Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Desslok

Colonist Book next, please!

105 posts in this topic

Entertainer has to be a given, surely.

Music is so fundamental to Star Wars, from the subtle character motifs to the big song and dance numbers.  Between ortolan snare drums, kloo horns and dancing twi'leks, there's something for all tastes.

The soundtracks themselves are so iconic, I couldn't imagine the movies without them.

Joker Two likes this

What else for colonist?

I wouldn't mind seeing a 'pet class', but it feels like it would have been better in Explorer; feels mor elike a fringe thing than a Core world thing.

Maybe some kind of civilian policeman, as some have suggested, more inclined to keep the peace than go in all guns blazing?

I felt sure we were going to see more AoR classes (Ambassador and Scientist maybe) but thankfully Dangerous Covenants didn't go that route, and it seems like FFG are trying to keep reprints to a minimum.  

Music is so fundamental to Star Wars, from the subtle character motifs to the big song and dance numbers.  Between ortolan snare drums, kloo horns and dancing twi'leks, there's something for all tastes.

The soundtracks themselves are so iconic, I couldn't imagine the movies without them.

And all that jizz too!

I see your point, but honestly, I dont see how that would be benifical to the group. As Seiito said, the scounderal is basicly your conman so if you need someone to go undercover, he/she is your guy/gal. 

I see your point, but honestly, I dont see how that would be benifical to the group. As Seiito said, the scounderal is basicly your conman so if you need someone to go undercover, he/she is your guy/gal. 

It depends on what kind of group you're talking about. To a group based around the Hired Gun or a band of Mercenaries or Bounty Hunters, an Archaeologist or a Politico might not be that beneficial. But to a group of explorers, an Archaeologist is just the thing.

Likewise you could have a group who might actually be one or more musicians who travel around and get into adventures.

Or a group on the run could use a successful or influential musician as a way in to various places they couldn't get into otherwise. Similar to how Inara's influence helps the crew of Serenity because she's got social influence they don't have.

Those are just a couple of ideas off the top of my head.

It depends on what kind of group you're talking about. To a group based around the Hired Gun or a band of Mercenaries or Bounty Hunters, an Archaeologist or a Politico might not be that beneficial. But to a group of explorers, an Archaeologist is just the thing.

Likewise you could have a group who might actually be one or more musicians who travel around and get into adventures.

Or a group on the run could use a successful or influential musician as a way in to various places they couldn't get into otherwise. Similar to how Inara's influence helps the crew of Serenity because she's got social influence they don't have.

Those are just a couple of ideas off the top of my head.

Very true. For a non-combat group there are deffently some ways to make it work.

This is why i suggested the three I did.

Entertainer is a logical spec. because of what we see in the films.

The herder I suggested as a spec that focuses on dealing with animals, whether nerf or nexu, they have a way with them -able to tame and ride most creatures. Also a pet class of sorts, with talents for dealing with a companion creature.

The ranger (named for antarian rangers in eu) are colonists that defend and protect a colony from any threats. Equal parts lawman , hunter and mediator.

I'd be happy with those three, TBS.

But I'm kinda doubting we'd see the other two; mainly because of FFG's misleading career title of 'Colonist'.

Here it means 'educated Core Worlder'.  Not a coloniser in the traditional sense, a tough and hardy settler taming the wild frontier.  

Edited by Maelora

I'd be happy with those three, TBS.

But I'm kinda doubting we'd see the other two; mainly because of FFG's misleading career title of 'Colonist'.

Here it means 'educated Core Worlder'.  Not a coloniser in the traditional sense, a tough and hardy settler taming the wild frontier.  

I wont lie, I like the ranger. I could see that in bounty hunter or colonist though.

I think Colonist might be a good place to drop in a new Brawl/Melee spec. Something with a little more finesse than the Marauder's heavy hitter. A Duelist, maybe. Open enough to interpretation to include spoiled, adventure-seeking nobles and wandering martial artists.

And for my own wishes, I'd love to see an Infiltrator spec or something along those lines. A sneak who's a little more white collar than the Assassins and Thieves already populating the galaxy. Think royal agents, corporate fixers, etc.

