Jump to content

SonicPara

Members
  • Content Count

    31
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by SonicPara

  1. We need the Phantom to blow up the meta, X-Wing should be about moving and dogfighting instead of jousting. Glad to see a Phantom in the top slot at regionals.
  2. SonicPara

    Rex load out

    They aren't equal though; attack dice succeed 4/8 times (6/8 with focus) while evade succeed 3/8 times (5/8 with focus). Technically speaking +1 attack die is more valuable than +1 evade die though personal experience can of course make things appear differently. Adding an attack die or reducing the opponent's evade die are both great advantages but they really do nothing to take advantage of Rexler Brath's ability. On a Defender the Outmaneuver upgrade would fit better on Vessery in a list with target locks to use his ability; this results in Vessery being exceptionally accurate (especially with a focus too) and the target having less opportunity to evade. It still requires that Vessery be out of firing arcs though which can be a tall order.
  3. SonicPara

    Rex load out

    It is actually not quite that potent as it reduces agility instead of increasing attack dice; attack dice are stronger than evade dice. I feel that Predator is the way to go with Rexler Brath because he is all about saving his focus until after his attack is concluded and that means he needs a way to be accurate without using his focus. Push the Limit is a solution as well so that he can Target Lock and Focus but it forces a stress on the Defender's awkward dial who can only clear stress by moving straight. Predator is weaker than Target Lock but not forcing a stress on the Defender is a huge deal. Predator also applies on every single attack while outmaneuver only works if you get yourself out of the enemy's firing arcs; possible sure with the white K-turn but far less reliable than Predator.
  4. SonicPara

