Flechette Torpedo Speculation

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Mace Windu

Mace Windu

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

So I cant see any other forum posts looking at this particular upgrade, which is surprising since it appears to be the cheapest missile/torpedo printed yet (appears to cost 2).

From counting fuzzy lines of text it appears to have the standard:

"Attack (target lock): Spend your target lock and discard this card to perform this attack."

Additionally the fairly standard stats of 3 attack die and range 2-3

the only other part of the text that I can make out appears to be the number 1.

Additionally there appears to be 3 of this particular upgrade in the Rebel Transport box set as well.

From the Wookiepedia page on the Flechette Torpedoes it states:

The projectiles were loaded with jagged bits of durasteel packed around a core of conventional explosive. The shells would detonate and in effect become a debris field for incoming TIE Defenders, not equipped with particle shields to defend against material objects. Not only did the New Republic forces use them to destroy enemy ships, but to track those TIEs which survived the battle. The escaping fighters actually had debris from the flechette torpedoes in their titanium-reinforced hulls, and this debris contained hundreds of thousands of solid-state transponders triggered by a very specific subspace signal.

This would lead me to believe that it might have some sort of shrapnel effect perhaps?

Or possibly an ongoing target lock on the hit ship for all of your ships?

its hard to speculate when the cost of the upgrade is so low but I would like to hear what anyone else thinks it could be.

Rebel Freedom Fighters: 5 Z95, 4 X-Wing, 4 B-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 2 HWK 290, 1 YT-1300 & 1 YT-2400
Imperial Oppressors: 5 TIE Fighter, 4 TIE Bomber, 4 TIE Interceptor, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 Firespray, 1 Shuttle & 1 VT-49 Decimator

My YouTube Battle Reports

#2 IvlerIin

IvlerIin

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:23 PM

Straining my eyes at the lower half of the text it appears to read:

"After you perform this attack"

"the defender receives 1"

"Stress Token if its Hull Value"

"is "#" or lower"

----

Giving stress makes sense since it was first previewed with the GR-75 Transport. which comes With Slicer Tools which require a target to be "Stressed"

• Engine25 likes this

It's read as "Merlin"... and yes, like Ivlagic...

#3 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:08 PM

The new stuff really hates Interceptors.

• Rakky Wistol, Audio Weasel and BattlePriest like this

#4 RookiePilot

RookiePilot

• Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:34 PM

The new stuff really hates Interceptors.

Oh, it's all going to be fun.  I can't wait to play both sides in Epic battles.  Besides, Interceptors got a bit of a boost from the Aces expansion.  Let's see how it all plays out...

#5 IvlerIin

IvlerIin

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:38 PM

well Flechette Torpedoes might actually be "Anti-Light" or "Small Craft" IF the number is "3" then the only ships naturally unaffected by them are the Large Bases, HWK-290, Y-wings, TIE Bombers.

As far as This weapon goes I think the Squints (Interceptors) will be fine matched up against them. They have a lot of Green on their Dial. 

37 pts for a GR75 + Slicer doesn't leave to much points left over and slicer is an Action and the ship base is PS3. making Slicer only really hurt Ionized + Stressed Interceptors.

anyways back on topic...

I think if what I've read was correct Flechette Torpedoes would be perfect on Y-wings. If the cost is indeed 2pts you can put 1 FT and 1 APT for 8 points. Force stress with FT at range (making your target predictable), close-in and fire APT. Or simply Ions.

I think Flechettes will by a "Nice to Have" for the Rebellion, Like Targeting Computer is for the Empire, since the majority of their craft uses Torpedoes.

Edited by IvlerIin, 12 February 2014 - 03:01 AM.

#6 JaceMoonstrider

JaceMoonstrider

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:18 PM

My first thought was adding to Y-Wings squads with Ion Turrets. They can torpedo targets that are all ready ioned and cause more damage and disruption.

#7 LeoHowler

LeoHowler

• Members
  • 913 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:51 PM

Depending on what they do, I'm likely going to be loading these on B-Wings with Fire Control System. Blue Squadron has a present for ya, Bucketheads. <3

~Remember Alderaan~

Spoiler

#8 IvlerIin

IvlerIin

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:47 AM

I'm pretty confident the lower half is how I made it out to be..

the longer I try to figure out what the blurred number in the text is made me realize that IF it is how i think it is. the "Give Stress" part of the card does not need the attack to even cause damage to work. It's only bound by the "Hull value # or lower" making this potentially one of the best "Points Filler" options in combination with Ion or you know your opponent is lacking on GRN-Maneuvers.

#9 Mace Windu

Mace Windu

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:35 AM

I'm pretty confident the lower half is how I made it out to be..

the longer I try to figure out what the blurred number in the text is made me realize that IF it is how i think it is. the "Give Stress" part of the card does not need the attack to even cause damage to work. It's only bound by the "Hull value # or lower" making this potentially one of the best "Points Filler" options in combination with Ion or you know your opponent is lacking on GRN-Maneuvers.

im pretty sure you are right, the text does look to be as you thought, the next question is how best to use it? It certianly seems like good filler for 2 points as well as being good at range 3 to ensure the defender doesnt get additional defense dice
Rebel Freedom Fighters: 5 Z95, 4 X-Wing, 4 B-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 2 HWK 290, 1 YT-1300 & 1 YT-2400
Imperial Oppressors: 5 TIE Fighter, 4 TIE Bomber, 4 TIE Interceptor, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 Firespray, 1 Shuttle & 1 VT-49 Decimator

My YouTube Battle Reports

#10 Weidekuh

Weidekuh

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:54 AM

That's one hell of a torpedo to fire at B-Wings. They don't have many green options and only have 3 hull to begin with and with only 1 evade die, you will usually hit.

