Jump to content

Flavorabledeez

Members
  • Content Count

    335
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Flavorabledeez

  • Rank
    Member
  • Birthday

Recent Profile Visitors

361 profile views
  1. Flavorabledeez

    Suggest Some Droid-Hostile Work Environments

    It might stem from one of the worst scenes in the prequels, but 3P0’s line of machines making machines being “perverse” has some implications, especially with the knowledge that Anakin made 3P0 and Jawas fix up and sell droids. Essentially, it seems like the norm in Star Wars is some kind of humanoids make droids instead of them being pumped out in automated factories (although different types might be, like astromechs), so a droid making factory/operation could work in this case. Ugnaughts might also be an example of this kind of thing as well.
  2. I think it’s funny we’re even talking about Imperial prisons. According to the OT, those were individual rooms aboard Star Destroyers or the Death Star where they torture you for information until they decide you’re useless and then execute you.
  3. Man, I wish my players were that sentimental. My experience has always been that what happens at the table is what they seem to care about the most. I get more along the lines of “this blaster is all I have left to remind me of the farm my family was murdered on by the Empire, but it doesn’t let me roll as many dice as I’d like to, so I’ll trade it in for something better the first chance I get.”
  4. Thing is the OP stated that we’re talking about starting gear here, so the treasured keepsake doesn’t apply. But making things easier for the GM does. If it was me I’d have the players make their characters and starting equipment normally. Then during their escape if Player A takes a blaster off a guard it’s the blaster Player A bought during creation. As they go and grab equipment it’s essentially already “their” equipment, that way I don’t have to look into any lists and designate anything, just focus on story . Anything left they haven’t accumulated during the escape is in a locker on the ship they boost. This is also why I like the fringe idea for the location. It explains why the Imperial guards have piecemeal equipment as opposed to the standard load out. Pretty hard to keep things working when you get resupplied once ever three cycles (if you’re lucky).
  5. The scale works both ways though depending on location. A prison in the outer rim is (most likely) far different than one on the inner sphere. If we’re talking a fringe outpost mining colony jail, even if it’s ran by Imperials it’s probably not “up to code”
  6. Flavorabledeez

    Character Build Advice: Anzati Gangster

    My suggestion is not to worry at all about the stats for brain eating. Have the danger of it shown through the tentacles affecting/being used on NPCs that are important (you could add a mystery aspect to it as well), but in the fight with the PCs I would only show it by having an NPC the players care about being “held hostage” by Kirm under threat of his tentacles. If it were me I’d go this route: the PCs investigate some brutal murders of NPCs the crime boss has been interested in. As they investigate them (could happen over a series of sessions, some even as a subplot), signs start to point to Kirm. When the players confront Kirm, have the enforcer finally snap and take his boss hostage under the threat of being eaten. Dangerous in another way (in this case one of their employers possibly being killed as well as other contacts) is still dangerous.
  7. This mirrors my thoughts as well. Location as well as narrative means everything in this situation, and the OP has a mix of “fringe but not fringe enough to where there isn’t a prison or maybe the PCs are given to a slaver’s guild to work on a mining colony...” so it’s tough to say firmly how valuable starting equipment would be. After all, does a man in the middle of an ocean put a price tag on a life raft? The same could be said of starting equipment on a fringe mining colony that’s just an asteroid functioning as a desert planet’s moon. Starting equipment is “worth” way more there to the players (or a disgraced Imperial Governor who was allowed to live but shipped off to essentially nowhere) than it would be somewhere more inhabited. Just depends on the narrative and location. The Empire doesn’t function the same everywhere, which seems to be the point of the Edge of Empire setting.
  8. Darzil nailed it with options, but I wouldn’t entirely rule out characters finding their equipment during a breakout, especially while locked up in a fringe part of the galaxy. The want to create a warden with a multitude of quirks who sells/trades prisoner’s equipment to get what he wants while far away from “civilization” is a given in this situation. Things are hard to get out there, and you don’t come to manage a situation like that for the Empire by being good at your job...
  9. Flavorabledeez

    Creativity vs Reality - Knock down brawl of the Forum (Ding)!

