Sign in to follow this  
Desslok

Colonist Book next, please!

Colonist

• Gran
  • Ithorian
  • Arkanian Vratix (Doctor sourcebook without the inventors of Bacta?)

Technician

• Mon Calamari
  • Verpine
  • Squib Sluissi

Smuggler

• Sullustan
  • Devaronian
  • Gotal

Bounty Hunter

• Zabrak
  • Cathar Yuzzem
  • Ubese Quarren

I'd actually like to see these as the new specs in a Colonist book:

Exchequer: covers a wide range of finance related concepts from corporate accountants to underworld bookkeepers to goverment tax agents. 

This is effectively the Rogue Trader game's Seneschal, and I agree it's a role that offers a lot of options. It's a cerebral equivalent to the Hired Gun (Enforcer), although it certainly doesn't have to be criminal-flavored (but with the aim of this game, who are we trying to kid).

Colonist

• Gran
  • Ithorian
  • Arkanian Vratix (Doctor sourcebook without the inventors of Bacta?)

Technician

• Mon Calamari
  • Verpine
  • Squib Sluissi

Smuggler

• Sullustan
  • Devaronian
  • Gotal

Bounty Hunter

• Zabrak
  • Cathar Yuzzem
  • Ubese Quarren

But it wouldn't be a Doctor sourcebook because it would focus on three new specs! :P

So yes, no silly Vratix!

The other changes I can live with...with the exception of Yuzzem replacing Cathar. Take Cathar out and put them in F&D, fine. That means BH could have Zabrak, Quarran, and Ubese. You can't not have Ubese in the BH book--Leia is disguised as an Ubese Bounty Hunter in RotJ! :D

I am expecting to have a reprint of the scientist from age of rebellion for the colonist book.

I was curious about that one. Does Scientist differentiate itself from Scholar? Or would the two share strong similarities, like Big Game Hunter & Survivalist?

Bounty Hunter

• Zabrak
  • Cathar
  • Ubese

Technician

• Mon Calamari
  • Verpine
  • Squib

I like these.

I'd toss Mandalorians in the Bounty Hunter Book, but I'd stat them with something to the effect of using whatever the basic race's stat and xp spread was, then I'd reduce their total starting XP further, and let the player choose one combat skill to treat as a career skill, despite career choice.

Mon Cal are in AoR, so I don't expect them to get a treatment for EoT, instead I'd probably swap the Mon Cal with Jawas.

I think Colonist might be a good place to drop in a new Brawl/Melee spec. Something with a little more finesse than the Marauder's heavy hitter. A Duelist, maybe. Open enough to interpretation to include spoiled, adventure-seeking nobles and wandering martial artists.

As fitting as this would be, I doubt it'd happen. They shouldn't put a Brawl class in such an easy position for a Doctor to take it. At least the other Brawl specs cost an extra 10 xp for the Pressure Point Doctor to take.

Mon Cal are in AoR, so I don't expect them to get a treatment for EoT, instead I'd probably swap the Mon Cal with Jawas.

Actually, that didn't stop FFG including Duros in Enter the Unknown... I have no doubt we'll see Jawas in the Technician source book though.

Edited by DanteRotterdam

I think Colonist might be a good place to drop in a new Brawl/Melee spec. Something with a little more finesse than the Marauder's heavy hitter. A Duelist, maybe. Open enough to interpretation to include spoiled, adventure-seeking nobles and wandering martial artists.

As fitting as this would be, I doubt it'd happen. They shouldn't put a Brawl class in such an easy position for a Doctor to take it. At least the other Brawl specs cost an extra 10 xp for the Pressure Point Doctor to take.

Well, the cost savings for having a Colonist spec with Brawl as a career skill would largely be a moot point, since it'd take at least 20 XP to get the spec, changing the cost of 5 ranks of Brawl (presuming the PC doesn't have a means to get a free rank, such as Wookiees, Klaatoonians, or Humans) from being 100 XP (including the extra 5 XP for being non-career) to 95 XP (career cost as well as cost for second specialization).  So in the long run, really not much of a difference.

While I am in favor of a Duelist type PC (primarily as an "educated" fighter that uses precision attacks with lighter/one-handed weapons instead of just going for sheer damage output), I do agree that a straight-up brawler is a poor fight for the Colonist, as the Marauder covers the "smash the other guy in da face!" character angle.

Actually, that didn't stop FFG including Duros in Enter the Unknown... I have no doubt we'll see Jawas in the Technician source book though.

