Photo

New Custom Desgned Unit Cards - Looking For Suggestions!

• Please log in to reply
481 replies to this topic

#21 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:36 AM

Much better placement of the various data!

536RodneySmith said:

I finally had a chance to print one of these out and while they are certainly readable, the print is VERY small. I'm thinking I might enlarge these. The idea is that they help gameplay, and if I'm having to constantly put the cards up to my face, that might not be so good

Especially for me, as I'm far-sighted without my reading glasses. I definitely vote to make them the same size as the DT cards. 

I also agree with KevinBakon's recommendation to lose the horizontal lines in the abilities section. 

Other than those two issues, it looks amazing!  Fix those two issues and I'd say you are set to go!  Looking forward to the finished product!  Thank you for the time and effort, and for implementing the community feedback. 

#22 thejughead

thejughead

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:20 AM

Looks awesome!  I would remove the descriptions of the special abilities and place the page numbers instead.  If you want the full rule ,then have it listed on the back page. Man it looks really awesome.

#23 Guidebot

Guidebot

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:01 AM

Where can I get some Axis ones please?

Ace job, squire.  5/5.

#24 KevinBakon

KevinBakon

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:52 AM

thejughead said:

Looks awesome!  I would remove the descriptions of the special abilities and place the page numbers instead.  If you want the full rule ,then have it listed on the back page. Man it looks really awesome.

Do you mean have it listed on the other side of the card?  That would work, but if the back sides are identical, these cards could be used for random deployment.  Not to be contradictory, but my favorite bit about these cards is that the relevant information is right there in front of me.

#25 Craig in NH

Craig in NH

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

I've got to agree with Mr. Bacon, as I've said on this thread earlier. On these cards the rules are right there, easy to read, no need to go flipping through the rulebook. The number one issue I have with the rulebook is the organization of information. Don't get me wrong, the 'See Page @@' is very helpful, and I'm appreciative. But I'd ALSO like the info to be in more than one place, especially if it would fit, which it would. The fact that you need to flip the pages of the book a MINIMUM of 3 times to get the full picture of each unit is epicly disappointing to me. These cards fix ALL of that, and in a great, easy to read, aesthetically pleasing package.

I think the cards are FANTASTIC just the way they are. Thanks again! And I'd love to take a shot at helping flesh them out, if you need it!

~Craig

#26 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

I've just printed this out onto a 6x4 photo paper, size of the text is perfect, easily readable and I do not have good eyesight.  Layout is spot on to. 

#27 adlerhobby

adlerhobby

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:59 AM

IF you go public with these find a way to add a pay pal donate button - Id like to donate a couple bucks for your effort ,tons of blogs are able to do this and I  would like a way to say thanks that matters ; )

Gordon

#28 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

Think you might be breaking copyright laws if you did that.  O'h and please leave the ability rules where they are, its where you need them everything in one place.

#29 KevinBakon

KevinBakon

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:42 AM

Rodney, I'd be happy to help with the grunt work once you're satisfied with your final design.  

By the way, is there a way to privately message a forum user?

#30 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:51 AM

KevinBakon said:

By the way, is there a way to privately message a forum user?

Yes, but it's rather awkward. I sent you a PM detailing how to do so. 

#31 536RodneySmith

536RodneySmith

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for the kind feedback everyone. I would be moving more quickly, but having been without a computer for a few days, I have some major catching up on other projects, but I've made a few more adjustments today and will continue to make some more and upload them here.  I'm sure not everyone will like every decision I make, but maybe I can assimilate the ideas I like best.

I will upload a PSD eventually as well, and then people can remove descriptions, put flowers all over them, or whatever :)

#32 Psykostevo

Psykostevo

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:16 AM

Awesome card design

#33 536RodneySmith

536RodneySmith

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

This is the latest draft, it's been added to the OP as well.

Basically updated all the original elements and added in a couple more.  I'd say we're just about there now.

You can find the full version here: http://bit.ly/JgGKbA

#34 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

When you do make these, could you please make a separate card for the Bot hunters/ Tank Killers with change in weapon lines, instead of an upgrade +3pts option.

#35 thejughead

thejughead

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

Rock On! Looks great, text is fine for me.

#36 KevinBakon

KevinBakon

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:26 AM

Looks great! Thanks for the hard work. 

#37 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:22 AM

By Jove, I think he's got it!  To the Production Cave Batman!

#38 Dakkon426

Dakkon426

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:21 AM

i would use * instead of S for spray weapons otherwise perfect.

#39 536RodneySmith

536RodneySmith

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:24 AM

Dakkon426 said:

i would use * instead of S for spray weapons otherwise perfect.

Interesting idea.  I guess my only concern is that in future releases they might have other funky effects that also use a symbol, so if I use a letter, it will always be clear (hopefully), what it stands for.

#40 536RodneySmith

536RodneySmith

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

When I started to fill out The Hammers unit I found a few more things that needed tweaking, and also discovered that because of the graphic not having a plain white background, I needed to move the AP somewhere else.  That upper space seems perfect.

So, in the OP is now Version 1.0 of the layout. And the first official unit card: The Hammers. If anyone can see any issues with the rules or can suggest a more succint description, let me know. Keep in mind, I want to include ALL rules details, but I want to do it in the shortest amount of words, while remaining clear to a new player.

More units coming soon. Once I know for sure that this format suits several units types, I'll put the PSD online. No point in doing it now and have several of you put work into filling in unit information, just to have me change the format on you again.

Go here for the full size: http://members.acces...nitCardv1.0.jpg