Photo

Which Phoenix Lord would you like to see?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:25 PM

Of the information available to us regarding future characters in Conquest, a Phoenix Lord is one of the few things that we can say are going to be in the game with any degree of certainty:

Throughout the War Packs of the Warlord cycle, every faction receives a new warlord, ranging from an Imperial Inquisitor to an Eldar Phoenix Lord, and each of these new champions encourages the exploration of a new style of play.

Since there are only 6 of them to begin with, it shouldn't be too hard to predict which one is going to be a warlord, right? Let me know what direction you think FFG is going to take with this one, or just share your personal preference.

99800104025_AsurmenNEW_01.jpg

The Eldar Believe that Asurmen was the first of the Phoenix Lords. He was the founder of the Shrine of Asur, which has grown into the most widespread of all Aspects - The Dire Avengers.

99800104022_KarandrasNEW_01.jpg

Karandras is one of the Eldar Phoenix Lords. Each Phoenix Lord is the master of one of the Aspect Temples. No one knows where Karandras originally came from, but it is known that he was not the first Exarch of the Striking Scorpions.

99800104021_MauganRaNEW_01.jpg

Phoenix Lord Maugan-Ra, first of the Dark Reapers and Harvester of Souls. Maugan-Ra reaps a high toll of blood from those who oppose the Eldar.

99060104007_BaharrothNEW_01.jpg

Baharroth is believed to be the finest pupil of Asurmen. He was the winged Phoenix and founder of the Swooping Hawk Aspect.

99060104006_JainZarNEW_01.jpg

Jain Zar is the Phoenix Lord of the Howling Banshee Aspect warriors. She is the most swift and ferocious of the Phoenix Lords. Jain Zar has travelled widely across the webway, and so it is that the Howling Banshees can be found on all but the remotest craftworld.

99060104029_FueganNEW_01.jpg

Fuegan is the founder of the Fire Dragon Shrine, teaching the art of death through flame and fire. Like all Phoenix Lords Fuegan has been re-born many times giving him thousands of years of experience.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH, 03 August 2014 - 08:55 PM.

• Wytefang and Zebadiah like this

It's not easy being green.

#2 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:33 PM

Karandras.

#3 CommissarFeesh

CommissarFeesh

• Members
  • 927 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:48 AM

I wanna see Maugan-Ra, with Death Reapers in his squad.

Because Death Reapers.

#4 Zebadiah

Zebadiah

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:16 AM

They will probably do Asurmen, but I like Fuegan. 

However, I must note that ComissarFeesh's argument is irrefutable ;)

• Wytefang and CommissarFeesh like this

#5 Darik

Darik

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:41 PM

Baharroth...can you imagine a Warlord that is able to hand out Flight? (and/or Mobility?!?!?) That'd be pretty epic...

#6 Lukiki

Lukiki

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:30 PM

I think it would be cool if they did their own thing and finally created the Warp Spiders phoenix lord.

#7 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:07 PM

I think it would be cool if they did their own thing and finally created the Warp Spiders phoenix lord.

completely agree. Leave all the lore asshats out in the wind and make up their own stuff for the game. Then no one can ***** and moan. Kinda like that new star trek series. I would love to see unique new creations, wish little history blurbs on the pack inserts and stuff. Like Blood Ravens or w/e

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#8 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:28 PM

*sigh* Some people really can't help themselves.
  • Wytefang, Toqtamish, Gridash and 1 other like this

#9 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:17 PM

well the beauty of the new star trek was the writers the realisation that you can not cater to fanboys. Fanboys by definition are enamoured with a certain image of w/e they are into.  The smallest changes, or leaving out a single aspect or producing something they do not think fits leads to endless bollocksing on and grief.

Producing new content in the same universe has none of these draw backs. It also happens to be more interesting and creative as it is new and not rehashing all the same **** we have seen for ever.

I think FFG should go all out in creating their own stuff, their own sector, own heros.. crafting their own narrative that can become a additive to the lore rather than just be randomly picking famous stuff from the entire codex.

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#10 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:40 PM

Without knowing what the license stipulates, we have no idea how much free reign FFG has.