#11 Bilisknir

Bilisknir

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:11 AM

I wonder if it means remaining hull points or starting hull points?

Bilisknir corrupt ver of Bilskirnir (Old Norse "lightning-crack"). The hall of the god Thor in Norse mythology.

Rebel: 8 X-Wing, 9 A-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 8 B-Wing, 2 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290, 2 GR-75 Transport, 1 Corellian Corvette, 8 Z-95, 4 E-Wing, 2 YT-2400

Imperials: 9 Tie/ln, 10 Tie Int, 5 Tie Bomber, 3 Tie Adv, 2 Firespray-31, 3 Lambda-Class Shuttle, 4 Tie Defender, 4 Tie Phantom, 2 VT-49 Decimator, 1 Imperial Raider (On order)

Scum & Villany: 4 Most Wanted, 4 StarViper, 8 M3-A Interceptor, 2 IG-2000

#12 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:16 AM

I wonder if it means remaining hull points or starting hull points?

Well technically ships never lose hull points. A ship is destroyed when the number of damage cards = hull points. They don't actually lose them, like you would with a HP type system.

Chewie and R5-D8 don't restore hull points, they remove damage cards.
Golden rule of X-Wing: Do what the card says to do, do not do what the card does not say to do.

#13 Danthrax

Danthrax

• Members
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:20 AM

Attack: 3, Range: 2-3. Discard this card and spend your target lock to perform this attack. After performing this attack, the defender receives 1 stress token if the hull value is ’4′ or lower.

That's what it says.

So it won't stress Y-Wings, YT-1300s, Firesprays, TIE Bombers, Lambda Shuttles or huge ships.

#14 MajorJuggler

MajorJuggler

MathWinger

• Members
  • 3,974 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:45 AM

Attack: 3, Range: 2-3. Discard this card and spend your target lock to perform this attack. After performing this attack, the defender receives 1 stress token if the hull value is ’4′ or lower.

That's what it says.

So it won't stress Y-Wings, YT-1300s, Firesprays, TIE Bombers, Lambda Shuttles or huge ships.

Wow. If that's really what it does, then this hard counters PtL Interceptors. You don't even need to hit them, and they will receive a stress token. Assuming they used PtL last round (which is 90% of the time), that means the Interceptor has 2 stress tokens, and therefore can't perform an action next round since it can only get down to 1 stress token after performing a green move.

That's absolutely devastating.

It also means, oddly, that you could get 3 focus on Soontir Fel in one round.

Edited by MajorJuggler, 12 February 2014 - 10:46 AM.

#15 Hexis

Hexis

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

Even if that's accurate, it's still a one time use torpedo.  It's not like you get to use it over and over.

#16 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:56 AM

It is a counter to pretty much anyone with Push the Limit, outside of possibly Jonus, Rhymer, and Tycho. Which, given the complaints about how Push the Limit is overpowered, isn't a bad thing. Yeah, it's particularly devastating on Interceptors, so they are going to have to be a bit more maneuverable.

It gets even more fun once you start chaining them together. A Bomber, Y-wing, or B-wing with 2 of these (at the cost of a standard Proton Torpedo), will be quite annoying. I love it. While it is not constant, the stress at a key time will prove to be devastating. Heck, even with Interceptors, robbing them of PTL for one round could mean a dead Interceptor.

• MajorJuggler likes this

#17 MajorJuggler

MajorJuggler

MathWinger

• Members
  • 3,974 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

Even if that's accurate, it's still a one time use torpedo.  It's not like you get to use it over and over.

True, but you if you shoot it at range 3 on the initial attack, then you set yourself up to potentially finish off an action-less glass cannon next round, or at the minimum remove a Stealth device.

#18 MajorJuggler

MajorJuggler

MathWinger

• Members
  • 3,974 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

It is a counter to pretty much anyone with Push the Limit, outside of possibly Jonus, Rhymer, and Tycho. Which, given the complaints about how Push the Limit is overpowered, isn't a bad thing. Yeah, it's particularly devastating on Interceptors, so they are going to have to be a bit more maneuverable.

It gets even more fun once you start chaining them together. A Bomber, Y-wing, or B-wing with 2 of these (at the cost of a standard Proton Torpedo), will be quite annoying. I love it. While it is not constant, the stress at a key time will prove to be devastating. Heck, even with Interceptors, robbing them of PTL for one round could mean a dead Interceptor.

I like that it gives PtL some more tradeoffs now, and makes that first stress less of a "no brainer". It's also probably going to reinforce my belief that Interceptors and A-wings are overcosted by 1 point, but that's not a big deal. For casual play there's always house rules.  :)

#19 Jehan Menasis

Jehan Menasis

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

Reinforced Hull...

#20 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

An interceptor without actions is a dead interceptor. 

So to follow up a pretty lackluster "upgrade" to the interceptor with Aces... they nerf it back down with rebel transport splicing and dicing them up... now you don't even have to hit an interceptor to make it an overpriced tie fighter?