Agreed. I don't play JM5Ks but now the whole expansion is wrecked. Why include Salvaged Astromech cards if the ship can't use them? Likewise, the whole point of Advanced SLAM for the K-Wing was to drop bombs, as FFG pointed out in their preview article.
I would have liked to see more minor corrections rather than such a severe correction.
(1) Remove the EPT slot from unnamed JM5K pilots.
(2) Limit Biggs to ONCE PER ROUND.
(3) Leave Attani Mindlink alone. It was already leaving the field of competitive play.
(4) Leave Advanced SLAM alone.
(5) Changes to Genius only reinforced a core mechanic (blocking). This card was being exploited so the change honors the intent of the card. This is the only change to do so.
As as result, I think this will negatively affect the X-Wing community and gameplay.
(1) JM5Ks are basically useless and the lack of a Salvaged Astromech even with the Title makes this ship boring. Moreover, in an ordinance heavy meta, this can no longer equip any ordinance. This is basically the same as FFG saying they don't want anyone to play JM5Ks any more. I'm not sure why FFG is still selling the Punishing One expansion in its current form since they have so heavily altered the play mechanic of the ship. At the very least, the Salvaged Astromech should have been included in the Title, but I would also favor at least one Torpedo there as well.
(2) Biggs was a problem in some situations, but there are many work around, including the upcoming Harpoon Missile. BTW, I am not impressed with the FFG interview on Scum & Villainy--but a big thanks for bringing them on. In particular, the one game designer had no reason for Harpoon Missiles apart from it being a mechanic he liked. When asked about the negative affect of these Harpoon Missiles on Imperial swarms, he basically said they were dead and gave no indication he was interested in bringing it back.
(3) Attani Mindlink was on its way out of the field of competition before this nerf, so this was really unnecessary. If FFG wanted to nerf it, this should have been done a year ago.
(4) To alter Advanced SLAM is to alter a fundamental mechanic which FFG used to sell the ship in the first place--SLAM bombing. This was a fun and creative aspect of the game only ruined by bomblet generator and perhaps Sabine. Yet instead of limiting Sabine crew card with a range limitation or a frequency limitation (e.g., once per round), they nerf Advanced SLAM. Stupid.
(5) The only reasonable nerf was Genius, and that only clarified rules which upheld a core game mechanic (i.e., blocking).
Is sum, there is a difference between clarifying rules, FAQs to maintain the core mechanic (e.g., Genius), and outright changing the mechanic of a ship or pilot. This last option is not one with which I agree. Lastly, the designers seem to have lost any way to differentiate factions. Everything is becoming homogeneous and consequently, I may be done with X-Wing. I will play with the ships I already own with friends in accordance with the 4.3.3 FAQ, but FFG seems to be out of touch with the game and the real issues in it.