Sign in to follow this  
silentubiquity

Rattataki Rave

The Rattataki race are playable in the old republic MMOPRG.  Is there record of evidence of Rattakaki during Edge of the Empire timeline?

Typo - Subject was supposed to say "Race"

Edited by silentubiquity

The closest you'll probably find to canon references are the few appearances that Rattatak makes during the Clone Wars, which would have been 20-ish years before EotE. This is one of those planets (and species) that's far enough on the fringe of canon, that you could probably take whatever creative liberties you wanted in your campaign. If you want to populate the galaxy with Rattataki, I'd say go for it.

Donovan's suggestion was actually my initial design for a Rattataki pregen character. My 2nd-gen version uses the Twi'leks as a rough model.

Brawn: 2

Agility: 2

Intellect: 2

Cunning: 2

Willpower: 2

Presence: 1

Wound Threshold: 12 + Brawn

Strain Threshold: 10 + Willpower

Starting Experience: 100

Special Abilities: Rattataki begin the game with one free rank in the combat skill of their choice. They still may not train any combat skill beyond Rank 2 during character creation. When making skill checks, they may remove one setback due to hot, arid environments.

Subspecies: The natives of Rattatak are divided between two warring subspecies: the Near-Human Rattaki, and the Vollick. Near-Humans start with Dexterity Rank 3. The Vollick start with Brawn Rank 3.

Is there really anything to justify Rattataki being that much more resilient to damage than Humans?

The primary example we've got of a Rattataki is Asajj Ventress, and there's not much about her to say that she's all that different from a baseline human.

Also, free rank in any combat skill is way too broad and way too good of a benefit.  Frankly, the write-up is way batter than most any other species out there, to the point that either the Special Abilities needs to be cut back, or they need to take a significant hit on their Starting XP value:

I'll admit that this version takes a heavy dose of those creative liberties I mentioned earlier.

It's not so much a design built off of Asajj than it is the impression I got of Rattataki/Vollick in general. We have a world whose population is slowly warring itself to extinction. Reading between the lines, those individuals whose bloodlines have so far managed to survive are likely fittest of the fit (hence, higher than average WT and BR/AG). Again, my own mental image of these people is that they fight until long after an average human would have lost consciousness. Given the culture of tribal warfare, the population is probably fairly desensitized to violence, and this is likely the sort of world where children learn to wield a weapon at a fairly early age (which motivated the generous skill option for a weapon-of-choice).

I did second-guess a few of these decisions as everything did slant heavily toward a combat advantage. But if any world in the galaxy qualified for the title "Planet of the Murder Hobos," I figure Rattatak would probably be it. It seemed to be the kind of place that forged some of the most vicious fighters in the galaxy, which is probably why Dooku went there to shop for a new lackey.

The final experience amount was just an effect of swapping X for Y on the Twi'lek design. As you say, the skill choice is a little more powerful than anything in precedent, so it probably does warrant more weight in the xp department. So far, I haven't had any players with a desire to design a Rattataki, so I haven't had anyone try to min-max off of it. My one pregen is an Outlaw Tech and she hasn't seen a whole lot of screen time.

Donovan's suggestion was actually my initial design for a Rattataki pregen character. My 2nd-gen version uses the Twi'leks as a rough model.

Brawn: 2

Agility: 2

Intellect: 2

Cunning: 2

Willpower: 2

Presence: 1

Wound Threshold: 12 + Brawn

Strain Threshold: 10 + Willpower

Starting Experience: 100

Special Abilities: Rattataki begin the game with one free rank in the combat skill of their choice. They still may not train any combat skill beyond Rank 2 during character creation. When making skill checks, they may remove one setback due to hot, arid environments.

Subspecies: The natives of Rattatak are divided between two warring subspecies: the Near-Human Rattaki, and the Vollick. Near-Humans start with Dexterity Rank 3. The Vollick start with Brawn Rank 3.

Suggested revisions:

Agility: 3

Cunning: 1

Presence: 2 (reason is that making Presence 1 for a warrior race feels like too much of a "dump stat" approach)

Change Wound Threshold to 11 + Brawn

Special Abilities: Rattaki begin the game with one free rank in Brawl or Melee.  They still may not train Brawl or Melee beyond Rank 2 during character creation.  When making skill checks, they may remove one setback die due to hot or arid environments.

I'd still say the better solution would be just use the Human species and put those non-career skill ranks into combat skills should the PC be of a career that doesn't offer some (or many) of them, but I think the changes above would bring them more in line with other EotE species.

Was it ever confirmed that Ventress was a Rattataki? I know she looks like one, but I could never find a confirmation on that.

Initially, prior to The Clone Wars, she was a Rattataki.

However, The Clone Wars decided to scrap that and maker both her and Maul to be Dathomirians instead, which had also previously been established as regular Humans in the EU rather than some kind of Human/Zabrak cross-breed.

Edited by Donovan Morningfire