    Honestly I’m open to read what you have to say for the sake of discussion. I’d actually appreciate a good critique of my views on the whole 99% of fictional universes are NPCs, 1% are legendary PCs or the villains they fight (metaphorically speaking). I’d love a different take on that to see what I’m missing. What?!? How dare you? By golly, I’ll give you what for...
  10. Flavorabledeez

    Creativity vs Reality - Knock down brawl of the Forum (Ding)!

    I swear I do, and I’ve laughed a lot at how seriously some people take their fantasy physics in this thread. But when you use examples of established canon to show your point and the responses are “bleh, why not just let chaos reign and have people fly by flapping their arms and by the way I hate the new material so much it keeps me up at night and I end up raging so hard I tear apart pictures of Rian Johnson with my teeth until I pass out” (now that’s hyperbole) it kind of beats you down after awhile. Mainly from sadness that people are actually hung up so bad on it. I was kinda hoping that wasn’t a real thing. I did enjoy the visual of someone being evaporated by the speed they’d need to make a throw around a planet though. That’s good stuff.
  11. Flavorabledeez

    Creativity vs Reality - Knock down brawl of the Forum (Ding)!

    So you hate the new stuff and therefore it’s hyperbole instead of established canon examples of the concept I’m trying to convey? Sounds reasonable. And yeah, 99% of a fictional galaxy are NPCs who have to live by a clear set of rules. The other 1% can bend/break/work around them to make for good storytelling, be they hero or villain. Please keep in mind I’m not talking about the breaking of GAME rules here, just established fictional world rules. There’s no point in breaking the game rules when they’re already made to reflect this whole idea.
  12. Flavorabledeez

    New Book Alert: Allies and Adversaries

    While I agree with you about this, player comfort is always more restricting than the limits of any intellectual property. My experience has shown the player who can step out of their comfort zone and play a different style than what they usually run to be rare. Ones who can play a character who actually GROWS through personal experiences? Even rarer. Hats off to those who have entire playgroups consisting of versatility in roleplaying.
  13. Flavorabledeez

    New Book Alert: Allies and Adversaries

    In my D&D experience once some parties start to hit around 9th level their worst enemies are themselves. Happy to hear this game holds up better in the long run. My group tends to do small storylines ranging from one to three sessions, so we stay pretty low in xp.
  14. Flavorabledeez

    New Book Alert: Allies and Adversaries

    Hasn’t there been quite a few complaints about the game “breaking down” when people try knight level play, especially with force users? The concept seems to pop up when I’ve searched around through play blogs and the like (I don’t know firsthand, my group hasn’t tried it yet). If so, it would make sense to release Rise of the Seperatists, get a massive amount of feedback, then compile, revise, and release a new edition where the ideas do work.
  15. Flavorabledeez

    Creativity vs Reality - Knock down brawl of the Forum (Ding)!

    I look at your “not catering to <1% of the galaxy” a little differently. That’s the definition of your heroes (players)in rpgs. The other 99% comprises basic npcs. Player characters break all the “rules” with what they can do. They mow down hordes of villains and fly through impossible to navigate areas of space. There’s the established rules of reality and then there’s those who break or find ways around them to make an engaging story. And why are all examples of rule breaking brewing over with hyperbole in this thread? All the naysayers seem to go immediately to the most extreme “sky is falling” example to try and bring their point across. Just a heads up: it doesn’t help. The entire franchise this is based on has really good examples of establishing precedent for something and having the heroes subvert it. Han flies through an asteroid field, Luke brings his father back to the light despite a talking frog telling him to kill him, Leia doesn’t let her brother get too physical with her so it’s not weird later... etc etc
×