Jump to content

Julia

Members
  • Content Count

    9,332
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by Julia


  1. From AH rulebook, pag 16:

    Important: When adding up items before discarding
    them, count all Common Items, Unique Items, and
    Spells. In addition, the Deputy’s Revolver and the Patrol
    Wagon both count as items. Allies, Skills, and other
    cards do not count towards this total.


  2. Depends on what you're searching for, basically. Probably a card expansion is the best one to widen your game, just to test the knowledge of the basis, and then add a board (my suggestion: go with Dunwich). Anyway, Tibs pointed out, in a similar thread, a couple of interesting articles about the game and its expansions, maybe reading them could help you:


    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/41787/the-complete-arkham-horror


    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/42411/arkham-horror-a-geeklist-game-review


    the first link is to have a general idea of each expansion, the second one goes deeper. And deeper. And deeper. But it's great


  3. LeBlanc13 said:

    Ebay usually jacks up the price a bit....especially when the game is either out of print or waiting for a reprint from the production company.

    very true... but fortunately not always happens. I found quotations aorund 50 $ for a game still sealed. Dracula seems to be not too difficult to find at quite reasonable prices


  4. Tibs said:

    It was an April Fool's Day joke. The first of the month to me is sadly only known as "Arkham Report Day" so I didn't even realize it was April Fool's until I sat down at the computer. So I conjured up some fake Lurker stuff (I think I faked the rumor names pretty well) and said nothing more of it.

    kroen was in there for all the recent forum users, and MillMaster is known to all the truly Old Ones from the earliest forum iteration. Figured you guys would appreciate those ;)

    brilliant indeed, dear friend!


  5. Dam said:

    I recall Tibs asking for info (names mostly I think) so he could update the report card. As for the games, I'd put my 2c on playtesters.

    EDIT: Hehe, looks like the Lurker stuff has vanished gui%C3%B1o.gif . IIRC the Mythos Busters correctly, the names were MillMaster (I name familiar from the olden days of the old, old forums if I'm not mistaken) and, sadly, kroen, only user more annoying than Avi lengua.gif .

    I saw they disappeared. No problems with Tibs knowing and updateing the sheet, my doubts were related to the results. Even if the results arrived from playtesting, it didn't make to me much sense. Everything's clear, thx Dam


  6. le_renard said:

    That's the paragraph I quoted...
    So maybe there's something I didn't understand properly and missed in the previous posts.
    If it's the case, I'm sorry...

    Avi, Tibs, Athenor, Brine and all the others weren't talking about the basic Rift mechanics in IH, nor about the basic Dunwich Horror mechanics in DH, but discussing about the possibility that something happening in Innsmouth also has influences on what's going on in Dunwich. I.e.: both boards (Dunwich and Innsmouth) in play. Question: when a monster in Innsmouth enters a vortex, do I have to add an DOR track token AND a Dunwich Horror token?

    Tibs said that vortexes in Dunwich work only with the Dunwich Horror track, and vortexes in Innsmouth do work only with the DOR track, thus no cumulative effect


  7. Avi_dreader said:

    Julia said:

     

    Avi_dreader said:

     

    I have no idea.  I don't listen to much contemporary music (I just checked out about a hundred something CDs last year so I would have some idea of what the hell practically everyone else was talking about ;'D but that's way too much detail for me).

     

     

    happy.gif Good point Avi; so, why not some good swing / jazz / roaming 20's music for AH?

     

     

    Because it's totally antithetical to the mood of the game (and the creator of the original source material it's based on).  The closest I'd go to 20s music would be blues, and only if they were *extremely* old (preferably with static in the recordings), gloomy, and depressing :')

    If I were to use swing and jazz, I might as well play Frank Sinatra's Downtown whenever people land on the streets there ;'D

    Avi_dreader said:

    Because it's totally antithetical to the mood of the game (and the creator of the original source material it's based on).  The closest I'd go to 20s music would be blues, and only if they were *extremely* old (preferably with static in the recordings), gloomy, and depressing :')

    If I were to use swing and jazz, I might as well play Frank Sinatra's Downtown whenever people land on the streets there ;'D

    Sounds like an Ally McBeal scene ::lol::

    Well, depends on what you want to stress. If the oppressive mood is what you're searching for, then ok, gloomy and depressing blues should be fine. In case you prefer to recreate a "normal day" in a city in the 20s, you can have even something different (but definitely not Sinatra ::lol::)


  8. Avi_dreader said:

    I have no idea.  I don't listen to much contemporary music (I just checked out about a hundred something CDs last year so I would have some idea of what the hell practically everyone else was talking about ;'D but that's way too much detail for me).

    happy.gif Good point Avi; so, why not some good swing / jazz / roaming 20's music for AH?


  9. Don't know if this might help, but... at least, in the Upcoming section of this site, a reprint seems to have been scheduled, even if there is no fixed date for it, yet. Just a matter of patience, I suppose

    Otherwise, you can find easily a copy of the previous edition on e-bay (I just checked and was snowed under with results)


  10. JerusalemJones said:

    um, I though these were the league two results.

    Don't remember if there was an announcement about them, but there are still there on the support page. Or are you wondering why results you sent in were not updated to the list; that I could understand.

    The results on the site were updated for the last time on June, the 25th. The deadline was fixed for July, the 31st. In June, only few groups had been able to complete all 10 scenarios. I sent to JeR results for all scenarios for my group at the beginning of July (so largely before the deadline was missed, but after the June update), and they've never been uploaded. And I don't think I was the only one to send results after June, the 25th.


  11. Red Bart said:

     After yesterdays game, I have a couple of questions about the final battle against the GOO.

    1) Do spells that last an entire combat also last the entire combat with the GOO, or do they need to be re-cast every upkeep phase?

