Sign in to follow this  
Tracker1

How much do you read flavor text on cards while playing?

As much as i would like to get into reading flavor text on player cards and encounter cards while playing, I soon forget about it when the game gets going. I find it distracts me from game play, and I just can't bring myself to do it even when playing a scenario for the first time.

Does anyone find it adds to the theme of the game while playing, or are you in the same boat as me?

Edited by Tracker1

As much as i would like to get into reading flavor text on player cards while playing, I soon forget about it when the game gets going. I find it distracts me from game play, and I just can't bring myself to do it even when playing a scenario for the first time.

Does anyone find it adds to the theme of the game while playing, or are you in the same boat as me?

never.

in fact, i don't typically read it even when i'm looking at the cards for the first time. :-/

I read it on encounter cards quite often, mostly on treacheries, if they have some. It is nicely thematic... But where I love to read flavor text are locations. It is awesome to read it when you travel there and then look at the artwork closely. It makes theme for the combat. You know where are you fighting and... I like it :D

But I dont read it on player cards at all. Only when I see them for the 1st time.

Never, true.

In fact, i forget who is beravor, who is frodo, who is... everybody, when i am playing. I only think about my strategy and the one of my friends, how to win... I dont think if Boromir die in the real history, if Aragorn will be the King of Gondor, if Eowyn kills one Nazgul, etc.

Maybe in Black Riders a little bit, because it is more easy to do.

Perhaps is my wrong, i must think more about the thematic way of the game. But, i always want to win, and i am only thinking about it!!!

Edited by Mndela

Honestly, who even reads the cards in the first place?

I find that I usually just recognize the images on the cards and recall the card titles and abilities from memory.

I sometimes do this to a fault; when I'm playing a scenario or using card that has spent some time on the shelf.

I almost always read them when I am looking through brand new cards for the first time, but sadly they usually get forgotten when I'm actually playing through a quest.  I suppose it does distract from gameplay if you stop and read the small print on the cards that don't have an immediate use rather than thematic involvement.

Even though I do my best to remain a thematic player and enjoy this game from an authentic Tolkien approach, I must admit that I'm usually too focused on dreading the next nasty treachery or gruesome "when revealed" effect to appreciate the flavor texts that accompany them.  

But, as of now, I'm going to make the conscious decision to try and slow down and read them more!

Edited by Karlson

But, as of now, I'm going to make the conscious decision to try and slow down and read them more!

Good luck. I have tried that approach and it usually lasts for the first encounter card drawn. Edited by Tracker1

I always put on my best reading voice to boom out the story of our ill-fated journey on the quest card flavor text, otherwise, no. I do not do this solo, as far as evidence reaches.

Edited by camacazio

As much as i would like to get into reading flavor text on player cards and encounter cards while playing, I soon forget about it when the game gets going. I find it distracts me from game play, and I just can't bring myself to do it even when playing a scenario for the first time.

Yeah I'm in the same boat as you at least for the first few times I play a quest or until I beat it. Just looking through my cards or setting up for a scenario I've played many times however I will read the flavor text as it is often really thematic and interesting just as you said distracting when your trying to actively beat a quest (especially considering I play two handed and have to stay focused while playing or can sometimes make small mistakes)

That's sad that so many don't read the flavor text! I noticed that on a recent play through video I was watching (I think Mitch and Matthew D). I was bummed they didn't read the flavor.

I definitely do it more when playing with others but I even put on my LOTR music to really get into the atmosphere. That's what us Bilbo players love! Master of Lore would agree I'm sure!

That's sad that so many don't read the flavor text! I noticed that on a recent play through video I was watching (I think Mitch and Matthew D). I was bummed they didn't read the flavor.

oh geez...the narrative at the beginning/end isn't enough?! ;)

In my group we read the quest flavor out loud as we progress through it.

Same with my buddies. I read it every time I play solo too...I may even stop to glance at quotes from the books at the bottom of the cards :\

But, it's a personal issue haha.

I sometimes read the flavor text on characters to figure out from where the heck they were pulled out from the books, usually they don't help out at all so I'm all like "well ok, thanks, you faceless piece of game mechanic, I WILL put you in my deck"

I like to read the flavor text on the player cards when I first look at them and then occasionally I may read them again if I like a card and play it often.  As for encounter cards many don't even have flavor text so I either forget about it or read it because I think "oh wow, flavor text"... Overall I think it's cool and adds good theme bringing you into Tolkien's world  :)

I love the flavor text when the cards are new. It puts the card into thematic perspective and reminds me of the relevant bits of story. I find that this helps me remember the card over the long term, makes it easier to recall its name and what it does. This is especially true of encounter cards. After I've played with a card a few times, I rarely read the flavor text unless its a favorite card.

I will usually read through them 2 or 3 times. If I am reading them more than that it is probably because it is taking me forever to beat the quest! I do like the story of Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit though, started reading the books several months ago and I am at the part where Shelob engages Frodo, but him and Sam are tapped and cannot defend (pun intended).