Sign in to follow this  
Scurvy Lobster

Line laser (for checking firing arcs) mini-review

I have purchased a fancy little red line laser from the German company Laserfuchs (Laser fox). Their stock was down it seems so I decided to order through Amazon.de instead and then I had it within days (I live in a country that is parked right next to Germany, so no surprise really).

So well, here are some pictures :)

ntawytbkntc5ztnizmezntjlmjzhotjjzmyzy2jh

Out on patrol...

y2i0zwfjyzi2yte1yjqxmtezmdnhzdy3zmzknwjl

But wait! Interceptors! Doing what they do best :)

But who do they fire at?

zmiwyzcwy2u2ntg1otlkyzrkzjlhngzloddmowiz

Our fancy little line laser shows that both Interceptors can actually hit Wedge. Prepare for some heavy focused fire Mr. Antilles. You can't repel firepower of that magnitude!

zdgzywziytc4yza0ntc5yzrimzi0ngy2ztu2ngzj

A little later we see that one of the Interceptors can't take a shot :(

yjvmmdgymwzlmdmxyzqxztzjm2vmytuzngvizwew

Just to show how the laser is capable of scaling up. Maybe a Death Star sized laser for X-wing might come in handy :)

njm5zmzizgm4y2iwmwuwodk4zwrjmzgyyzzjmzfm

The line laser. Lipstick sized due to popular demand :)

If you found this interesting then you may also want to check out my mini-reviews of the Feldherr backpack and the Cog 'o' Two acrylic templates/tokens.

I've always figured the laser line projector can be a great tool for the game but just know that some people will grow VERY offended when you use it to check firing arcs.  It may not be "measuring" anything more than an angle but is basically the exact same thing as "eyeballing" something by getting right in line with it to see how things will go.

Yes, of course you can't use it all the time :) But for checking if a ship is in or out of a firing arc when you declare a target it's great. All the laser does is avoid the possible bumps from measuring in crowded places. It can solve debates really quickly when you just light up the laser and let everyone see clearly if it's in or out.

Edited by Scurvy Lobster

I find if I use something like that and its first used to show that I don't have a shot, when you use it for the other player they tend to not be so upset, as you used it on your own first.. but there are always those who will take offense no matter what happens..

Well there's a big difference between using that at will, and using it in a situation where you're checking to see mid combat if someone is in arc or not. I have one like this and have only gotten positive responses, because the only time it comes out is when a shot is too close to call and we agree to break out the laser line for a better look.

It's the same situation where the game instructs you to use the range ruler to do the same thing, but much more precise and much less likely to bump minis while measuring.

I think as long as you remember "it is a tool for measuring" and that having it doesn't give you license to randomly measure any more than you're allowed to bust out the range ruler at will, you'll be fine.  

It's never been a problem for me thus far, because the only times it's ever turned on it's preceded by some variation of the following exchange:
"Oh man, does this guy have a shot?"
"Wow, I don't know, that is REALLY close."

"Here, let's check."

Edited by CrookedWookie

has anyone tried to mount their laser on a ship base and slide it around? if it is pointed a little downward it should work. plus it would give you a better more stable non-jittery hands free read, no matter how many cans of Red Bull you have drank.

Edited by Duke of Advil

I just picked up a Black & Decker laser level from Lowes for $15. I haven't used it in a game yet, but It looks like it will work just fine. It has a good base to sit on, and projects a nice line about 15 degrees above and 45 degrees below horizontal.

I just picked up a Black & Decker laser level from Lowes for $15. I haven't used it in a game yet, but It looks like it will work just fine. It has a good base to sit on, and projects a nice line about 15 degrees above and 45 degrees below horizontal.
think this is a better idea than a round laser that requires you to hold it or let it roll around.