#11 BuzzsawMF

BuzzsawMF

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:53 AM

Creating new warlords is walking a thin line for alot of people. They can do it better with Conquest than they can with say agot.

That being said, if they do create new warlords, I would like to see some heavy lore come with them. I like to be immersed in a game so lore and theme is pretty important to me. If I played a game solely on mechanics, I might as well play solitaire.

• Wytefang likes this
Listen and follow us on the ConQast!

Facebook- The ConQast

Twitter- The ConQast

For Download- The ConQast

#12 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:50 PM

lore is not really something I care about, I love the 40K lore, but the responsibility of the designers is in mechanism and gameplay imo. GW used to be all about user creation, in fact in the early days it was more like a RPG. Everyone made their own chapters and heroes and stuff. This was when 40K ruled the most. Nowadays so much of the imagination is gone.

As for adding lore, the most famous made up one is Blood Ravens. A completely made up chapter by a computer game company, with its own heroes and villains and chapter with its own histories. People completely accepted it and loved it, in fact I have seen my mate freak out at conventions when people ask about his blood raven army (he plays blood angels)

FFG has a tradition of putting little short stories in their expansion packs. if I was involved I would have each packs sheet contain a full bio of the hero as well as some history about him and his place in the universe. This would be a perfect place to do this and allow them to really get into the meat of the history of THIS game. Make up their own stuff and add to the lore for a change.

I rag on Star Wars a lot but I do love how themed the expansions packs were, you can look at them and they in fact tell a story, as do the cards they contain. I thought this was pretty awesome and it is what I hope they do in this game.

Edited by booored, 06 August 2014 - 03:50 PM.

• Wytefang and Inquisitor6 like this

#13 BuzzsawMF

BuzzsawMF

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:51 PM

lore is not really something I care about, I love the 40K lore, but the responsibility of the designers is in mechanism and gameplay imo. GW used to be all about user creation, in fact in the early days it was more like a RPG. Everyone made their own chapters and heroes and stuff. This was when 40K ruled the most. Nowadays so much of the imagination is gone.

As for adding lore, the most famous made up one is Blood Ravens. A completely made up chapter by a computer game company, with its own heroes and villains and chapter with its own histories. People completely accepted it and loved it, in fact I have seen my mate freak out at conventions when people ask about his blood raven army (he plays blood angels)

FFG has a tradition of putting little short stories in their expansion packs. if I was involved I would have each packs sheet contain a full bio of the hero as well as some history about him and his place in the universe. This would be a perfect place to do this and allow them to really get into the meat of the history of THIS game. Make up their own stuff and add to the lore for a change.

I rag on Star Wars a lot but I do love how themed the expansions packs were, you can look at them and they in fact tell a story, as do the cards they contain. I thought this was pretty awesome and it is what I hope they do in this game.

I agree, something like that would have to be done. I love the inserts for netrunner and the story elements.

For the rpg element of 40K, this is a 2 edged sword. That is how the HelloKitty Marines came from. lol

Listen and follow us on the ConQast!

Facebook- The ConQast

Twitter- The ConQast

For Download- The ConQast

#14 scott80

scott80

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:29 PM

lore is not really something I care about, I love the 40K lore, but the responsibility of the designers is in mechanism and gameplay imo. GW used to be all about user creation, in fact in the early days it was more like a RPG. Everyone made their own chapters and heroes and stuff. This was when 40K ruled the most. Nowadays so much of the imagination is gone.As for adding lore, the most famous made up one is Blood Ravens. A completely made up chapter by a computer game company, with its own heroes and villains and chapter with its own histories. People completely accepted it and loved it, in fact I have seen my mate freak out at conventions when people ask about his blood raven army (he plays blood angels)FFG has a tradition of putting little short stories in their expansion packs. if I was involved I would have each packs sheet contain a full bio of the hero as well as some history about him and his place in the universe. This would be a perfect place to do this and allow them to really get into the meat of the history of THIS game. Make up their own stuff and add to the lore for a change.I rag on Star Wars a lot but I do love how themed the expansions packs were, you can look at them and they in fact tell a story, as do the cards they contain. I thought this was pretty awesome and it is what I hope they do in this game.