    Rex load out

    No way. Rexler Brath is a ship that increases the potency of your damage when you fire accurately. To work towards this your build needs to focus on making him more accurate to increase the chances that you can use his ability. To achieve this try running him with Predator at 40 points even. Rexler Brath with Outmaneuver and HLC is simply too many points tied up in one ship for Imperials and his build does nothing to work towards getting his special ability to go off. Sure the damage potential is there but you will find that you will rarely have the focus token after shooting as you will need to use it to make your shots more accurate; predator helps offset this issue.
  5. My Sonic A-Wing vs his Rainbow Dash TIE Interceptor
  6. Yessss more non-standard repaints. One of us, ONE OF US
  7. Not exactly. It will depend on if they want to make sure common USB joysticks will work or not and really, I would be amazed if that isn't a priority.
  8. Was expecting a F2P game with a client like League of Legends, World of Tanks, and the easiest comparison World of Warplanes. F2P is not an excuse for skimpy/shoddy product so let's hope they can get it right, even as a browser-based game.
  9. Try "Sun Crusher" http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sun_Crusher
  10. Sorry to say but that is not the actual set; the picture is from a series of urban Star Wars mashup art pieces. We don't have an actual picture of the set but we have known about it for over two months. Hopefully he will tweet a picture to keep drumming up hype.
  11. Thanks for the feedback. I'll give it a try this weekend and see how it goes. In general I have avoided painting the tan muzzles but I agree, it could help on this otherwise understated repaint. If I paint the Imperials then they will be Robotnik and his minions.
  12. Next up is a B-Wing inspired by Knuckles the Echidna. Knuckles is a bruiser, through and through, and really fits the bruiser nature of the B-Wing quite well. His design is fairly simple so the repaint is as well with only a few distinctive markings like the white chevron around the fuselage to represent the character's chest and the white on the cannons to represent his spiked, gloved fists. The last distinctive markings are the designs on the primary weapon pod at the base of the ship which match up to Knuckles' shoes. Ultimately, I'm not too thrilled with this one for a number of reasons but I think the B-Wing looks surprisingly good in red. Up next is either a Rouge X-Wing or a Silver Y-Wing!
  13. Vader mimicks dice rolls. As you stated, the Vader copilot card deals critical damage, NOT a "face-up damage card." If you deal damage, shields come in to play. If you deal a damage card, they do not. Think of damage as a two stage process like this: Deal Damage - (Check for shields) > Deal Damage Cards If you deal a face-up damage card, you skip step 1 (and the check for shields). If you deal damage, you perform the check for shields. Vader is blocked by shields but a Proton Bomb that explicitly states to deal a "face-up damage card" ignores shields.
  14. If you aren't running Bombers then Jendon doesn't seem so worth it but that TL buffing a focused Interceptor can be nasty. I'm a fan of the Omicron + Vader + Gunner shuttle. If you proc Vader and Gunner every turn it kills itself in 3 turns, removing the need for turning around. It clocks in at 29 points so the value is questionable but it can put out some serious damage. Right now I'm considering the same build on Jendon to use the TL to buff allies and rely on Gunner for adding reliability to his damage. At 34 points it is less attractive as a suicide unit but it does bring some pilot skill superiority and welcome support to a list. Honestly, the real thing keeping the shuttle down is the restrictive range on the support abilities. On the flipside the massive 1-3 range for Roark and Katarn make the HWK better than anticipated.
  15. No disappointments here, just the Lambda requiring more effort to use than the others. Not a bad thing, though I could see some people being disappointed in it. So far the only ship that has been really disappointing in my opinion is the TIE Advanced
  16. I was only able to play the list once and the experiment was completely ruined by dice. The concept is good as I pinned 7 damage on an A-Wing at range 3 in one round (1 of them vader) but 6 out of 7 successes on the opponent's evade dice stopped everything except Vader; on average the A-Wing should have been toast. Jendon feels a little too expensive and I'm wondering if Yorr wouldn't be better due to the lower cost and ability for stress-less K turns on the interceptors but the target locks did help me slightly recover from atrocious dice rolling a few times. I'm going to exclusively play this list for the next few games to get a better idea of how to fly it and see how it does when luck isn't taking center stage. One option, that would help deal with the inevitable issues with hot and cold dice, would be to ditch the FCS and Merc Copilot on Jendon and the Determination on Howlrunner and give Jendon a Gunner. Using Vader twice with Gunner is scary and a good way to lose Jendon's support quickly but it is also entirely optional. Could always go down to an Omicron and use the saved points to put a stealth device on the Alpha and Determination back on Howlrunner. I'm not warm or cold on any of those ideas, just thinking out loud here.
