Sign in to follow this  
That Blasted Samophlange

So... what does it look like?

I consider myself a very visual based person, in terms of deciding what I want for my characters to use and have. I will choose a weapon or vehicle or weapon based on how it looks rather than stats.

This leads me to something that I am finding VERY frustrating about this game line. fantasy flight, to me, has some of the best production values around in terms of art and quality of the product. So, that is why I can't figure out why they don't commission art to represent the vehicles in this game line. Now I know that I can look up on wookiepedia what most ships look like, but some don't have art or are new creations.

Does this bother anyone else? If FFG could just have some pictures that show the vehicles and a text in the stat block saying 'see page 141 for this ship' it would go a lobg way.

I know artists aren't cheap, along with having limited space in a book, but if we can get a picture for every species represented, can we get one for the vehicles.

Heck, if the powers that be want to save the art for a print on demand vehicle card deck, i'd be fine with that. But please show me what the starbolt cruiser looks like, or which of the various freighters and fighters are which.

I am with you. Granted I don't think it bothers me as much as you but I am a visual person myself and would greatly appreciate if there was an item listed officially there would be a sketch/blue print/art of it provided somewhere.

I am with you. Granted I don't think it bothers me as much as you but I am a visual person myself and would greatly appreciate if there was an item listed officially there would be a sketch/blue print/art of it provided somewhere.

Google > Images tab > Name of Item

Agreed. If they aren't going to spend the money to get art assets, the least they can do is not make up their own craft or weapons. That way, we can just look up what the existing vehicle looks like on Wookiepedia.

There's quite a few craft that are completely new, and thus cannot be googled.

Edited by hencook

Yeah, I'm one of those that likes to at least have a rough idea of what something looks like, especially when that something is a new starship.

But at the same time, I get that artwork is expensive, and that ultimately it's going to be the text that sells a book, not the pretty pictures (sorry Zoe).

Visualization is key to being a storyteller, it's just the way we're wired as humans.  Anything that aides us as storytellers is of course a welcome addition, but part of me thinks FFG likes the idea of EotE to be a jumping off point for our own discoveries of lore, which is why the books read more like an ancient text than a quick-reference gaming book.  Teach a man to fish and all....

So, that lofty bit from my ivory tower said, I would like to propose a Grand Army of the Naming of Items in Artwork team where one could look at the document with a page number in hand, then see, "OH, that's a <something!>"  I'll start: on the front page of the core rulebook, that's Han Solo and Chewbacca.

I consider myself a very visual based person, in terms of deciding what I want for my characters to use and have. I will choose a weapon or vehicle or weapon based on how it looks rather than stats.

This leads me to something that I am finding VERY frustrating about this game line. fantasy flight, to me, has some of the best production values around in terms of art and quality of the product. So, that is why I can't figure out why they don't commission art to represent the vehicles in this game line. Now I know that I can look up on wookiepedia what most ships look like, but some don't have art or are new creations.

Does this bother anyone else? If FFG could just have some pictures that show the vehicles and a text in the stat block saying 'see page 141 for this ship' it would go a lobg way.

I know artists aren't cheap, along with having limited space in a book, but if we can get a picture for every species represented, can we get one for the vehicles.

Heck, if the powers that be want to save the art for a print on demand vehicle card deck, i'd be fine with that. But please show me what the starbolt cruiser looks like, or which of the various freighters and fighters are which.

Actually artists are cheap.  Digital media has caused an explosion in the quality, speed, and volume of content artists can crank out.  It's been a stake through the heart of more traditional art forms like oil painting.  The problem isn't the art it's the print industry in general.  It is under enormous pressure and profits are razor thin.  I'm amazed at the quality of product FFG puts out at the price point they do.  Bottom line is though they are pressed for space and there is no room for 'add a page to include some art'.

However, to answer/agree kaosoe, a couple of captions to ID various ships isn't going to impact their bottom line.

OMG Thank you!!!! I don't know what I would have done with out learning about this g o o g l e thing you just told me about?!?!

Blah, anyway. Thats good for stuff that has been around but if they are coming up with something new, I would prefer a more official photo to go off of than someones guess at it. 

Visualization is a skill anyone can learn and hone, I encourage anyone seeking to perfect their craft to seek out storytelling classes or audiobooks (I'm doing the latter and it's great!)  

I like to go look at http://fscape.tumblr.com/ for inspiration, and I wouldn't feel too bad if you like to get your inspiration from pictures too.

