All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Good stuff this. I agree that it is functionally valuable to the player, and as you said is a reinforcer. The reinforcer need not be paired with a certain type of behavior it can simply have an antecedent in the form of the end of the session. GM ends the session, the bell rings, the subject experiences anticipation. This is the functional heart of hobby's dark underbelly, the industrial experience point complex. See my thing is that I feel like the mechanical aspects of play are just one part of playing these games, and if behavior toward XP gain and progression becomes maladaptive and/or disproportionately the focus of the whole activity, it needs to be addressed. Failure to do so out of a sense of keeping it casual and letting the beer & pretzels flow or seeing it as a constitutional right seems to lead to things like people going into sulk spirals because XP was not awarded exactly the same. The driving force behind this is Progression. How did Luke learn to be a Jedi? Well at some point his abilities did indeed progress. We are given a glimpse at some of this in training sessions with Yoda, also he does a few things that would have been learning experiences. Progression of a character's abilities is something that can make a character more interesting or less interesting. When a character walks through every challenge and is not threatened by anything the character has been rendered narratively inert. Any character can reach this state if progression is not tethered to the story and circumstances of the character. If Luke would have shown up in RotJ and was pulling Star Destroyers out of the sky while blaster cannon rounds bounced off of him the movie and franchise would have been ruined. Might have been cool for superman fans and cartoon lovers, but it would not be Star Wars. It's not just Star Wars that functions this way either, if you give John Wick laser eyes and flight powers you do the same thing. These are exaggerated examples, but there are grades of overdoing it even within the range of the what is close to the normal range of power for the character in the context of the setting and story. Do people actually think about progression in this way? I would say no. Progression is always seen as only a positive thing; to some people it is **** near the only reason they play. XP is the fuel that feeds it, so getting your XP is absolutely essential if you are gonna get your progression. To be denied it is to deny the fun. Only what if XP and Progression are actually not necessary for every session of the game? What if you could advance as it makes sense for the character's story and context in the setting? What if that progression seemed largely unseen and seamless instead of being the build-a-bear minigame used to close each session? Probably then players would have other priorities and not get petulant over XP. Maybe feel like other things were more important on the whole.
  3. "If" they do a card pack I think it would just be new & existing upgrade cards to make some of the less used ships better, maybe new titles or configurations - reasoning being that putting cardboard bases in for new pilots will cost too much
  4. Those three are some pretty weak examples. Kanan was only a Padawan before Order 66, and even after being in hiding and not using a lightsaber for 14 years, he's able to immediately stand his ground against several stormtroopers with little apparent difficulty. Kanan improves over Season 1, but there's nothing to really suggest that he had grown rusty from when he'd been a Padawan during the Clone Wars. Luke in TLJ had actually cut himself off from the Force. And yet despite this, as soon as he reconnects to it, he's shown destroying the hut Rey is talking to Kylo in (Luke's biggest TK showing on screen), defeating Rey in a fight (until she escalates the encounter by pulling out a lightsaber), and projecting himself across the galaxy (a feat Kylo felt was pretty much impossible). Ben Kenobi may have been in hiding for 19 years, but he spent that time growing in the Force, learning from Qui-Gon how to become one with it. Vader taunted Ben and called him weak, sure, but that doesn't mean Ben's powers have lessened since the Clone Wars. Perhaps Vader just feels he is far more powerful than Ben at this point. If Ben were truly so weak, he wouldn't have three-shot Maul, and he wouldn't have stonewalled Vader for as long as he did.
  5. You will finish on 9 honor: Attempt to draw, realize you need to reshuffle, lose 5 honor and reshuffle (down to 5), resolve “gain 4 and draw 1 card” simultaneously (the effect checks your honor total when resolving). [Tyler Parrott, Feb 15 2019]
