All Activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Past hour
  2. The smartest thing for them to do would be to sell the two types together - say 100 sleeve sets, with 50 of each kind. Logistically it may require a shift in how they make them, but it could be worth it.
  3. Interesting situation! I can completely understand that you made this for your group - and that the needs of your group, and the needs of beginning and competitive players in general, are diverging. I come from the open source software industry, and I think you could consider applying some of the same ideals to your project. First, how do you feel about the "ownership" of what exists so far in your guide? There is a whole spectrum from "normal" copyright, to very open Creative Commons licensing options https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/ where others can do pretty much whatever they like with your work. I think your first step needs to be to decide how much you want to "own" the guide going forward. For example, would it be OK for others to copy and improve your book? Would it be OK for them to use your book for commercial purposes, or do you want to allow sharing but disallow commercial use? Personally, I'd love to see you pick a very permissive "license" - I think it makes contributions and interesting new uses the most likely! There are some improvements my son and I would like to make, if your sharing arrangement permitted it: Linking everything to everything - every time a given card is mentioned, I'd love it to be a link I can click/touch to look up the details of the card or rule that is mentioned. Addition of the Wave 12 ships and cards More "categorization" - for example, I'd love to see a list of jousting Rebel ships, or a list of upgrade cards and pilots that work well with stress Second, once you decide how others may build on what you've started, then you need some way of actually sharing your work. In the world of software, this almost always happens via Github (here are many examples https://github.com/explore - I work for this company https://github.com/mashape and we share lots of our software with the open source community). I've been thinking about and exploring how you might best share your content, and while Github isn't built specifically for sharing written work, it can be made to work well, and I'd probably suggest using Github (here are some Google search results on this topic github for collaborative writing). By sharing on Github, you'd enable things like: You could "fork" the book, then start making the fork better for your group, without concern for the folks that _aren't_ in your group (because they'd have the pre-fork book too!) Others could fork the book to make their own variants Contributors could make "pull requests" to submit improvements to the book I'm not sure that Github is the perfect solution here, and really, I'm not even sure that facilitating contributions to the book is something you are interested in, so please take all I write here as just ideas to consider! Let me know if I can help with anything - Thanks, Cooper
  4. No worries man, take care of what you need to take care of. Real life always comes first
  5. I imagine part of the problem is FFG making do with what they are given by LFL, also. Since LFL has to approve content out of FFG, they may have a say in what is done. It's also a matter of content- what heavy bombers does the Empire have with turrets on them? Also, which faction has the largest concentration of canon fodder fighters that are easily destroyed for the sake of making the heroes look good? Another part of it is design decisions by LFL for the past few waves when Lore didn't provide something for them to do by priority. The TIE Interdictor/Punisher was FFG's attempt at buffing poorly-performing ordnance at the time, and the TIE Aggressor was FFG's gesture to bring turrets to the Empire. We can debate if that's what FFG should have been focusing on at the time for the Imperial Meta.
  6. Listbuilding is undoubtedly a skill. Some people suck at it, others are brilliant, and most are inbetween. And it's also obviously true that the list is partially responsible for the outcome of the match. Depending on skill floor/ceiling and matchup that part can be larger or smaller. Netlisting then means that part of your win is owned to someone else, while making your own list means you managed to pull off the win all by yourself. Some people don't care about this difference, some do. Personally I do care a little bit because I see someone who does well with his own list to be a more complete player than one who netlists. But I think netlisting can first be reduced down to this question: Do you consider listbuilding to be a part of the game? If no then being good at listbuilding still helps you in quickly understanding the list of your opponent, in grasping key aspects and weaknesses. But netlisting is then entirely neutral. If yes then being good at listbuilding is part of the competition and netlisting means that the work of others is presented as your own. Which we generally frown upon. Personally I wished that netlisters would realize or maybe even acknowledge that the work of someone else enabled them to win. But this is of course quite murky - many combinations are obvious and "discovered" by countless people. So in that sense it's not actually about the declaration of dependency on others but more about some humility in victory. Which brings me to the core of the whole discussion: Why do people want to win at X-Wing in the first place? There is not much material benefit in it, so I strongly suspect it is to have fun and maybe to be recognized for skill. If it really is to be recognized for skill then displaying more skill is obviously better than displaying less. Using an OP ship or squad is displaying less skill - that's why Justin Phua was not as well received as previous champs. Using a netlist is also displaying less skill compared to building your own list. That's why we're having this conversation in the first place.
  7. I'm good with the outline we discussed, work has been crazy with the magic pre-release.
  8. True, my friend plays a very strong sabine deck, but cannot quite make the 50% win vs tier 1. I'd like however a unique symbol added on interference to prevent lock, wich is not necessary tier 1, but annoying enough to make some player quit. Chak
  9. To be honest, it might be good to separate into Fencer and Swashbuckler, as two separate specializations?
  10. Correkt
  11. For the record - I blame Krayts for everything at Canadian Nationals. It's your fault.
  12. The star wars universe really bugs me with that. Like, how is life for the average person/soldier? Since apparently all outstanding people are somehow force sensitive, so what is a common rebel/stormtrooper to do in the universe? Is he/she just doomed to die because the Force decided to focus it's attention on Mister Vader Is My Father?
  13. That's what I can't find. Is there a source for that? It sounds reasonable (that they can only use their specific upgrades)
  14. It seems to be made to suffer.
  15. Gotcha! Yeah, I smiled when I saw that talent. Very cool.
  16. The new hit documentary: This Is Assault Gunboat
  1. Load more activity