Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About jscott991

  • Rank

Contact Methods

  • AIM
  • MSN
  • Website URL
  • ICQ
  • Yahoo
  • Skype

Profile Information

  • Location
    , Virginia, United States

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Mel's 1/7000 Nebulas, Arquitens, etc. really show how amazing the Armada models could have been.
  2. I've had this problem with FUD for years and been told "it's your paint." The truth is that FUD has a residue that, I think, can't be washed off easily. The solution for me has either been intense sunlight or stripping the paint and trying again.
  3. Thanks for the tip. Just a quick question, though. By mixing paint and water, aren't you just creating a wash? Isn't that what nuln oil (GW's black wash) already is -- thinned out paint?
  4. I've looked very closely at this kit on shapeways and I have to ask, are the turrets missing the barrels? They look like the broken versions of the turrets that appeared in portions of ESB and not the versions with the barrels that are in ANH and Rogue One. This is an example of both broken and unbroken ISD1 turrets.
  5. Thanks! Just an update, my attempt to strip the Praetor produced a strange result. It only stripped some of the paint, and none of the primer (I guess Testor's primer comes off easier with Totally Awesome than Tamiya) However, the ship now looks pretty good. I will post pictures if I decide not to go back and try shading and highlighting again. I think I can live with it. I would love to somehow lighten those two panels on the Vexatus. I love that ship but I don't want to have to strip it so I might just stick with what I've done.
  6. Thanks for the tips! I've also found that a dollar store product called Awesome (or Simply Awesome) works very well for stripping in a very easy way. I actually have to paint indoors during the winter (except for the spray priming, which I tend to try to get in during these rare but increasingly common 60 degree F days we keep having).
  7. I can't highlight very well at all -- at least not for ships. My attempts to have a highlight step for these ships result in mismatched panels and covered up groove lines. So I need the wash as the last step. I will try a gloss coating next time too. I'm really stunned at the painting I see from some people, which makes it seem like getting those panel lines filled in is very easy. If anyone has any tips on how to fix the Praetor without stripping, I'd love to hear them. I think it's a lost cause. The lines under some of the highlighted areas are already filled in completely so putting more paint on there is probably a bad idea.
  8. That is a tip I'd never heard. I will try that! I'm using Nuln Oil in about a 50/50 mix with matt medium, so I'm trying to thin the wash a lot (much more and it comes out too grey to really show the paneling). Someone elsewhere suggested that I wasn't using a large enough brush (I'm basically using the same brush on every ship) for something as big at the Praetor. I'm not relishing stripping that Praetor.
  9. And the biggest failure, but an awesome ship. This is the Praetor Battlecruiser from Ferlin Pomfrett. I'd love some advice on how to apply a wash to a ship this size. Basically, all I want to do is fill in the lines and shadow around the turrets and ridges. It smears quite a big on the smoother part of the ships, and rehighlighting is a disaster. As well as some parts of the ship turned out, I am very tempted to strip it and start again.
  10. Here is the first big "failure," the Vexatus Imperial light cruiser from Ferlin Pomfrett. The paint job was perfect except for two panels in the front, center. I tried to re-highlight them and then re-wash them but it failed.
  11. I've been buying miniatures from Shapeways (particularly Mel's) for years but I've never really painted them. I thought I would give it a try after being semi-successful at painting Imperial Assault minis. The results have been very mixed. Basically my technique is to prime the ships, paint in engine glow, and then put a wash over them to bring out the details in the paneling. This works amazing for the most part. But when there is smudging or too much wash, I simply don't know how to fix it. And on the big ship that I tried (the Praetor from Ferlin Pomfrett), it was a bigger failure. I'll post pictures of each ship set. I've painted two 1/7000 Vindicators from Mel, two 1/7000 Arquitens from Mel, one 1/7000 Nebulon-B from Mel, one 1/7000 Dreadnought from Mel, one Vexatus from Ferlin, and one Praetor from Ferlin. To start, here are the Vindicators. One of them is excellent, but one features the panel smudging and imperfect correct I referred to.
  12. Here is the sum total of all my painting efforts. It's mostly stormtroopers. I definitely petered out and didn't finish all my sets (I have jump troopers, assassin droids, sand people, etc. left unpainted). I really loved painting most of these. Stormtroopers are quite frustrating.
  13. I do use Nuln oil and I always cut it almost 50/50 with a matt medium. With Star Destroyers (or their ilk), the problem with dabbing the excess off is that the towel frequently pulls the wash out of the cracks, which is what I'm trying to fill in. I might be using the wrong brush (too small) or I might just need more practice at being precise. My Vindicator is like 95% perfect. I was so thrilled with it, except for one panel that I kept making worse by trying to fix it (repainting, then re-washing, then re-painting, etc.).
  • Create New...