Yeah, I suspect we'll see a number of the AoR races in EotE (and maybe even F&D) splats and vice versa down the line.  While FFG would be overjoyed if everyone playing (or just following) the system were to buy every book they produce, the reality is that there's gonna be folks that only follow one product line for whatever reason.  And FFG may want to try and cut back on the negative outlook that such customers feel they're being forced to buy supplements for a product line they're simply not interested in.

I have long been a supporter of the Entertainer Spec.

I think a Nobel with Duelist Talents would be good.

And possibly a Rustic spec to cover moisture farmers, nerf herders, etc.

Species: Bith, Gran, Arkanian

Ships: Yachts, transports and other non-freighter civilian vessels.

Verpine, Ugnaughts, and maybe Jawas for the a Tech book. Although I think Genosians would be better than Jawas.

Ubese for the Bounty Hunter book.

I expect we will see a pattern of Noncombat-Combat-Noncombat. So Colonist is a good guess for next up. Followed I would guess by Smuggler.

I don't have a real dog in the fight for the splat books specifically and I think whatever is next will be cool for different reasons for each.

I think Colonist or Technician would maybe have the most creativity or surprises in it.

I think Smuggler could just be taken into so many groovy directions it will be great.

Bounty Hunter...."we need guns, lots of guns"....

I'm down to two sessions left of my Edge of the Empire campaign. After the summer we are diving headlong into Age of Rebellion. While I would have loved to have gotten a Colonist book, say instead of the Explorer book (although it was excellent), it won't do me much good anymore. So I think I have to lean towards the Smuggler book. I can see more desire for a Smuggler character in a Rebel campaign than I can for any of the others (besides Hired Gun which we already have).

So I did a quick look at something I think we are going to have to accept that we will get possibly two books a month but not necessarily in the order or way that you want.  I expect that with the big AoR push the next logical step is an adventure book.  Sorry but if they keep to pattern that will be the AoR book after the Main Rules, GM Screen, and Beginner Box.  To be honest because they haven't filled the May slot there may not be anything for it.  It is not unheard of for companies to not release a book every month especially if there were delays.  This is my belief for option one that in July we will get an EotE expansion book (might be an Outer Rim system like Suns or Class Expansion) and the first adventure book for AoR.  

Option 2) This option is actually the more likely and it may anger a lot of you but you have to look at the facts.  I did a quick comparison of the AoR Beta and that of the Explorer book and found a remarkable number of people (all in fact) in charge of the same things in the same books.  This leads me to believe that the same developers are all working on the same series at the same time.  Which may mean that we still get a book a month but it will be an on/off setting until we get FaD then it will be an on/off/off setting.  Meaning that next book in May will be an EotE and the book after that will be AoR and back and forth until FaD comes out then you just slap that on.  This may also be what they intended as by then they will have completely exhausted expansion books for all the classes in EotE, they will have addressed specific events from the OT with AoR, and with FaD they will be able to limit the run to things they find need the most addressing at the advice of playtesters and can hopefully wrap up the line before their contract comes up for Disney to ****** away.  

While I hope we get Option 1) with 2 books a month then 3 with FaD I expect it will be more Option 2) as there is a finite number of people at FFG that are working on this.

Just my two creds that may not be worth even 2 decicreds.

I would like to see the Technician book personally and perhaps  instead of spreading the races out through the expansions just an Alien Race book that way I don't have to choose.

Edited by bull30548

It's entirely possible that Disney will renew the contract with Fantasy Flight just like Lucasfilm did with Wizards of the Coast. Keep in kind that Lucasfilm is shrill Lucasfilm; Disney purchased Star Wars because, like Marvel, it's value actually went up during the recession of the 2008. They won't mess with the tabletop RPG market so long as Lucasfilm is happy with the results.

It's entirely possible that Disney will renew the contract with Fantasy Flight just like Lucasfilm did with Wizards of the Coast. Keep in kind that Lucasfilm is shrill Lucasfilm; Disney purchased Star Wars because, like Marvel, it's value actually went up during the recession of the 2008. They won't mess with the tabletop RPG market so long as Lucasfilm is happy with the results.

I agree. Disney doesn't have an RPG department.

Shhhhh... They might buy Fantasy Flight next.

At the very least, FFG would have been smart enough to get their contract worded so that it lasts through 2015 and the release of F&D - and probably at LEAST a year past that, so there's some support material. It would make no sense for them to release F&D on July 5th and go "Here's your book! We're killing the line on July 30th!"

TL;DNR - dont worry about it. The game will be here at least 2 years.

I wouldn't mind if they took turns on alternating months. EotE one month, followed by AoR, then EotE again, then AOR, etc. 

I probably wouldn't even mind alternating every third month after the release of F&D.