I think Colonist might be a good place to drop in a new Brawl/Melee spec. Something with a little more finesse than the Marauder's heavy hitter. A Duelist, maybe. Open enough to interpretation to include spoiled, adventure-seeking nobles and wandering martial artists.

And for my own wishes, I'd love to see an Infiltrator spec or something along those lines. A sneak who's a little more white collar than the Assassins and Thieves already populating the galaxy. Think royal agents, corporate fixers, etc.

If you look at the career description in the CRB though without saying it in as many words, it basically lays it out that colonists are not fighters.  They're supposedly bringing their better education and smarts to bear in order to accomplish things in their new world.  I think colonist needs the most help but with the description in the CRB it just seems tough to me for expansion to be meaningful.

Some mentioned specs like miner which isn't a bad idea, but it gets hard if you just think in terms of professionals moving to the Rim.  You already have a tech career so it seems like that rules out a great deal for colonist. There's entertainer, which is probably a good idea, maybe a blend of social skills with some sleight of hand deception stuff, the singer, the magician, the comedian, etc.  What kind of core worlder heads out to the Rim that you can point to as a career?  I thought maybe a Missionary as well, but really that's all a Politico is.  There are a ton of jobs that might go for colonies, I just don't think many people want to play moisture farmer as an adventurer....

DavenQuint likes this

I don't think the Entertainer concept is bad, I just don't think it necessarily comports itself to an entirely new career specialization. Music and dance is certainly a part of Star Wars, but for purposes of the game and life on the Edge of the Empire, I don't think it makes for the most compelling addition. I wouldn't be upset if it was included--I would just find it odd.

The Adventure-seeking Noble (or Baron) that Spjork mentioned should definitely be one of the new options. Thus far the Colonist doesn't have a "wealthy patron" concept--someone who keeps the PCs operations going through his deep pockets and affluence. Trader comes the closest, but the Trader is more about wheeling and dealing, exploring new markets, and negotiating skills. A Noble/Baron would be about already having access to wealth and using that wealth/prestige to make his way out on the Rim and push his agenda.

As described in the Core Rulebook, the three specializations now are the Doctor (Gift of Healing), Politico (Gift of Leadership), and Scholar (Gift of Knowledge). The Noble/Baron would have the Gift of Affluence or Gift of Wealth.

Another nice addition that would fit in nicely with the Colonist include an officer or Intellect-based tactician--maybe call the specialization the Strategist. This specialization could focus on those who have learned or graduated from the myriad martial academies in the Core who are often times needed for their insights into how to end insurrections (or incite them) or how to defeat/subjugate indigenous forces on a newly discovered world rich with resources. Maybe these individuals are Imperial-trained, former Imperials, or part of planetary-based academies serving their world or system's defense forces (i.e. CorSec or the Anaxes War College). Regardless of their background, they are trained in tactics and strategy and have been pacifying unruly worlds and fending off threats out on the Rim and frontier for millennia. The Strategist would have the Gift of Analysis.

You could even add a new skill to the game with Knowledge (Warfare).

Another specialization that I'd include would be a little grittier. Conceptually, I'd go for someone who has been exiled, who was once on top of the galaxy, but has since fallen so far. Possibly call this specialization the Outcast. He or she would have some of the leadership qualities of other Colonist specializations, but also some of the practical skills that come from having been forced to leave behind everything you once knew. The Outcast would have the Gift of Understanding.

So in the end you'd have a Colonist profession that was pretty complete.

Colonist

• Baron-relies on his wealth/prestige to make his way. Gift of Affluence. 
  • Doctor-uses his medical skills and capabilities. Gift of Healing. 
  • Outcast-uses his past experiences to forge his way forward. Gift of Understanding.
  • Politico-relies on his leadership skills and political instincts. Gift of Leadership.
  • Scholar-utilizes his vast knowledge and educational background to get ahead. Gift of Knowledge.
  • Strategist-uses his martial training and military mind to achieve his goals. Gift of Analysis.

There! Not hard at all to develop a Colonist Sourcebook expansion. ;)

Edited by DavenQuint
Desslok likes this

But you're missing the point of the Colonist. The colonist is about someone being out of place on the fringes--hence the Scholar, Politico, and Doctor classes. They come form the Core (for the most part) and thus bring with them the things that are prevalent in the more...civilized...parts of the galaxy.

