I almost posted this to an existing thread, but I didn't want to derail its discussion further. I am prepared for the hatestorm, but I had to get this out of my system.
I'm a pretty patient person. But does every single Kami-forsaken thread have to turn into a continued bemoaning of the lack of Mantis and/or Spider? I'm terribly sorry your factions were not included. Truly. I can't imagine how it feels to feel so slighted. But for the love of the Fortunes, I don't know how much more I can take.
Mantis wasn't a faction when AEG started this game way back in the day. Spider wasn't even a glimmer in the story team's collective eyes. Maybe it'll happen in the future. Maybe it won't! Maybe we'll get some bizarre Lobster clan full of tainted pirates sworn to Gaidotsu. And maybe not. Plenty of factions have come and gone over the years under AEG, and we have no reason to believe that FFG won't do the same!
I played Mantis. I played Spider, I played Lion, Unicorn, Dragon, Ratling, and Crane. Enough. Take a nice deep breath, and -- as mono no aware will teach us, if Disney has not yet done so -- let it go.
Or, alternatively, educate me. Tell me why nearly every single thread in this board has been infiltrated by, what essentially boils down to, "Oh yeah, well at least you have a clan!"
All Hida are hardcore. Besides looking like a ripped version of the shredder Hida Kisada fought Fu Leng hand to hand and survived having a sword driven through his gut it eventually killed him two and a half years later. He was then so epic that he fought his way back to life, fought in more wars and was eventually killed in his old age by an army of scorpion clan ninja. He ended up killing 24 of them with his bare hands before being knocked out. There is some epic art of him doing this.
His son Sukune got sacrificed to Fu Leng which doomed his soul to Jigoku(hell) but he was such a pure spirit he was just able to leave.
His other son Yakumo not only got to have two powerful magic hands (one a evil claw the other a jade fist) and was chosen as the crab clan thunder to fight and kill Fu Leng but eventually he became the sun.
The Hida family is the single largest group of hard core people in rokugan.
Here is some art from the internet that I found which will act as a teaser of sorts.
Am posting these out of enthusiasm and, like myself, for those of us who are visual learners; this might help us gravitate toward our chosen L5R LCG playing deck....
This is for rules questions that they might actually be able to answer at the facebook live event on Friday 5/12. Here are mine.
Edit - After the Facebook Live event, we have some answers! in blue below.
Answered on 5/12:
1) Can you take actions if you have no one in your army? For example, can you play "Cloud the Mind" if you have no one in your army but have a Shugenja at home? Yes
2) Can Isawa Masahiro use his action even if he isn't in the army? Can he use his action if your army is empty? The same question applies to Solemn Scholar. Yes, design philosophy is "shugenjas do stuff from a distance, bushis need to be there"
3) When a conflict is taking place, is the ring currently being contested considered to be "unclaimed" for purposes of card effects? Or are "unclaimed", "contested", and "claimed" three distinct states? - They are three distinct states. A contested ring is not unclaimed. 4) Can bowed cards/characters use printed abilities? Yes
5) What happens if a personality with a "dash" skill finds themselves in a conflict of that type? For example: A player declares a military conflict and assigns Matsu Berserker against a Mori Kuroi Province, which immediately gets changed to political. Does the Berserker continue to participate in the conflict, or does he immediately leave? If he leaves, does he go home bowed or unbowed? They go home bowed immediately
Answered on 5/26
1) Does the attacker "win" if his/her army is empty at battle resolution if the opponent's total skill is also 0? You need at least 1 skill to win a conflict.
2) Who wins a tie in a duel? No one. No winner. No loser.
3) If a "Conflict Deck" card has no influence symbols, what does that mean? It can't be splashed
4) What happens when a deck is empty? You lose 5 honor and reshuffle.
Answered on 6/23
1) Can the effect (not cost) of an action target someone who it will not affect? Example, can you bow an already bowed target, or honor an already honored target? All choices made must impact the game state. You can never chose to bow someone who is already bowed or to dishonor someone who can't be dishonored.
2) It has been noted that each province card has an element on it, and speculation is that this effects deck building. Can you elaborate? Your 5 provinces must contain one of each element.
1) One article says that actions on Characters are "once per turn". Is this true of actions on Attachments and Strongholds as well?
2) Can conflict characters be played outside of Conflict? If they need to be played during a conflict, can they be played into your home?
5) What happens if someone with a - stat enters a duel of that type?
6) What are "Personalities", mentioned in the product page?
7) How does restricted work? Can you not target a character with a restricted attachment if they already have 2, or can you choose to discard one of the attachments?
More as they are posted.
Please, only rules questions. Things like "Are the mantis coming back?" or "what about multiplayer?" are not likely to be answered.
Edit: I'm going to play this like Kiseki's "Common Misconceptions" thread and add to this original post as additional good questions are raised, with a "Good" question being one that hasn't been answered anywhere and that cannot have it's answer easily determined by the presented information.