Hi! A couple of months ago, i got my hands on this incredible game ( allready ordered Dunwich, Innsmouth and Lurker! ) . I have played it a couple of times, i'll try to recall all of them here (i'll do this because there's a question about this i want to ask) :
- My first game was against Yig, i read that Azathoth was the beginner's choice, but the fact that he pretty muchadded NOTHING to thegame was kind of "meh" to me, so we ( a group of 6 people ) went against Yig ;D . We had to go back to the rulebook a couple of times for being the very first time we played, but it was a beautiful game! Yig woke up, and we were not experienced enough to prevent his curse, so anyone was blessed xD, but we managed to kill him, thanks to a clued up Joe Dimond with a shotgun ! We didn't even know at that moment that this combination was so lethal xD, so iguess we were lucky!
- Second game, against Ithaqua, took place immediatly after the Yig one, we were all very hyped and decided to play another game, but it had to be cancelled when we realized it was 5 am in the morning 0.0 .
- Third game, it was against ithaqua again, a group of 4, we sealed him without any problem
-Fourth, against Yig again ( i played with other people ) but this time i knew we had to get blessed. Yig woke up, but this time it was a walk in the park xD.
- Fifth was another cancelled game, against Nyarlathothep ):
- Sixth, Nyarly again, a new group of 4, we managed to seal him away ;D .
- Seventh and my last one until now, the terrible Yogh-Sothoth 0.0 . Actually i thought it was going to be harder, we managed to seal him with the doom track at 7 i think.
So now, some questions and reflexions: Until now, i have never lost a game, which kind of confueses me, because i keep reading how hard this game is, so i tried to figure out why... and i think i know why ! ---> Mandy Thompson... She was a constant in our games, at the moment i read her special ability, i knew she was OP. I realised this against Yog, thinking " Why wasnt it THAT hard? " i realised it was her all this time xD, closing the gates would have been a pain in the ass without her! I think i will try to avoid our group for using her next time, and it will be against Shub-Niggurath ! So i hope ( yes, I HOPE ) we get our asses served to us. I just want to know if it was her all this time 0.0 .
So, what do you think about it ? Could it be Mandy Thompson? Is she really THAT OP ? Im prettyconvinced it was here all this time !
And here, another question: I think we have been using the Elder Signs wrong.. i mean, the card itself is pretty confusing... It says " any phase... " so, like, i cant use it in the movement phase, and then have an encounter in the same location? And is it an aoutomatic close+seal ? AND i have read that, to use it propperly, you first have to EXPLORE the other world, come back, and then use it in the encounter phase to instant close+seal ... so how does it exactly works?
And my final question: How well does the difficulty scalates? I mean, my last game against Yog was a 7 people game.. and i think that it was another factor that made the game easier... we had all areas covered ( we had 2 investigators cleaning the monsters, 2-3 managing the gates, and we had 1-2 guys at times like doing pretty much nothing relevant /: ) . Is it like a known issue? I mean, you dont need 5 ppl to kill monsters, and you deffinitely dont want EVERYBODY to take clues to seal ( just let the ppl with more clues get them ) so, what happens to the other people? what do they do?
Well, that's all ! I have been really enjoying the game so far, but i want it to get harder! I hope the expansions fix this!