It's right in the text of the Colonist in the Core Rulebook. 

Obviously the Baron would not solely be based on wealth. It would be wealth and prestige--someone of royalty or pseudo-royalty who has the means to move his agenda in parts of the galaxy unused to such power and resourcefulness. 

The Trader is not wealth-based. The Trader is discovery-based and about bartering/negotiating/finding new markets out on the fringes. The Baron would be about using resources and existing prestige to accomplish his goals.

Scholar in no way fills the role of the Strategist. The Scholar's role right now is purely about Intellect and education-orientation and doesn't cross into the realm of warfare. The Strategist would actually have some martial training in addition to his Intellect-based abilities.

Edited by DavenQuint

Distinctions should be made to emphasize an actual role rather than a background. A role is what a character does, how he fits into the world. Baron and the like are titles, backgrounds. There's already a place for being rich, the High and Mighty origin, so having a "baron" role would be absolutely redundant. What you do makes you a politico, big game hunter, merchant, etc. and if a Baron wants to wield wealth, make him a Merchant, if he wants to wield influence, make him a Politico.

I'm fully aware of such distinctions, but FFG doesn't make them. The Archaeologist is no more a role than it is a background. It's both. Just like Politico. Just like Scholar. Just like Doctor. The same as a Strategist would be both a role and a background. It all weaves together.

The roles that a Baron, Strategist, and Outcast would serve are already there, but I'll flesh them out for you.

Baron: What he/she does is use money and resources that come from his/her background as an affluent Core Worlder to advance his/her agenda. This specialization would be heavy on tapping resources, credit lines, contacts, and using social-based skills to inspire and assist other PCs.

Outcast: What he/she does is use his experience as a former member of high society in conjunction with his newfound practical skills (maybe he's a miner/laborer now?) to fuel his new life. This specialization would be a hybrid that combined social-based talents with grittier manual skills and mental fortitude to have a well-rounded alternative.

Strategist: What he/she does is use his martial training and tactical mind to accomplish his mission out on the Rim (or elsewhere). This specialization would be heavy on tactical abilities, Intellect-based combat, buffing PC's in combat encounters, and unorthodox approaches to life on the Rim.

Edited by DavenQuint

I think if you fuse Baron and Outcast and import Trader in some fashion with a couple new spec specific talents, that makes a decent option.  Problem with saying social skills is the devs threw the net pretty wide with Politico and that just covers a lot of ground.

Strategist sounds decent.  Side step combat skills and incorporate talents like Field Commander, Heightened Awareness, Fire Control and Command and that's a pretty good idea.

The whole Sheriff or Ranger idea is great but I just think that's more suited to BH imo.

DavenQuint likes this

Well-Rounded gives the scholar the flexibility to have martial training. Trying to shove warfare in with strategist would overlap the strategist role already being introduced in Age of Rebellion.

The Baron as described still sounds like more of a background than a job, your GM could throw a lot of money at the Politico or Merchant and he could do the same things, especially if he buys both specializations. The point of new careers thus far from EtU and DC has been to fill niches - hunting animals, ancient civilizations, planetary vehicles, etc - and for the colonist expansion one should look for niches. Most people here seem to agree on entertainment and agrarian skills. These are emphasized as jobs.

Fair enough. I don't agree. That said, I'll quote 2P51.

"There are a ton of jobs that might go for Colonists, I just don't think many people want to play moisture farmers as an adventurer..."

I don't think most people agree that entertainment and agrarian skills are the bright shining ideas for the Colonist. :P

Edited by DavenQuint

I'm OK with entertainer, there are ways to backdoor in skulduggery and deception and such.  Agrarian, though, I'm not feeling that.    It might be easier to rule out what either fits better in other careers and or would just not give much potential for being terribly heroic, in addition what is really already covered.

My idea of Missionary I shot down myself because it was really a Politic with another name.

Any sort of law enforcement option, the notion of dealing with criminals at all, albeit in a non lethal or negotiated way, is something that would just fit better into BH.  Remember there will be a need for BHs too and it just fits perfectly there.

You can't get real tech oriented because you've already got a tech career.