I just wish they would put their art resources up on the web, like WotC did with their 3x stuff. Finding fresh SW art for online games is suffering.

Specifically Star Wars, yes, that can be cumbersome.  Great art, not so hard, Deviantart is pretty good, I like CGHub, Turbosquid has good stuff.

One of my fav gun guys on Deviantart.

http://peterku.deviantart.com/gallery/

OMG Thank you!!!! I don't know what I would have done with out learning about this g o o g l e thing you just told me about?!?!

Blah, anyway. Thats good for stuff that has been around but if they are coming up with something new, I would prefer a more official photo to go off of than someones guess at it. 

I was just making a point without having to type more. I was simply stating, simply, that many of the items, vehicles, and starcraft in these books have great artwork readily available so why be frustrated when FFG saves space by leaving them out. I'm sorry if you somehow thought I was saying you did not know Google existed and thus typed a snarky reply.

I agree they should have some artwork for things of their own creation.

Threads like this are interesting to me. How much of your immersion in a story depends on your ability to have your imagination told what to see makes me realize just how handicapped sighted people can be sometimes... ;)

Try playing a board game without any art. When I play EotE, I print lots of visual stuff out. The players already use a lot of their imagination. The visual flavor fluff really helps them out a lot, and makes them think "COOL". It's just that simple. Sure, I don't need visuals, but COOL!

Now note that by asking for more blueprints, we're also asking for a higher book cost and page space. A better EotE book would have had less Full Page flavor art spreads, and more little blueprints of each vehicles, but we're the art that FFG commissioned for SW games in general.

Edited by hencook

Threads like this are interesting to me. How much of your immersion in a story depends on your ability to have your imagination told what to see makes me realize just how handicapped sighted people can be sometimes... ;)

Try playing a board game without any art. When I play EotE, I print lots of visual stuff out. The players already use a lot of their imagination. The visual flavor fluff really helps them out a lot, and makes them think "COOL". It's just that simple. Sure, I don't need visuals, but COOL!

Now note that by asking for more blueprints, we're also asking for a higher book cost and page space. A better EotE book would have had less Full Page flavor art spreads, and more little blueprints of each vehicles, but we're the art that FFG commissioned for SW games in general.

Oh don't get me wrong I am not asking for full fledged blue prints, but just basics, to show size and a general sketch, rather than a full artistic rendering. Its also not something I expect, just a thought.

Edited by FootNote

On the other hand, if I'd never seen the picture of the Ghtroc freighter I'd have sworn my GM was taking the piss.

(A fricken space turtle?  Really?)  :huh:

Edited by Col. Orange

While visual aides are not needed, I love them.  We use them quite a bit in our games and enjoy the work that our GM puts into digging things up.

I would enjoy it quite a bit if FFG put more art into their books, or at least label their pictures.  I am hopeful that with the resurgence of all that is Star Wars, we will see more artistic renditions of vehicles and whatnot.  Time will tell.

I'm mixed. On the one hand I like the pretty pictures, on the other, Star Wars has some really badly/oddly/inconsistently illustrated kit and looking at it hurts my brain.

The E-11s has a fixed AND collapsible stock?

The final official Plex missile launcher... how does that make any sense?

How big is the Intimidator? Pistol? Carbine? Pisbine?

The wings on the Skipray Blastboat and T-16 in the core book...

That is an interesting and fair point. Though judging by some of the replies I don't think people know your situation, or picked up on the subtext. :P

Also many people have also said, just google it. While that is an option, as I and a few others stated somethings don't have a picture, even if you google it. I try to limit laptops and phones around the game table because they are distracting. People nowadays have problems putting their phones down, so I don't want to pull it out to look up what the players see.

Also, if there is a piece of art and I see ship or speeder that I think is cool, I want to know what it is. Ive noticed that much of the art that shows ships and the like is not near the entry, so you might think one ship is another or not know what a ship looks like.

If the art was labeled, we would know what ship is what, etc.

I don't expect ship layouts for every vessel, though I do love deckplans, but an outside visual representstion for us sighted folk, especially for new craft, is helpful.

That is an interesting and fair point. Though judging by some of the replies I don't think people know your situation, or picked up on the subtext. :P

I like to think I'm sneaky like dat! But I use cat logic: if I can't see them, then they can't see me.

I hope you don't also run around the house at 3am like a maniac...