    2) When playing with multiple boards, the rules state that you should treat the number of players as 1 less for each extension board over 1. So when playing with 4 players and all 3 extension boards, the outskirts limit, the maximum open gates on the board, etc. are treated as if it was a 2 player game. But is this also applicable for the damage that needs to be done to the GOO to defeat him if he awakens? So normally with 4 players a GOO is defeated when damage is caused equal to maximum number of doom tokens times 4. But does this change to maximum number of doom tokens times 2 if all three extension boards are used?

    This is what should happen:

    1) Spells need to be re-cast at the beginning of each new round of combat, thus in the upkeep phase

    2) The reduction factor for multiple boards applies to everything but the number of successes needed to remove doom tokens during final battles. So, 4 players imply 4 successess for each doomer to be removed


  12. jhaelen said:

    Writing two lines doesn't take long. But getting those two lines approved for an official announcement of any kind can take months (at least that's how it was in my old company...).

     

    I see what you mean, and I know it too. But nevertheless, I feel unease with this kind of behaviour. When you work with people, you have to know how to deal with them. If you are quick to announce your glory, then you should also be quick in giving explanations, and ready to receive a negative feedback if something goes wrong. In a civil world, dialogue should always be welcome.


  13. Avi_dreader said:

    Oh, if any of you find these scenarios too hard, send me a private message and I'll provide you a strategy for taking it on.  Some of them will operate kind of like puzzles, so I hope you try to solve them first :') or to just ram your way through them by brute force.

    This could help *really* a lot to understand the game. I think I'll ask you anyway, even if I'll be able to beat the scenario :-)
    But first... let's play! It's friday my friend ::laughing::


  14. Otherwise... shouldn't be enough having a "custom herald" photobucket where final versions are posted?

    Anyway... I'm afraid I do not really get the point you touched. Why should be impossible to have a thread with final versions? As they're posted on this thread, shouldn't they be posted also on a different thread?

    But yeah, having a dedicated section on Arkhamwiki would be great!


  15. Avi_dreader said:

    Julia said:

     

    Avi_dreader said:

     

    Oh Julia...  You really ought to have tried playing against *my* Black Goat of the Woods.  You'd find that all of a sudden the expansion was fun ;') maybe.

     

     

    I've seen it! And printed it! So please do not change EVEN this herald ::laughing::
    Jokes aside, it's by far better than the original one. It's the corruption mechanic that makes me dislike the expansion. Don't know, I love tough games with increasing difficulties, but penalizing good characters... it's not my game!

    Unless something changes. I mean, in the base game, if you are cursed, you can be blessed to remove this status. So there is a way to get rid of something nasty. In case you're corrupted, you can get rid of the corruption only by closing a gate with the matching dimensional symbol. Which is not that simple, simply because the gate you need might not be in play at all. So, bad luck cannot be avoided with a good strategy unless you're playing with Norman Withers.

    And yes, bad luck can always force to game towards an unexpected direction (like in the game against your Creature in the clouds I had written about, a long time ago), but everytime something nasty happens, you have a new problem to deal with, and I think it's quite fun. With corruptions, most of the times you have to wait for something to happen, which is quite frustrating

     

     

    Well, here's a little trick if you want to master the corruption deck.  For the green cards, memorize the gate symbols of the worst corruptions (not hard, cross and slash— the easiest and hardest Gate, Dreamlands and R'lyeh).  And don't seal those gates if they pop open (because you might need them for later). That way if you get Creeping Doom, or Downward Spiral, you can get rid of it :')  Don't forget to buy a Naacal Key.

    As for the other green corruption cards, many of them can be quite beneficial.

     

    Avi_dreader said:

    Well, here's a little trick if you want to master the corruption deck.  For the green cards, memorize the gate symbols of the worst corruptions (not hard, cross and slash— the easiest and hardest Gate, Dreamlands and R'lyeh).  And don't seal those gates if they pop open (because you might need them for later). That way if you get Creeping Doom, or Downward Spiral, you can get rid of it :')  Don't forget to buy a Naacal Key.

    Thanks for the hint, Avi. Haven't noticed it yet, but I rarely play with BGotW


  16. I've surfed through these pages quite often recently (curious not only to see some custom creations, but also curious to see corrections about rules and wording, I think they've given me a better understanding of game mechanics) but... it's a very difficult thread to skim if you search for some material. too long, and the risk of skipping some good infos is very high.

    So my question: would you mind opening a thread to post only final versions of heralds?
    (or many different threads, one for each author, or thematic threads or whatelse)

    Like a huge archive of good stuff to use! Could be a great help for someone searching for new materials


  17. Avi_dreader said:

    Oh Julia...  You really ought to have tried playing against *my* Black Goat of the Woods.  You'd find that all of a sudden the expansion was fun ;') maybe.

    I've seen it! And printed it! So please do not change EVEN this herald ::laughing::
    Jokes aside, it's by far better than the original one. It's the corruption mechanic that makes me dislike the expansion. Don't know, I love tough games with increasing difficulties, but penalizing good characters... it's not my game!

    Unless something changes. I mean, in the base game, if you are cursed, you can be blessed to remove this status. So there is a way to get rid of something nasty. In case you're corrupted, you can get rid of the corruption only by closing a gate with the matching dimensional symbol. Which is not that simple, simply because the gate you need might not be in play at all. So, bad luck cannot be avoided with a good strategy unless you're playing with Norman Withers.

    And yes, bad luck can always force to game towards an unexpected direction (like in the game against your Creature in the clouds I had written about, a long time ago), but everytime something nasty happens, you have a new problem to deal with, and I think it's quite fun. With corruptions, most of the times you have to wait for something to happen, which is quite frustrating

×
×
  • Create New...