  17. Have an updated idea for a Kir Kanos list that I will try tonight and post up results; here is the list: Kir Kanos (Stealth Device) - 27 points Colonel Jendon (Fire Control System, Darth Vader, Mercenary Copilot) - 33 points Alpha Squadron - 18 points Howlrunner (Stealth Device, Determination) - 22 points The idea here is to utilize the high agility of the TIEs and the high health of the Lambda to win ranged shoot-outs with Howlrunner re-rolls, Lambda criticals, and Kir Kanos' additional damage. The Alpha is here to be both a tempting target and an expendable damage threat that will either draw attention due to its poor (in comparison to the other TIEs) defense or will go ignored because of its low ranking; it will either draw fire from the more important components of the list or will punish the opponent for ignoring it. Howlrunner's utility goes without saying and the upgrades and her actions will almost always be defensive in nature. I switched out Gunner for the Mercenary Copilot on the Lambda to make it more difficult for the opponent to just focus it down and make it irrelevant. Jendon's ability is also a happy bonus as he can pass it off to Kanos or the Alpha and rely on their maneuverability to make use of the target locks. Kir Kanos is very straightforward as an extremely unattractive target while also dishing out assured damage through his ability. When the fight closes to range one, he switches from evade to focus and unloads with the Interceptor's much-feared range one salvo. Some nice benefits of the list: Kanos and Jendon are both PS6: With Kanos and Jendon shooting at the same time it allows some flexibility when focusing a single target as Kanos can use his assured damage to strip tokens/shields and Jendon can follow up with punishing critical hits. Howlrunner makes Jendon absurdly accurate: When rolling three attack dice with a focus token your success rate is 75% which translates into 2.25 successes meaning that one die is not statistically a "sure thing." With two of the dice statistically assured to be successful, let's look at the odds of success for a single die with a reroll and a focus. The first roll with a focus token available provides 75% chance to succeed and 25% chance to fail. When rerolling the die (with the focus token still available) there is another 75% chance to succeed meaning we effectively add 18.75% (75% of 25%) to the original 75% chance of success for a total chance of success, after reroll and focus, of 93.75%; with two assured successes and a 93.75% chance of a third, Jendon with focus and howlrunner becomes extremely accurate. Of course, statistics aren't everything but in a game of odds they are valuable in making decisions in tactics and actions. With this in mind, the plan is to focus with Jendon during the first engagement instead of bothering with Target Lock and rely on the Fire Control System to give him Target Locks to use with his ability. Anyways, I will be sure to post findings after tonight. Hopefully I can get a few games in to see if the odds and math really works out as expected.
  18. I've been thinking about a Kanos build and I had the idea for a silly squadron involving that suicide Lambda from the first post. The "Who the heck do I shoot?!?" Squadron Kir Kanos + Stealth - 27 Omicron + Gunner + Vader - 29 Howlrunner + Squad Leader + Stealth - 23 Alpha + Stealth - 21 This is pretty straightforward and not very well thought out but would be fun to play. The idea is to make the opponent have really no worthwhile targets. Shoot the TIEs? Good luck as that is 4/5 evade and usually with an action (Howlrunner is the exception and is something I'm not totally sold on) like focus or evade to make defense even stronger. Shoot the Lambda? Sure, okay. My favorite part about that list is admittedly the suicide Lambda. "But a Lambda only gets one pass before being useless!" I only need one pass to destroy myself and bring the critical pain!
  19. Got to play my first game entirely with repaints. It was great to finally use all of the ships together and I think when flown together they really come together. A Knuckles B-Wing is up next!
  20. So Carnor Jax caused quite a splash when Imperial Aces was first announced and it seems like Kir Kanos has been somewhat pushed to the side. Personally, I think automatic damage is a big deal so I'm dying to find an optimal way to run Kir Kanos. So far, I'm thinking giving him a stealth device and that is it. With the stealth device, you end up with an agility 4/5 ship that ALSO has an evade token. My thinking here is both that that would be incredibly hard to hit and that most opponents will probably decide to shoot another target altogether; this presents the opponent with a decision: "Do I try to strip the evade token from Kir Kanos and likely do little to no damage or do I ignore him, take an automatic damage from his ability, and try to shoot something else?" I think that is a difficult decision. Also, at first glance this kind of build on Kir Kanos would lend itself well to a list full of unappealing targets like Dark Curse, a Bounty Hunter, or a Sensor Jammer Lambda but I'm thinking that it would be hilarious to run him with a Vader/Gunner Omicron Lambda for 3 automatic damage per turn; silly and suicidal I know but you can really cut through someone quick with that much additional, hidden damage. Anyways, what are all of your thoughts on Kir Kanos?
  21. The ion = telekinesis connection was too good to pass up. I really haven't, though painting them as regular TIEs with a Gamma Advanced or Interceptor would allow you to run the entire line together with Gamma as the (rightful) leader.
