Control and Force Powers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Milrander

Milrander

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:59 AM

So my uncle and I were discussing force powers and when it came to the topic of the Control talents we came to an impasse.

Two examples are the Control talent for the Move Power which gave the ability of throwing objects to deal damage which doesn't mention spending Force Pips to activate and the Control for Enhance that allows you to preform Force Jump if you spend a Force Pip. The conclusion I came to was that for Control you don't have to spend Force Pips unless it specifically says so.

Move's Control you would spend the Force Pips to activate the Move itself normally then Range and/or Strength like normal but the ability to throw an object and deal damage would just be a passive adaptation of your Move power itself and wouldn't require you to spend any Force Pips to activate it. But in the case of the Force Jump Control that Enhance offers it would require Force Pips to activate.

So I was wondering if anyone knew how this worked exactly because unlike my uncle I'm not on here very often and I could easily be wrong. Thanks!
"How dare you? I've lived on this ship a thousand years and never lost a fight. I'm not about to start today!" ―A decapitated Huyang, to an offending Weequay pirate

#2 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,960 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:44 PM

You would be correct on both counts.

In the case of Move, you'd only need to spend the 1 Force Point to hurl a Silhouette 0 object at a target within Short Range.  In this case, the Control Upgrade simply expands on what you can do with the basic power.  You'd still need to spend additional Force Points if you wanted to activate any Magnitude, Range, or Strength Upgrades you've purchased, but that's it.

Now, for Enhance, the "Force Leap" Control Upgrade effectively overrides the basic power, in that it gives you an alternative option that you can trigger by spending a Force Point.

Same is true for the Sense power, as the Control Upgrade on the right hand side (read surface thoughts) gives you an alternate option when activating the power, so that you could spend your 1 Force Point to either pick up the target's emotions or pick up their surface thoughts.  According to an answer I got from Sam Stewart several months ago, you could spend a second Force Point to also pick up on any living beings within short range, but you couldn't scan the surface thoughts of two individuals at once, at least not without having the Magnitude Upgrade.

• awayputurwpn, Josep Maria and Tear44 like this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#3 Milrander

Milrander

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:39 PM

Okay thank you for the help! My uncle and were pretty sure that's how it was but he is always iffy with Force Powers. I don't know if you've ever met OggDude in real life but he can be stubborn and not listen to me with rules. (Name dropping like any good adventurer)
  • kaosoe likes this
"How dare you? I've lived on this ship a thousand years and never lost a fight. I'm not about to start today!" ―A decapitated Huyang, to an offending Weequay pirate