Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HappyDaze

Dangerous Covenants gives us the secret of sucky stormtroopers.

30 posts in this topic

The blaster rifle used by stormtroopers has a pistol grip attachment allowing it to be wielded with one hand (as shown in Episode IV). In the game this changes the weapon over to using Ranged (Light). Stormtroopers do not have Ranged (Light) as a skill. Perhaps this is why they couldn't hit anybody...

So I am to assume then that there are more attachments available in Dangerous Covenants?

It appears so. Along with some additional starship add ons as well. There's a list on the last page or so of the other Dangerous Covenants release thread.

Yep. Not with book at the moment, but there are a good number of them. The pistol grip on a carbine is going to be really popular for Ranged (Light) guys wanting rifle firepower (but not range).

There are a few starship attachments too, including a way to put an oversized weapon on a smaller hull and some kind of special missiles.

There is also a heavy repeating blaster that can be used Rambo-style with the right Talents.

From the other thread so people won't have to go between them as often :P : 

Gene-lock - weapon only fires for specific individual - mod option for self destruct
Laser sight - auto advantage on successful combat check
Pistol grip - weapon skill changes to ranged light but add a black die if wielded one handed. Also shortens too medium range
Missile system - enables weapon to fire rockets or missiles
Wrist mount - weapon worn on wrist

Armor attachments:
Med systems - once per session incidental use of self stim pack and adds blue die to all medicine checks on wearer
Hands free weapon system - mounted weapon
Internal long range com link
Integrated scanner - functions like general purpose scanner and adds blue die to perception to detect movement
Range finder - adds talent sniper shot
Targeting computer - add blue die to all long and medium ranged attacks.

Edited by jerrypocalypse

I recently looked up the armor stats for laminate armor, which explains the second part of why Storm Troopers are garbage. Not only can they not hit anything more than a foot away, but their armor provides almost no protection.

Storm Troopers are the butt of the Galaxy's jokes once again. Huzzah.

Well, there's this. :ph34r:

Heh, Jeg, my long-time friend Josh Mueller (CO of the Georgia 501st Garrison) actually created that. It's everywhere now. Cool to see it in the wild.

That's interesting. I used to be in the 501st Garrison in Georgia. Small world.

KRKappel likes this

Looking at props, don't almost all Star Wars blaster rifles/carbines have pistol grips? Are we going to have to ignore that the pistol grip on an E-11 looks just like the pistol grips on the A295, A280, DLT-19, DLT-20,  etc or is it now going to be near impossible to find a blaster rifle in-universe example that actually uses Ranged (heavy)?

Edited by Sturn

Think of weapons like blaster rifles as having traditional rifle grips, rather than the modernized grip that many assault weapons possess. The modification of a pistol grip would then radically alter the weapon's profile. The difference would be something like this: http://m1family.com/uploads/forums.m1/m1fa/m1family/images/1297817677.jpg Props and artwork aren't necessarily properly representing a "stock" item as presented in EoE.

Edited by Brother Orpheo

rather than the modernized grip that many assault weapons possess.

Just a minor point: You're thinking of the term "assault rifle," which is a rifle that fires an intermediate cartridge, contains as detachable magazine, and is capable of select fire. There's essentially no widely accepted definition of "assault weapon." Presumably any and every weapon could be defined as an "assault weapon," so as a term it is largely useless.

Without having seen the book yet, I can't really comment on how I think the pistol grip was intended to work. It's interesting to note, however, that a pistol grip on a rifle really only aids the shooter ergonomically if firing a rifle in the shouldered position. The ergonomic advantage of a pistol grip is immediately lost when you fire from the hip or some other wildly inaccurate position.

Agree position of your rear hand on a grip really has nothing to do with making a weapon a "lighter" one. The T-21, a light repeating blaster, and even the E-Web heavy repeater both have pistol grips. It's really a misnomer when they are called "pistol" grips that perhaps the author(s) of Dangerous Covenants didn't realize and thought it makes any weapon shoot like a pistol. They don't. It just tilts your trigger finger hand a very slight bit. Perhaps they should have not bothered with a "Pistol Grip" attachment since almost every blaster in Star Wars already has such and instead went with a Smooth Grip (the oddity) as an attachment or even a Forearm Grip.

Yes I know it's a game and I hate to be negative when the system is my favorite, ever. But, it should at least have a little connection with reality. I also don't want them to add a Butterfly Trigger attachment which causes pretty winged insects to fly about mesmorizing your opponents instead of reducing Cumbersome for mounted repeaters.

Edited by Sturn

The Pistol Grip attachment mentions that many rifles have a pistol-like grip by default, but that isn't the same as the Pistol Grip attachment, which also mentions that it lightens the weapon for one-handed use. The attachment is also not compatible with weapons with the Cumbersome quality.

Think of weapons like blaster rifles as having traditional rifle grips, rather than the modernized grip that many assault weapons possess. The modification of a pistol grip would then radically alter the weapon's profile. The difference would be something like this: http://m1family.com/uploads/forums.m1/m1fa/m1family/images/1297817677.jpg Props and artwork aren't necessarily properly representing a "stock" item as presented in EoE.

But they don't. I can't think of a single blaster from pistol to carbine to rifle to repeater in the Star Wars movies that doesn't have the pistol grip (the bottom picture in your link) as opposed to the top pic. The weapons in core actually give examples of the weapons they represent. Examples given for Blaster Carbines, Blaster Rifles, and Heavy Blaster Rifles in the core book are the E-11, A280, DLT-19, and RT-97C. They ALL have pistol grips. I seriously can't think of a single blaster that doesn't have a pistol grip. Only the slugthrowers didn't have such.

The Pistol Grip attachment mentions that many rifles have a pistol-like grip by default, but that isn't the same as the Pistol Grip attachment, which also mentions that it lightens the weapon for one-handed use. The attachment is also not compatible with weapons with the Cumbersome quality.

So it says many rifles already have a pistol-like grip.......but those aren't like THIS pistol-like grip??

Again I think the designers got enamored with the name of the grip (pistol). They should have went with a "Forearm Grip" attachment giving the same bonus and penalties instead.

Edited by Sturn

So it says many rifles already have a pistol-like grip.......but those aren't like THIS pistol-like grip??

Again I think the designers got enamored with the name of the grip (pistol). They should have went with a "Forearm Grip" attachment giving the same bonus and penalties instead.

How would a Forearm Grip - which pretty much requires using the weapon two-handed to benefit from - do the same thing as a Pistol Grip (namely making the weapon usable one-handed)?

How would a Forearm Grip - which pretty much requires using the weapon two-handed to benefit from - do the same thing as a Pistol Grip (namely making the weapon usable one-handed)?

Good point. I was trying to come up with something new that was not "Pistol Grip", which all of the blasters already have.

I was imagining a larger blaster rifle being used like a "lighter" weapon fired from the hip instead of from the usual shoulder for larger weapons. Thus, Ranged (Light). Yes Light are one-handed and Heavy are two-handed but the description given above for Pistol Grip was:

"weapon skill changes to ranged light but add a black die if wielded one handed". Also shortens to medium range".

It said IF wielded one handed as if it were a choice. If "Forearm Grip" was used instead it could have read something like: "Weapon hold is reconfigured to fire from the hip with addition of the forearm grip, allowing it to be shot with Ranged (light) but also shortening range to Medium". That was more of what I was thinking of while I admit ignoring the 1-handed vs. 2-handed of Ranged skills which apparently the designers ignored also since the Pistol Grip made one-handed just an option when using Ranged (light), not a requirement.

Edited by Sturn