Colonies need professions.  The need leaders.  They need skills.  They need commerce.  They need recreation.

Strategist = Leader.  Pretty easy to incorporate and fits into the career.

Merchant = Commerce.  People sometimes (myself included) forget Trader is in Explorer, not Colonist.  So an easy one imo, it doesn't need to be a renaming of Trader could be a fusion of Trader and Quarter Master with some new spec Talent and maybe a dash of Computers.

Entertainer = Recreation.  I think someone to Charm, baffle with Sleight of Hand, Deception type talents.  Someone who can heal and buff strain.

I wrote agrarian, what I meant was combat.

Combat is completely contradictory to the Career write up though.  I could see buffing others through things like Field Commander and Fire Control.

I wrote agrarian, what I meant was combat.

Watch out for those Farmers who specialize into Marauder.  They tend to have vibro-pitchforks.   :D

If you look at the career description in the CRB though without saying it in as many words, it basically lays it out that colonists are not fighters.  They're supposedly bringing their better education and smarts to bear in order to accomplish things in their new world.  I think colonist needs the most help but with the description in the CRB it just seems tough to me for expansion to be meaningful.

My reasoning behind the Duelist, or some similarly named spec, is that this is someone who does bring their education and smarts to bear. It just so happens that that education and those smarts are more focused in the realm of classical fighting styles. To use a Wild West analogy, this would be someone who draws an epee or a katana in the midst of a saloon brawl.

I'm thinking it would do for the Colonist what Big Game Hunter did for the Explorer, add a combat-saavy spec without stepping outside the bounds of the Career's archetype.

"A colonist doesn't tend to have the training to survive in areas of high conflict and he isn't particularly adept at physical exploits".  CRB p. 62

My reasoning behind why colonists are not fighters in combat or focused on physical exploits.  To me a duelist is a background description for a Marauder.

My reasoning behind the Duelist, or some similarly named spec, is that this is someone who does bring their education and smarts to bear. It just so happens that that education and those smarts are more focused in the realm of classical fighting styles. To use a Wild West analogy, this would be someone who draws an epee or a katana in the midst of a saloon brawl.

I'm thinking it would do for the Colonist what Big Game Hunter did for the Explorer, add a combat-saavy spec without stepping outside the bounds of the Career's archetype.

That second paragraph is precisely what my thought was behind the Strategist: add a combat-saavy (albeit Intellect/Cunning based) specialization without stepping on the toes of others. 

The Duelist is an interesting idea though. I wonder if you could incorporate those kind of classical dueling/fencing skills into a couple of talents for the Noble/Baron concept. That would fit as well and broaden that out a little more...

I don't think a Duelist type of spec, one that focuses more on precision attacks than raw damage in melee, would be out of place for the Colonist.  I've seen remarks by professional fencers that while they'd fare well in the one-on-one type of fights they are trained to compete in, they're not going to do quite so well in the more chaotic mess that is a general combat.

After all, classical European fencing was more a domain of the affluent and educated elite, and the Colonist certainly counts towards being amongst the affluent and elite (even if that was more in their past).  The Tapani Saber Rakes (the vast bulk of whom are nobles) would certainly be an example of a Colonist/Duelist.  Instead of the raw damage that the Marauder gets by way of Feral Strength, the Duelist would instead feature talents such as Lethal Blows (making this precision attacks hurt), either Anatomy Lessons (using their superior intellect to up the damage) or Targeted Blow (using quick reflexes to do the same), Deadly Accuracy, maybe even Precise Aim and a Quick Strike or two to round out theoffensive talents.  Dodge would be the foremost defensive talent, maybe with a rank or two of Grit to help keep the Duelist's Strain total from exceeding their Threshold too quickly, with perhaps one rank each of Defensive Stance and Toughened.  Then perhaps a talent that allows the Duelist to use their Agility instead of Brawn when making Brawl/Melee attacks, and top it off with Dedication.

