expansion.

As a side note, I'm currently playing The Ford of Isen and I am surprised how well the game game is flowing with a minimum of cards in my hand. I think the card pool is now filled with excellent cards so that card draw isn't as important as it was during the first two cycles. I rarely take a mulligan anymore, because all cards in my decks are useful (and cheap).

Daeron's Runes, A Very Good Tale and Mithrandil's Advice are handy and cheap. Master of the Forge is too expensive. Ancient Mathom takes a turn before you can use it. Westfold Horse-breeder is a card that I am growing fond of, easily one of the best cards in the VoI expansion.

As a side note, I'm currently playing The Ford of Isen and I am surprised how well the game game is flowing with a minimum of cards in my hand. I think the card pool is now filled with excellent cards so that card draw isn't as important as it was during the first two cycles. I rarely take a mulligan anymore, because all cards in my decks are useful (and cheap).

Well Fords also MAKES you draw cards quite frequently too.

Daeron's Runes is one of my favorite cards for sure, but in my book not a card draw, i see it more like a deck digging/deck accelerator, the reason i say that is because after you use it you don't have more cards in hand, so i agree with GrandSpleen King Under the Mountain for the same reasons + is a good deck digging/deck accelerator too ;) .

Well Gandalf/Sneak Attack would be an obvious choice haha. Other than though on the Lore side I really like Burning Brand's defense against shadow effects. On the Leadership side it is a bit more tough to choose, it depends on the quest but I would have to go with Faramir. If I can get Faramir out with a few grunts my odds of winning sky rocket (except for quests that do not require much willpower such as Conflict at the Carrock).

Well Fords also MAKES you draw cards quite frequently too.

That's true, but these get burned by Éowyn instantly. I guess it's just that if you play with Steed of the Mark and Théoden you really don't need much help to force your way through the encounters. It's one thing I like about the first scenario (haven't played the other two so far) - they set up the encounter deck to punish card drawing decks, but at the same time they give you some opportunities to deal with that problem.

I'd have to say that my 1st choice would be Daeron's runes.

0 cost, draw 2, burn a 2nd unique card stuck in your hand.

All good stuff. Specially in multi-sphere decks.

But Mithrandir's advice is probably better when playing mono-lore.

1 game I drew 2 MA in my opening hand playing mono-lore.

+6 cards in your 1st draw is just magic.

With 2 lore heroes it's still very solid, yet not the magic as it is with 3 anymore.

Gleowine is my 3rd. As his ability can be used on other players.

There are surprisingly few card draw options in lore to help other players draw....

So he gets a spot, as I play lore & multi player.

Lastly, a honorable mention goes to campfire tales.

That card should be lore IMO. Campfire TALES? Lore! Hello?

Anyway, I don't play leadership, my buddy does, and it's a great draw with 3-4 players.

We always make him include it :)

Sure, Campfire Tales is the best draw card i think. But of course, when you are playing in 4 players mode. Then, this is the cheaper draw card in the game. 1 resource for 4 new cards, no more.

Here is my Favorite, card draw combo currently. This is for solo and you'll he needing Aragorn lore in the deck.

Deep knowledge for 2 cards, then Scroll of Isildur for 1 resource to to replay DK to draw 2 more cards, and put DK on the bottom of the deck, then play The Seeing Stone to retrieve DK and draw 2 more cards. 6 cards for 1 resource! With Grima you don't even have to pay for the scroll, but that costs 8 threat. In the right deck it's awesome.