  6. If I have 10 honor, 0 cards in deck and play Prayers to Ebisu, do I finish on 5 or 9 honor?
  7. Be that as it may, it's simply not a fair comparison to even make. Luke grew up having pretty much never heard of the Jedi, with no clue what they were capable of. So when he started trying to grow as a Force user, he had pretty much foundation to build on until he met Yoda. And yet despite this, he still figured out Move and Enhance in his own, regularly using telekinesis, physical augmentation, and blaster bolt deflection during the Star Wars comics set between IV and V. Rey grew up hearing about the myths and legends of Luke Skywalker and all his amazing abilities. So naturally, as soon as she realizes she has the Force too, she tries do what she's heard of Luke doing in the myths. Let's face it, if you suddenly found out that you could use the Force, the very first thing you would try would probably be telekinesis or a mind trick, too. There's already existing precedent for Force Sensitives in both Legends and Canon to develop these abilities with no formal training. If anything, Jedi training is more about giving the Jedi a moral code to follow when using these abilities, rather than just teaching the powers themselves. Luke also grew up with a relatively comfortable life, with Ben protecting the Lars homestead. Naturally, he isn't much of a fighter. But put him in a cockpit, and he's one of the best pilots in the galaxy, with "no formal training." Just a bit of practice in a beat-up airspeeder. Rey grew up relatively independent on Jakku, forced to fight for her survival against scavengers and other dangers of the desert. So while many people bring up Kylo "being trained since childhood," Rey herself has also been taught self preservation since childhood. I'd even argue fighting for your life on a regular basis is an even stronger foundation for combat training than cozy, leisurely ceremonial combat in a temple. And while sure, she grew up using a staff, not a lightsaber, the fundamentals of melee combat carry over from one to the other. Distance, footwork, and timing are universal to all melee weapons. And thanks to the omnidirectional cutting blade of a lightsaber, they're considerably easier to learn than an actual sword, which requires extensive training to deliver strikes with the proper edge alignment. So yes, while a lot of people are quick to draw comparisons between Luke and Rey, and use that as an argument for why Rey is "overpowered" or "poorly written," it's simply not a valid comparison to make. The two are vastly different characters, with vastly different upbringings, and very different circumstances in their own movies. Rey started as a badass, ignoring the call to adventure, while Luke started as a novice, eager to take up the call to adventure, but unprepared for what it would bring.
  8. I have two and maybe 3 of everything.
  9. Garven, Wedge, Thane, and Porkins with Chopper and Elusive. 2pt bid. Chopper is not legal in Hyperspace, but this combo gives him unlimited regen whilst being able to use his pilot ability to be the 'most manoeuvrable' ship in the Faction. Stress-free (50% of the time with an action) k-turn and Tallon rolls are amazing. Garven works well with Porkins, being the same Initiative.
  10. Thanks heaps Tom for the ton of work on this - now can prep for my group after our current game. Much appreciated!
  11. Today
  12. So Yajinden is a girl now? I can't see why they'd use the O5R art for a female Shugenja otherwise.
  13. Unless they are mutually exclusive, effects resolve simultaneously. Therefore, you would need to reshuffle your deck and lose 5 honor before resolving the effect of Prayers to Ebisu (to draw 1 card) and would lose the game. [Tyler Parrott, Feb 13 2019]
  14. I have 4 honor, and no cards left in conflict deck. If I play Prayers to Ebisu, do I gain the 4 honor before losing 5 honor for the reshuffle?
  15. Another question: Silhouette the Monk/Bard attacks with 2 one-handed Meelee weapons, roll an X. She has the harmony on Aria of War "If a hero within 3 spaces of you performs an attack his attacks gains +1 damage". Does she gets the +1 for the X damage - is it 3 or 4 after all?
  16. 7472 pockets his flask and stands, offering the colonel a tired salute. "I've served in a few already. I don't see how one more could hurt." He checks to make sure that he still has all his equipment with him.
  17. Kanan Jarrus in Rebels, Luke Skywalker in TLJ, Obi-Wan Kenobi in An New Hope (Your powers are weak, old man) are three examples of this in the movies and TV.
  18. Thanks so much for putting this together. I'll be running a game using these rules in a fortnight. Couldnt do it without all the hard work that you have put in
  19. Flew this list two tourneys here in Adelaide, fun and strong if flown well, went 4-0 in a small 9 man tourney and 2-2 at the Hyperspace Trial the week after. Ashoka Tano w Delta 7B Sinker 2x 142nd Battalion Pilot 200pts Flown in formation the Arcs are great at shooting but they do die fast if you misjudged ranges. Ashoka is a pest and can close out games after the Arcs hammer the opposing list.
  20. Your squad sounds really awesome. Mind sharing the list?
  21. Imma hold you to that. And trust me, I didn’t take it personally. I just want to make sure people understand why we got to the disparity - we (the organizers) learned some lessons this season we tried to apply to the elimination phase. As I said before, I’m excited to see how things change as the factions get more units. Sabine and Taun Tauns are going to change Rebels significantly I feel.