While an Entertainer spec might not be the most exciting of specs to play for most folks, I'd personally like to see it.  It could take a few notes (heh) from the D&D Bard, being a combination of party buff/support in combat while really playing up the social prowess and celebrity status (however minor).  Perhaps even including talents that leave adversaries disoriented at first but improves up to staggered.  Probably could user the existing Leadership talents to reflect how the Entertainer is able to "inspire the troops", though Inspiring Rhetoric (already a big part of the Politico) does that to an extent by restoring lost Strain; perhaps something that provides a boost die to checks of a certain number of allies (Presence?), but ranked so that each additional increases the size of the affected audience, in effect making it Ranks x Presence(?) = audience size.

I also like the idea of a "sheriff" spec, reflecting an educated law dog as opposed to the more rough'n'tumble type you'd get if using a Hired Gun or Bounty Hunter as the base career.

Kirdan Kenobi and Crimson_red like this

I feel like colonist is pretty solid. I mean Scholor needs love but Politico and Doctor are powerful and in some cases indispensable parts of a crew. With the Hired Gun book we got specifics on what kinds of jobs Hired Guns get offered and sample scenarios along with basic pay scales which is I'm super hopeful that Bounty Hunter would come soon. That said my order for classes in the needs love/needs more info order.

1. Smuggler: Thief is incredibly weak as a spec. Smuggling runs and prompts would be stellar for proper pricing of goods. Considering they didn't put much of galactic travel information/rules/encounters into the Explorer book that makes sense Smugglers would be the place for it. I need rules for my asteroid pirate ambush encounters!
  2. Technician: Slicer is weaksauce and as much as Outlaw Tech wishes it was it's a poor combat choice. Salvage rules are non existant as are Computer/Astrogation times for checks. What's the point of having reduced calculation/salvage time if you don't have rules for how long the checks take?
  3. Colonist: OK I kind of want Bounty Hunter first but Colonist needs some combat love so they get the nod first.
  4. Bounty Hunter: New classes aren't needed for this class so it goes last. What I want from this book is more high tech gadgets for catching Aquisitions and pricing/modular encounters for bounties.
MKX likes this

I don't think a Duelist type of spec, one that focuses more on precision attacks than raw damage in melee, would be out of place for the Colonist.  I've seen remarks by professional fencers that while they'd fare well in the one-on-one type of fights they are trained to compete in, they're not going to do quite so well in the more chaotic mess that is a general combat.

After all, classical European fencing was more a domain of the affluent and educated elite, and the Colonist certainly counts towards being amongst the affluent and elite (even if that was more in their past).  The Tapani Saber Rakes (the vast bulk of whom are nobles) would certainly be an example of a Colonist/Duelist.  Instead of the raw damage that the Marauder gets by way of Feral Strength, the Duelist would instead feature talents such as Lethal Blows (making this precision attacks hurt), either Anatomy Lessons (using their superior intellect to up the damage) or Targeted Blow (using quick reflexes to do the same), Deadly Accuracy, maybe even Precise Aim and a Quick Strike or two to round out theoffensive talents.  Dodge would be the foremost defensive talent, maybe with a rank or two of Grit to help keep the Duelist's Strain total from exceeding their Threshold too quickly, with perhaps one rank each of Defensive Stance and Toughened.  Then perhaps a talent that allows the Duelist to use their Agility instead of Brawn when making Brawl/Melee attacks, and top it off with Dedication.

While an Entertainer spec might not be the most exciting of specs to play for most folks, I'd personally like to see it.  It could take a few notes (heh) from the D&D Bard, being a combination of party buff/support in combat while really playing up the social prowess and celebrity status (however minor).  Perhaps even including talents that leave adversaries disoriented at first but improves up to staggered.  Probably could user the existing Leadership talents to reflect how the Entertainer is able to "inspire the troops", though Inspiring Rhetoric (already a big part of the Politico) does that to an extent by restoring lost Strain; perhaps something that provides a boost die to checks of a certain number of allies (Presence?), but ranked so that each additional increases the size of the affected audience, in effect making it Ranks x Presence(?) = audience size.

I also like the idea of a "sheriff" spec, reflecting an educated law dog as opposed to the more rough'n'tumble type you'd get if using a Hired Gun or Bounty Hunter as the base career.

Duelist is still just describing a background for a Marauder that comes from wealth and the Core.  The Colonist career description doesn't just say no combat, it says the Colonist is not adept at physical exploits.  Not a terribly good basis for any sort of combatant really, particularly a physically based one.

DavenQuint likes this