Sign in to follow this  
herozeromes

Anyone else not excited by next wave?

Expansion is always good!

Or we'll get bored of the game!

I never understood this mentality.  Chess hasn't changed in hundreds of years and no one is board of it yet...

*Edit*

A good game should have deep enough strategy it doesn't need constant expansion to remain interesting. FFG is really close to that with X-Wing.  They could release 10 or 12 more ships, 20 or 30 more upgrades, and then come back and do a 2nd edition with  some tweaks for balance, and I think the game would be great for years and years with no other releases.  Just keep the competitive circuit going and have fun!

Edited by Endgame124

If I may add in, I'm thrilled of the EU push with this coming wave. While the original ships are good as well, if we don't push into the EU all we're looking at then is repaints and some new pilots. Which, while I am thrilled about the Imp Aces, just a bunch of repaints and some new cards and pilots for old ships will eventually grow quite old. I'd rather keep up the excitement with the EU ships and I am sure they'll do the repaints and new boxes like Imp Aces as well at this point.

So, no I don't feel that way, I feel all additions, depending on balance and playability are good steps forward.

Edit: As for why expansion is good. While some people I am sure don't need expansions. As a company, they want to make money, and in todays now now now world, many people will get bored with a game that grows stagnant. So expansions keep people excited, keeps the scene vibrant, and stirs up sales. The more people who retain playing the game, the more new players will join in seeing a strong community, keeps them buying, keeps stores keeping them in stock, keeps making FFG money, keeps them working on expansions and additions, etc.

While Chess hasn't changed in quite some time, it also isn't really considered exciting. Nor is chess going to single handedly keep a store afloat, keep most peoples interest. Chess is a great game, a time tested game, but new sells, so that is why expansion is good. Expansion with control is good, expansion without purpose, like in warhammer can be bad.

Edited by AngryAngel

I think the Defender looks awesome and it will be cool to see the Z-95 and X-wings together. Although I kinda think I won't buy as many of these ships as say the standard fighters but that is more because besides the Z-95 they are specialty and high end fighters rather the commonly fielded ships. But it should be really cool to get at least 1 or 2 of each of these!

Edit: As for why expansion is good. While some people I am sure don't need expansions. As a company, they want to make money, and in todays now now now world, many people will get bored with a game that grows stagnant. So expansions keep people excited, keeps the scene vibrant, and stirs up sales. The more people who retain playing the game, the more new players will join in seeing a strong community, keeps them buying, keeps stores keeping them in stock, keeps making FFG money, keeps them working on expansions and additions, etc.

While Chess hasn't changed in quite some time, it also isn't really considered exciting. Nor is chess going to single handedly keep a store afloat, keep most peoples interest. Chess is a great game, a time tested game, but new sells, so that is why expansion is good. Expansion with control is good, expansion without purpose, like in warhammer can be bad.

Many Board games don't have a never ending expansion mentality, and people keep buying them.

If FFG keeps the competitive circuit going with store championships / regionals / worlds, and they tweak it here and there to ensure there is excellent balance that allows for hundreds of viable competitive lists, it will keep players interested regardless of additions to the game. I'd much rather see a complete game with a bow on it, than endless bloat that eventually tears the game apart.

I wasn't super stoked about the Moldy Crow, but I got it anyway due to it being the only odd ship in that group. Also, I'm waiting impatiently for my Imperial Aces and the BIG SHIPS. For some reason, I just can't get excited about any of the next wave ships. The E-Wing and Z-95 just look weird and out of place next to the classic designs and, while I like the tri-wing TIEs, I'd rather have more TIE Interceptors. Anyone else feel this way?

I will probably get the sets for new upgrades and strategies, but I'm not pumped.

The non z-95 ships don't excite me much. I mentioned that in the podcast.

I'm with the OP.

I see the role that all of the ships will fill, and I do like the concept of the Z-95 in particular, I'm just not excited about buying them, and won't.

If the 'upcoming' wasn't already oversaturated with Imp Aces (which I may buy) and the big ships (which I don't see buying, using or storing), I might be interested, but I just met the Wave 4 announcement with "release fatigue."

FFG is clearly doing a good job marketing, as everybody and their dog wants to buy ten, but I'm getting tired of feeling the need to 'Keep up'.

Expansion is always good!

Or we'll get bored of the game!

I never understood this mentality.  Chess hasn't changed in hundreds of years and no one is board of it yet...

*Edit*

A good game should have deep enough strategy it doesn't need constant expansion to remain interesting. FFG is really close to that with X-Wing.  They could release 10 or 12 more ships, 20 or 30 more upgrades, and then come back and do a 2nd edition with  some tweaks for balance, and I think the game would be great for years and years with no other releases.  Just keep the competitive circuit going and have fun!

http://ludemegames.com/chess2/

I get why people aren't excited. It can be the same instance where some people completely detest the prequels and refuse to have anything to do with them. Some have that opinion of the EU. Or you can have that opinion for a completely different reason. That being the case, thinking that continued releases will somehow diminish the game, in my opinion, is a little unwarranted. FFG has done a pretty good job of keeping even the wave 1 stuff competitive so I don't see the "power creep" as evident in this game as some of the others I have played. I feel like you are really free to play what you want and because of that new releases don't become "must buys" but creates a deeper game depending on who you play.

