Photo

Are you more of a casual or hardcore player?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 Kyrios Mirage

Kyrios Mirage

• Members
  • 640 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:54 AM

Casual. I play my favorite ships (Y, Squint, Lambda), and try to make them competitive. I have a -1300, but couldn't tell you the last time I used it...

"Show them that a superior mobile suit has its limits when matched against a superior pilot"

- Char Aznable

#22 cody campbell

cody campbell

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:56 AM

I'd have to say casual. I was getting hardcore before wave 4 (imdaar was the last tourney I played) but I just don't have the time anymor. I might have played a dozen games since then.

#23 Plainsman

Plainsman

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:25 AM

I am a hardcore casual gamer.  I like optimizing my builds, I like trying new tactics.  I ask for and give no quarter.  I play to the best of my abilities and if I forget an ability, I go with it.  I like joining tournaments as it gives me a good variety of builds to play against.

However, I am very casual at the game table.  I celebrate both my opponent's and my good rolls, I boo both our bad rolls.  If playing a new player, I remind him about taking actions.  When in dispute of a rule, we look at the rulebook or if we can't find it, we roll dice or flip coins to see whose interpretation "wins" and then go with that.  I always shake hands with my opponent afterwards and thank him for the game.

I love winning, but I do it clean.  I would rather win than lose, but losing a hard-fought battle is very fun as well.  As long as there are smiles all around the game table, it's a win for me anyway.

This is my take too! (I may not execute it as well as its described here, but its the direction I flow!)
  • oneway likes this
Plainsman :) plainsmanscabin@yahoo.com
Imperials Tie 5, Interceptor 5, Advanced, Bomber 6, Defender 2, Firespray, Shuttle 2, VT49 2, Phantom 5, Decimator 2
Rebels XWing 4, YWing 2, BWing 3, AWing 3, EWing 2, Z95 5, YT1300 2, YT2400 2, HWK290 2, GR75, CR90
S&V IG-2000 2, Scyk 4, Starviper 2, YWing, Z-95 2, Firespray

#24 InstantAequitas

InstantAequitas

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:11 PM

I don't think that the two are mutually exclusive. When I play casual games during league nights I normally try to identify the mistakes that can be made in a tournament setting and focus on eliminating them in the future for myself and my opponent who is normally a friend. Generating an efficient squad for tournaments is normally subject to the trial and error in casual games.

That being said, I am forgiving of missed opportunities in a casual setting but not at tournaments. Flying casual should not be an excuse for flying sloppy.
  • Chris Maes, Spike IT and admat like this
Favorite squad for me currently: #stressbot 5.0
Wedge+predator+R2-D2/ Luke+VI+R5-P9/ Wes+VI+R3-A2

#25 YwingAce

YwingAce

• Members
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:14 PM

the middle. I fly what I want, but I do optimize and not just fly totally inefficient combos etc. 

• admat and Samhamwich like this

It's an Interdictor, not a bloody Punisher!

#26 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

Casually hardcore.

• Plainsman likes this

#27 ObiWonka

ObiWonka

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:58 PM

I am a hardcore casual gamer.  I like optimizing my builds, I like trying new tactics.  I ask for and give no quarter.  I play to the best of my abilities and if I forget an ability, I go with it.  I like joining tournaments as it gives me a good variety of builds to play against.

However, I am very casual at the game table.  I celebrate both my opponent's and my good rolls, I boo both our bad rolls.  If playing a new player, I remind him about taking actions.  When in dispute of a rule, we look at the rulebook or if we can't find it, we roll dice or flip coins to see whose interpretation "wins" and then go with that.  I always shake hands with my opponent afterwards and thank him for the game.

I love winning, but I do it clean.  I would rather win than lose, but losing a hard-fought battle is very fun as well.  As long as there are smiles all around the game table, it's a win for me anyway.

This is pretty close to me as well. I don't know about "optimizing" builds, but I do try to form coherent lists. Upgrades aren't just thrown on willy-nilly. I've also only been to one tournament so far. But I do love trying out new squads. (At aforementioned tournament, I took second with a squad of my own design: something fun that I knew how to fly).

The rest of the above post is just damn good sportsmanship. It's the way we should all approach every game, be it at a "hardcore" or "casual" table. I enjoy every game much, much more (and so do my opponents) when I can congratulate other players on their good fortune and play, as well as laugh off my own bad luck and mistakes.

I lost a game at GenCon to a good opponent whom I was previously undefeated against. At one point, he forgot to roll an additional defense die and when I pointed that out, it gave him the save he needed to keep his guy alive. Would I have won if he didn't? Probably not, but even if I had the victory would not have felt as good as the loss.

• admat and Plainsman like this

Rebel: 4x A-Wing, 4x B-Wing, 2x E-Wing, 2x HWK-290, 4x X-Wing, 2x Y-Wing, 1x YT-1300, 1x YT-2400, 2x Z-95 Headhunter

Imperial: 1x Firespray-31, 1x Lambda Shuttle, 2x TIE Advanced, 2x TIE Bomber, 2x TIE Defender, 6x TIE Fighter, 6x TIE Interceptor, 2x TIE Phantom, 1x VT-49 Decimator

Scum: 2x Aggressor, 1x Firespray-31, 3x M3-A Interceptor, 1x StarViper, 2x Y-Wing, 4x Z-95 Headhunter

Tournament Record: 20-5 (2nd; 2nd; 1st; top 4; top 4)

#28 Filter

Filter

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:01 PM

Casual since I don't get to play much more than twice a month at my local store. People buy the game and never come in to play it =/
  • mazz0 likes this

#29 Hwarangdaem

Hwarangdaem

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

Mostly casual, but when there is a tournament I can easily transition into hardcore mode. Still keeping it casual enough that I don't whine about everything my opponent is doing right or wrong. Reminding them about stuff and having fun playing the game, trying out different builds like Horton w/ torpedoes + Jan Ors..