  22. Is that a novel? OK so the only way this could possibly make any sense would be if the Jedi are just spending massive amounts of time doing other things besides learning about the Force and meditating or whatever. Their skills atrophy as they start doing other things. But this would mean that Force ability requires constant maintenance. That if you were a Jedi and somehow had to do other things you would lose your ability to use the Force. I don't see anything in the movies that seems to indicate that this is the case. This sounds like real mental gymnastics to try and justify the fact that George didn't figure out a better way to have Jedi in proximity with Palpatine and get beat by him without resorting to Jedi Weak + Palpatine Invisible.
  23. started my own game. If anyone is interested, feel free to contact me!
  24. started a game of my own, if anyone is interested, feel free to apply!
  25. Ah got it. I see what you mean now. I think you are right that this is an old school way. I'm very partial to old school principles such as GM authority, Description as a means of doing things instead of just making a check, etc. I think there is a difference though between Players using the rules against you and trying to forecast vs. you giving them a chance to contribute to narrative control a little bit. I did have some instances where a player went a bit too far with the description at times and I had to reign it in because instead of focusing on his character, he tended to want to project the effects onto adversaries. All PC boner stuff like "I punch him and he's terrified of me," or "a pillar falls on their head and kills them." This was with Advantage though. With threat I guess it can be the same with Players trying to lowball the interpretation. "Two threat oh that's bad I guess my character feels bad for eating that extra taco at lunch." or something else that is lame. With good players you don't get this though because they understand that complications and setbacks are usually pretty interesting. But based on your explanation I imagine they would not really be able to spend their threat because a lot of it would seem like it was too external for their sense of proper player narrative control.
  26. Hi! I’m thinking of running a game(i am open to passing the gm role to another person though, if anyone wishes to gm). This game will be set pre Clone Wars and revolves around initiates earning their way to padawanhood and maybe even knighthood. The campaign will start with the PCs, all jedi initiates being stranded on a planet after their ship was attacked by pirates and their guardians defeated/killed. The sole jedi master who was on the ship with them has been kidnapped by the pirates and it’s now up to these initiates to survive and save the master. This campaign is meant to let players explore how it is like to be a peacekeeper in the galaxy, having the chance to be sent on missions with their master(NPCs. The masters will all select one padawan PC, with the players being able to indicate who they wish to be their master, though in the end, it will be decided by the gm), and exploring the galaxy as a padawan. Eventually, if the campaign lasts long enough and the players wish to, the padawans can go through the jedi trials to reach knighthood, where more dangerous and new missions will be assigned. I’m currently looking for about 5-8 players. Character creation is standard, using FAD classes and specs(since we’re all jedi). The universal padawan spec will be given for free. They will all have training lightsabers for now, and I’ll allow 2 basic force skills to be taken for free. As for armour and other equipment, I’ll look for an armour similar to initiate clothing and any other gear can be discussed. I hope this campaign interests you!
  27. Please understand, I am in no way blaming you or the other organizers of IL in any way. I think you guys run a great and fun tournament! But as far as numbers go, we’ll see how other tournaments are when Bossk and Sabine finally hit the shelves and we’ll see how the IL finishes. Also as I mentioned in my first post, it’s not just one big thing that gives Imperials an advantage. It’s an accumulation of many small tiny advantages that culminate into a bigger advantage. Tournaments like LVO didn’t have the current advantages that Imperials now enjoy (Bossk & the Occupier not to mention the Deathtroopers). Invader League has the distinction of being able to play with almost every new unit before they even hit the shelves and I’m pretty sure it’s just an indication of things to come irl. But will you (that’s plural - not just you 😁) continue to excuse these types of results when they show the same poor showing for Rebels in other future tournaments? Also don’t get me wrong, I love Legion and I think it’s a great game, but it currently has problems and if FF goes the X-Wing 1.0 way of fixing things, that problem will only get waaaaay worse. The X-Wing 1.0 way of fixing things is to come out with a more powerful unit on the opposite side to equal things out and that just unbalanced things further, because then you need to play that specific unit in order to have balance. As it is the Imperials need to play specific units to have their advantages, but the unfortunate thing is that one of those units happens to be a corps unit (Stormtrooper DLTs). Time will tell if I’m just a crackpot, or a real forward thinker.🤪😳😁
  1. Load more activity