There are levels though. The Blood Ravens are simply yet another space marine chapter amongst the hundreds that exist, and making the chapter master and such for a chapter is fine.
Adding a new phoenix lord is akin to creating the primarch for one of the deleted legions and isn't something I feel FFG should be deciding upon.

Edited by scott80, 08 August 2014 - 05:31 PM.

• Primarch_Guilliman likes this

#15 CommissarFeesh

CommissarFeesh

• Members
  • 927 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:40 PM

lore is not really something I care about, I love the 40K lore, but the responsibility of the designers is in mechanism and gameplay imo. GW used to be all about user creation, in fact in the early days it was more like a RPG. Everyone made their own chapters and heroes and stuff. This was when 40K ruled the most. Nowadays so much of the imagination is gone.As for adding lore, the most famous made up one is Blood Ravens. A completely made up chapter by a computer game company, with its own heroes and villains and chapter with its own histories. People completely accepted it and loved it, in fact I have seen my mate freak out at conventions when people ask about his blood raven army (he plays blood angels)FFG has a tradition of putting little short stories in their expansion packs. if I was involved I would have each packs sheet contain a full bio of the hero as well as some history about him and his place in the universe. This would be a perfect place to do this and allow them to really get into the meat of the history of THIS game. Make up their own stuff and add to the lore for a change.I rag on Star Wars a lot but I do love how themed the expansions packs were, you can look at them and they in fact tell a story, as do the cards they contain. I thought this was pretty awesome and it is what I hope they do in this game.

There are levels though. The Blood Ravens are simply yet another space marine chapter amongst the hundreds that exist, and making the chapter master and such for a chapter is fine.
Adding a new phoenix lord is akin to creating the primarch for one of the deleted legions and isn't something I feel FFG should be deciding upon.

Not by themselves, certainly. I can imagine though that anything like that (and even 'minor' things like establishing a new chapter) could/would be done with GW's approval and direct influence to ensure that the lore was respected.

GW keep a firm hand on the reins of their IP (it's actually been the cause of many a laugh on the interwebs, such as when they tried to copyright the term 'Space Marine'), but that doesn't mean that they're unwilling to negotiate over a licensed product, as Dawn of War and the Blood Ravens show.

#16 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:45 PM

well yeah, I mean FFG just couldn't invent a new Chaos God either.. but inventing a new tank or type of troop or a hero, a new chapter or w/e... sure. Why not.

#17 Robin Graves

Robin Graves

• Members
  • 3,415 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:26 PM

Ahra, Father of scorpions, aka the fallen Phoenix...

Yes i know he has no rules/mini in the 40.000 game. That's why I want a commander card for him!

#18 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:01 AM

well the beauty of the new star trek was the writers the realisation that you can not cater to fanboys.

Well... they did an odd thing of stamping all over the established feel of Star Trek, while making many references that only established Star Trek fans would understand or recognise. It was an odd inconsistent approach "We are making this for new people, for the non-fans... Oh, wait look at this reference to x thing in some random episode no one who isn't a fan will even begin to understand." Yes, I will admit I am 1) a Star Trek fan and 2) was highly irritated by many elements of the new films.

I personally would guess would be Maugan-Ra, as he is established as leading the Ulthwe rapid strike teams during the 13th Black Crusade, and we already have cards being shown for Ulthwe Black Guardians. Also, aside from Asurmen I think he is the only one who has been demonstrably shown in an actual leadership role. From what I remember, most of the Pheonix Lords act more as exceptional individual warriors, appearing at important battles and then vanishing again, rather than acting as actual war leaders.

Edited by borithan, 12 August 2014 - 08:02 AM.

#19 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

Eh, if it's an HQ choice, that's close enough. A warlord's a warlord.

Personally, I'm hoping for Fuegan. Don't care too much about the lore, but the guy looks like a total badass.

#20 Gundog8324

Gundog8324

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:38 PM

Ahra, Father of scorpions, aka the fallen Phoenix...

Yes i know he has no rules/mini in the 40.000 game. That's why I want a commander card for him!

Well that depends if you believe those rumors that Drazhar might actually be Ahra.....

Regardless I want one of them(Drazhar or Ahra)