Also it is mostly 1-2 times a week I play the game. Missions, dogfights, epics, tournaments.. everything goes!

I just want bigger scene here in Helsinki, Finland. Sweden is doing so much better in that regard :P

Edited by Hwarangdaem, 31 August 2014 - 02:53 PM.

#30 mazz0

mazz0

• Members
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:06 PM

Casual all the way! Although I suspect many of us here saying casual would appear hardcore to some people (this is a dedicated forum after all).

#31 Mikael Hasselstein

Mikael Hasselstein

• Members
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

I guess I'm hardcore, though that also seems to imply a cut-throat attitude towards playing, which I definitely don't have. Also, if I were to consider myself really hardcore, I would hope to be better at the game than I am.

So, I'll consider myself hardcore only because I spend a lot of time on it, I've been to a few tournaments and have even won one, and I frequently play down at a couple of the FLGSs.

#32 Jevel

Jevel

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:47 PM

I build/prefect squads every day, but have never yet played in a tournaments. Sooooo I guess I'm a hardcore casual.

Rebels: 5 X-Wings, 2 YT-1300s, 2 Y-Wings, 4 A-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 2 E-Wings, 2 Z-95 Headhunters, 1 HWK-290, 1 GR-75 Medium Transport

Imperials: 7 TIE Fighters, 2 TIE Adv, 5 TIE Interceptors, 3 TIE Bombers, 2 TIE Defenders, 2 TIE Phantoms, 1 Lambda Class Shuttle, 2 Firespray-31 

#33 Vargas79

Vargas79

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:13 PM

I'd have let the guy off who made the mistake in the nationals recently. I also want to win. I'd rather win based on superior skill as opposed to taking advantage of my opponent forgetting to follow a process without fail.
  • DagobahDave, admat and Samhamwich like this

#34 Pygon

Pygon

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:37 PM

I don't try to go hard core tournament style, but I do want to make effective builds.

I'm also very interested in seeing way out interesting effective builds just to see cool combos.

• admat likes this

Core/Wave 1: 4 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 8 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Advanceds; Wave 2: 2 YT-1300s, 3 A-Wings, 2 Firesprays, 3 TIE Interceptors

Wave 3: 3 B-Wings, 3 TIE Bombers, 3 HWK-290s, 2 Lambda Shuttles; Imperial Aces: 2 Royal Guard Interceptors, 2 Elite Interceptors

Huge ships: 1 Tantive IV, 2 Transports, 2 alternate X-Wings; Rebel Aces: 1 prototype A-Wing, 1 Elite B-Wing

Wave 4: 3 E-Wings, 6 Z95s, 3 TIE Defenders, 3 TIE Phantoms; Wave 5: 2 YT-2400s, 2 Decimators

#35 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

Laser Brain

• Members
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:58 PM

I want to try everything at least once. I don't get upset when I lose. I always shake hands after a battle, no matter the outcome. That probably means I'm a casual player.

I do like to play the game often, and put in the effort to organize an X-Wing community in my area. I set up and run tournaments and other special events, so I'm pretty serious when it comes to organization and enabling others to have fun.

• admat likes this

#36 mazz0

mazz0

• Members
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:22 PM

I'd have let the guy off who made the mistake in the nationals recently. I also want to win. I'd rather win based on superior skill as opposed to taking advantage of my opponent forgetting to follow a process without fail.

What's the story here?

#37 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

The Laughing Warrior

• Members
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:50 PM

I am definitely hardcore about being casual...

I did the whole FLGS thing all in the 90's. I was a manager of a popular game store where I ran the miniatures department. I was that guy everybody asked model and hobby questions of.

"What should I get for my army?"

"How do I paint this?"

My company went to cons, and I went with friends to several GW Gamesdays in Baltimore.

All of that was about fifteen years ago.

Now I am back into the miniatures and it is all very cool and fun, because it is no longer a business nor do I have any sort of tournament mentality whatsoever.

Fly Casual...

:)

"There Is No Such Thing As Luck." 😃  BLACK SIX RED SEVEN  😊  "The Only Meta Is Having FUN!" 💀

ALLIANCE: (43) A-WING: 6 B-WING: 6 E-WING: 3 HWK-290: 2 K-WING: 0 X-WING: 7 Y-WING: 7  Z-95: 7 YT-1300: 3 YT-2400: 2

EMPIRE: (39) TIE ADVANCED: 3 TIE BOMBER: 3 TIE DEFENDER: 4 TIE FIGHTER: 12 TIE INTERCEPTOR: 10 TIE PHANTOM: 3 TIE PUNISHER: 0 DECIMATOR: 3 LAMBDA:

SCUM: (43) FIRESPRAY-31: 4 HWK-290: 3 IG-2000: 2 KIHRAXZ: 0 M3-A: 8 STAR VIPER: 4 Y-WING: 7 YT-1300: 1 YV-666: 0 Z-95: 14

#38 Samhamwich

Samhamwich

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:51 PM

Like to optomize my builds but my builds are all about trying out what ships i got since my last game. Means i prefer 150pt games just to try out as many of my new toys as possible.
Relax its only a game

#39 Halliday

Halliday

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:03 PM

My main opponent is my 10 yr old son. 25% of the time I fly something to beat him. 25% of the time I fly something for him to beat me. The other 50% of the time I fly something just for the heck of it.

#40 Breaking The Law

Breaking The Law

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:54 PM

I like building new squads, challenging myself against others, and trying to do well. I enjoy trying new things and excelling at them, in this sense, I am pretty competitive.

But if the competition quits being fun first and foremost, then I won't bother.