  22. You just guessed several of my plans for characters, I'll just post the rest of my thoughts: Silver: Y-Wing (Decided on due to Ion Turrets matching his telekinesis AND his lacking speed matching the dial) Knuckles: B-Wing (Really no other choice in my opinion. Both are formidable bruisers) Blaze: X-Wing (Similar thinking to Shadow what with the X-Wing balancing so many characteristics like power and agility) Rouge: X-Wing (Same as Shadow and Blaze, no other rebel ship fits the role of an all-around fighter as well) Chaos and Tikal: YT-1300 (Aside from Big or Vector, nothing else makes sense without dipping in to non-game characters like Rotor) I also was planning a Shuttle for Robotnik and an Interceptor for Metal. No final decisions here, aside from Knuckles who I am base-coating right now. Don't worry, you won't see any Chaotix (or Babylon Rogues) from me if I can help it. I don't usually run missiles on my A-Wings when I play them, they have their own nasty tricks that requires some team-play with the rest of the list. Blah blah power of friendship blah blah
  23. Next up is a HWK-290 painted as Miles "Tails" Prower, Sonic's adoptive brother and trusted sidekick. Like all of my other repaints the ship was washed with Games Workshop's Badab Black before being sprayed by Testor's Dullcote. I chose the HWK-290 for Tails due to its role as a support ship really fitting Tails' role as a sidekick, supporting others around him. With that said, Tails can also be a fighter so the possibility of equipping a Blaster Turret really makes the HWK-290 a perfect fit for the character. The windows were painted a sky blue to represent the eyes and the white chin-stripe at the nose of the ship represents the character's white muzzle; the white accent was continued underneath the ship with white on the turret's cannons for his gloves and a (unseen) patch of white for the chest. Other accents include white and red stripes on the engines for the shoes and socks and even the back-edge of the engines have a dark grey for the soles of the shoes. The engines were painted a combination of blue and white to match the engine detail from the Jan Ors card and the final, perhaps most defining detail is the fox-tail pattern on the HWK-290's twin tails. I'm REALLY happy with how this one turned out. Painting the windows was a gamble (I have left them untouched on my other ships) but I think it really paid off with the stark contrast between the black outline and sky blue panes giving the ship an overall crisp look. I was afraid of the design being monotonous with all of the yellow but I love the shade and I think accents here and there break it up enough. Also, just a note, even with pedestrian painting skills like mine the HWK-290's engines look fantastic when painted; 6 thrusters really looks great on a ship this size. Up next is either a B-Wing, Y-Wing, or a YT-1300. I have characters picked out for each though I'm not certain of the designs so I really don't know which to do next. Also, some friends have pointed out that I need to create a Robotnik to go along with these ships so I had the idea to paint some imperials as Robotnik and his various minions (A Metal Sonic TIE Interceptor, badnik TIE Fighters, etc...). Still unsure if I want to do so because I love the stock Imperial paint-jobs so much but, when completed, the two opposing forces would be great. So, what do you guys think?
  24. While the standard pre-painted finish is excellent, I decided to take my amateur painting skills and have some fun painting some ships as characters from Sonic the Hedgehog, a franchise that has been dear to me for nearly my entire life. I'm not much of a painter and these ships will look inherently silly but I'm hoping for any and all comments about ways I captured the character's aesthetic and such opportunities that I missed. I previously started this thread but it seems it was lost when the forum updated. Here we go! First is an A-Wing inspired by Amy Rose. The miniature was washed with Games Workshop's Badab Black wash to dirty it up and then sealed with Testors Dullcote for durability and a matte finish. A note on the design, the red and white motif is mirrored on the bottom of the ship as well. Second is another A-Wing (it is the fastest rebel dial after all) inspired by the titular character Sonic the Hedgehog. Like the Amy Rose ship, the miniature was washed with Games Workshop's Badab Black to darken and dirty it and then sealed with Testors Dullcote. To reflect the peach color only being on the character's chest I painted the underside completely blue rather than mirroring the design of the top of the ship. Next up is a X-Wing inspired by Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic's chief rival. Again, the miniature was washed with Games Workshop's Badab Black to darken and dirty the ship before being sealed with Testors Dullcote; the effect is slight due to the dark scheme. I selected the X-Wing for Shadow as I felt it better represented the character as Shadow is the quintessential all-rounder combining strength, agility, and durability. The red stripes on the fuselage and s-foils are a nod to Shadow's striped quills while the faint red stripes on the cannons and engines are to represent his arms and legs respectively. Further cannon and engine detail is for the shoes and gloves with the remaining markings being the red cockpit for his eyes and the white nose for the white on his chest. The final touch was painting the astromech green as Shadow is never without his green Chaos Emerald. I've just started on a repaint of the HWK-290 and I have plans for a B-Wing, Y-Wing, YT-1300, and another X-Wing; any guesses on what each one will represent? AS for the HWK-290, here it is after the first coat of the base coat; makes it pretty obvious who this will be. So what do you guys think?
  25. Bjorn Rockfist said: I want to see your Knuckles and Tails…..as well as Shadow! Great job btw! I've got plans for them and though Knuckles and Tails will have to wait a while I've got Shadow in progress right now. I'll be sure to update when he is done.
×
×
  • Create New...