My major question with all of this is: who the hell cares?

Your excitement or displeasure over upcoming releases doesn't affect me or my gameplay at all. Even if I was the ONLY person who was looking forward to the new stuff I wouldn't care. Are these posts to get some kind of validation of your opinion? It's not news, it's not a tip/trick, you're not looking for assistance with anything, or sharing anything worthwhile, so what's the point? Just feel however you want about the new wave, we don't need to compare opinions...

I've said this before elsewhere but, I have no investment at all into the EU. Have never read any book or graphic novel, and probably never will. Have played a handful of video games but mostly just KOTOR and Battlefront. Don't really care for any of the EU for the most part. That being said I'm really excited for these new ships! Mostly for what they add to the game. Am I excited as I was for Slave 1? Or B-Wings? Not nearly. But I readily welcome these EU ships and will happily purchase them and fly them! This was the logic next step for the game. 

As for the designs, I think they all fit very nicely in with the movie ships. The Rebel ships feel rugged and the Imperial ships are very angular and threatening looking. Fits the spirit of the original designs well in my opinion. 

FFG will(and should if they can keep coming up with enough content) producing new minis. If they don't the tournament scene will stagnate and then die because the tournament scene would be the same all the time. While they don't need to keep coming up with new stuff for the casual player because casual players are playing for fun and not out for the win. Tournament players will only ever run the best ships for tournament play, its just how that stuff works.

This is the first wave that sent chils down my spine. Im stoked. I was hoping for TIE droids for u.der 10 points stock. But that will be wave 5(crosses fingers )

I think you'll get 'em since they gave us the E-Wing this wave.

I'm definitely excited for new ships. New stuff is always exciting even though I may not use a ton of the ships initially. I will be experimenting with new builds like I always do. I have played probably 20 games so far and have not used the same list twice. The depth is outstanding.

Now, if I was to really get excited I'd love to see some shadows of the empire love along with some of the main bounty hunter ships (I.e. IG-2000, Punishing One, Hound's Tooth). I've been addicted since I started playing.

I wasn't super stoked about the Moldy Crow, but I got it anyway due to it being the only odd ship in that group. Also, I'm waiting impatiently for my Imperial Aces and the BIG SHIPS. For some reason, I just can't get excited about any of the next wave ships. The E-Wing and Z-95 just look weird and out of place next to the classic designs and, while I like the tri-wing TIEs, I'd rather have more TIE Interceptors. Anyone else feel this way?

I will probably get the sets for new upgrades and strategies, but I'm not pumped.

Your truly in the minority with not being excited! Being on the EU......

My major question with all of this is: who the hell cares?

Your excitement or displeasure over upcoming releases doesn't affect me or my gameplay at all. Even if I was the ONLY person who was looking forward to the new stuff I wouldn't care. Are these posts to get some kind of validation of your opinion? It's not news, it's not a tip/trick, you're not looking for assistance with anything, or sharing anything worthwhile, so what's the point? Just feel however you want about the new wave, we don't need to compare opinions...

Sorry, there are dozens of reasons for this thread to exist and very few reasons for your post to be here.  The people who are interested in the thread will come here and be happy to see what everyone has to say.

Some people probably are looking to have their opinion validated, others want to be convinced why they should get on board.  We do know a little bit about the ships so there could easily be some discussion about the meta-game if anyone finds it interesting enough to post about.  Some people might be looking for help with financial decisions... like say the Z-95 is going to be too frail to compete with X, and you will likely need to field so many of them to have a worthwhile build so I would not buy any of them because you are going to have to spend a lot of money on a bunch of junk (not my personal opinion, but it is an example).

It's also interesting to see the various reasons that people are/not excited about the release.  I personally love the Z-95 because it really does feel like the precursor to the X-Wing and is a nice little piece of history.  I want all the ships but I do feel like the defender looks kind of ridiculous.  It reminds me how razor blade companies keep adding more blades to their razors... I assume the Tie Defender Mark IV will have 37 wings attached to it and will basically look like a mini Deathstar flying through space.

Other people just want to read anything about X-Wing they can.  I don't get to play much so I just like to read about everything that is happening, and sometimes I'd rather read some random thread of speculation or opinions than look at endless pages of repaints and potential builds.

Really, I just want to hear the opinions of various people in the community and speculate a little myself.  It's interesting to see how things pan out in the long run.  People might say running a list full of cheap Z-95's is going to be a waste of time, and maybe a year from now we will see that the build is the next butt-kicking Tie Swarm.

Anyway, when all is said and done I wouldn't sweat it.  Enjoy the thread if it interests you and ignore it if it doesn't.  It's not like the community is so active that you have to wade through pages of "garbage" threads to find that awesome HSF build that you were looking for.