Two ship build - Too foolish?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Osoling

Osoling

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

So, I love the E-wing, and I love the Falcon, but running them together is just too expensive... I think...  Is a two ship build just foolish?  And I know I should run Gunner or 3PO in the Falcon, but I don't own those cards and I try to stick with what I have or know I can easily pick up at our local LGS.  So, knowing the meta the way you folks do, how would this list stack up against popular builds?  What would it do well, and how would it fail?  I will learn a lot from you guys picking on it.

Thanks for taking the time to look it over.

O

Etahn A'baht (32)
Outmaneuver (3)
Fire-Control System (2)
R2-D2 (4)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Chewbacca (42)
Luke Skywalker (7)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Millennium Falcon (1)

Total: 99

#2 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 4,117 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:28 AM

The winning player at the Denver Regionals did so with Han/Corran. I don't know exactly what he faced, and I've never played with or against a list like it--but Christian is a pretty experienced and knowledgeable player, and the Regionals win is definitely an endorsement.

• Ootman and Osoling like this

#3 horsepire

horsepire

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:31 AM

The winning player at the Denver Regionals did so with Han/Corran. I don't know exactly what he faced, and I've never played with or against a list like it--but Christian is a pretty experienced and knowledgeable player, and the Regionals win is definitely an endorsement.

It seems like if you're going to do it, though, it ought to be Corran and not Etahn. You don't get THAT much benefit out of Etahn's ability if you're only running two ships with a total of six dice.

But running Corran/Chewie or Corran/Han gives you the effective firepower of three or four ships, with good survivability to boot. It seems like that could work consistently.

• Vorpal Sword and Osoling like this

#4 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

The Laughing Warrior

• Members
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

Could be very fun. You could have three or four Headhunters as support too.

• Osoling likes this

"There Is No Such Thing As Luck." 😃  BLACK SIX RED SEVEN  😊  "The Only Meta Is Having FUN!" 💀⚡

ALLIANCE: (43) A-WING: 6 B-WING: 6 E-WING: 3 HWK-290: 2 K-WING: 0 X-WING: 7 Y-WING: 7  Z-95: 7 YT-1300: 3 YT-2400: 2

EMPIRE: (39) TIE ADVANCED: 3 TIE BOMBER: 3 TIE DEFENDER: 4 TIE FIGHTER: 12 TIE INTERCEPTOR: 10 TIE PHANTOM: 3 TIE PUNISHER: 0 DECIMATOR: 3 LAMBDA:

SCUM: (43) FIRESPRAY-31: 4 HWK-290: 3 IG-2000: 2 KIHRAXZ: 0 M3-A: 8 STAR VIPER: 4 Y-WING: 7 YT-1300: 1 YV-666: 0 Z-95: 14

#5 overdesigned

overdesigned

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

I've been playing with Han/Corran after hearing about that guy at the Denver Regionals.  I really enjoy it.  After a few matches, I've settled on this:

Han + Gunner + C3P0 + Marksmanship

Corran + FCS + R2 Astro + Marksmanship + Flechette Torpedo

• Osoling likes this

#6 markcsoul

markcsoul

• Members
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

It's doable, but usually I think you need two large ships to pull off a 2-ship build.

• bobbywhiskey and Osoling like this

REBEL: 2 A-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 1 E-Wing, 3 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wings, 2 Z-95s, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75, 1 Corvette

IMPERIAL: 1 Advanced, 1 Bomber, 2 Defenders, 3 Fighters, 3 Interceptors, 2 Phantoms, 2 Firesprays, 1 Shuttle

SCUM: 3 Y-Wings, 5 Z-95s, 1 HWK-290, 1 Aggressor, 2 Firesprays

#7 Osoling

Osoling

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:53 AM

I've been playing with Han/Corran after hearing about that guy at the Denver Regionals.  I really enjoy it.  After a few matches, I've settled on this:

Han + Gunner + C3P0 + Marksmanship

Corran + FCS + R2 Astro + Marksmanship + Flechette Torpedo

That's an interesting build.  I might go try that out on Vassal...

Keep your thoughts coming!   They are really helpful.

#8 Osoling

Osoling

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:04 AM

Overdesigned, Here's what I came up with using the cards I have...

Han Solo (46)
Marksmanship (3)
Luke Skywalker (7)

Corran Horn (35)
Marksmanship (3)
Fire-Control System (2)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Total: 100

#9 Voxslain

Voxslain

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

I've done very well with Etahn and Corran, but in this situation I think you'd be better off with Horn.  Perhaps one of the most important aspects of the Falcon is it's 360 firing.  How often will Etahn's ability be in use consider the Falcon?  Where Horn can handle a lot on his own, shots before Etahn and Chewy and can land that finishing touch should you have an enemy smoking at the end of the combat phase.

#10 overdesigned

overdesigned

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:12 AM

Osoling, that's a similar idea, yep.  I like having something defensive on Han to help him live longer in a 2-ship build, either C3P0, or Chewbacca crew if you don't have Threepio.  In your case I might drop Engine Upgrade from Corran in order to add Chewie crew to Han, but it's completely up to how you plan on flying Corran around; boosting on your non-firing turns could be really useful.

#11 PhantomFO

PhantomFO

• Members
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

I kinda want to try a two-ship build of the following:

Corran Horn (35)
- Push The Limit (3)
- R2-F2 (3)
- Advanced Sensors (3)
- Stealth Device (3)

Etahn Abaht (32)
- Opportunist (4)
- R2-D2 (4)
- Sensor Jammer (4)
- Shield Upgrade (4) or Engine Upgrade (4)

Take your pick. Do you go after the guy with five green dice (6 at range 3) and can attack twice in a round? Or the one who turns one hit per attack into an eyeball and rolls an extra die if you spend a focus?
REBEL: 4 X-Wings, 4 B-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 3 A-Wings, 1 E-Wing, 3 Z95 Headhunters, 1 YT-1300, 1 YT-2400, 1 HWK-290, 1 GR75 Transport, 1 CR90 Corellian Corvette
IMPERIAL: 6 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Interceptors, 1 TIE Bomber, 3 TIE Phantoms, 1 TIE Defender, 2 TIE Advanced, 3 Lambda Shuttles, 1 Firespray-31, 1 VT-49 Decimator
SCUM: 4 Z95 Headhunters, 3 Y-Wings, 2 Aggressors, 1 StarViper, 1 Firespray-31, 1 HWK-290

#12 FatherTurin

FatherTurin

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:42 AM

What about:
Corran: PTL, FCS, R7, EU
46 points
Chewie: Wingman, Gunner, 3P0, MF Title
53 points

99 points total

Between Corran using TLs for defense and the well known by now tankiness of Chewie with title and threepio, I think there's a reasonable amount of defense in that force for a 2 ship build. My concern is that every other turn it hits like an XXX list, while the next turn it only throws 3 red dice.

Edited by FatherTurin, 23 July 2014 - 11:46 AM.

The Fleet: 4 X-Wings, 2 Rebel Y-Wings, 5 A-Wings, 2 Falcons, 4 B-Wings, 2 HWKs, 2 E-Wings, 2 Rebel Z-95s, 1 YT-2400, Rebel Transport, Corvette
5 TIE/ln, 1 TIE/x1, 3 TIE/in, 1 TIE/sa, 2 Firesprays, 1 Lambda, 1 Phantom, 2 Defenders, 1 Decimator
2 StarVipers, 2 Scyks, 2 Aggressors, 2 Scum Y-Wings, 4 Scum Z-95s

#13 aArendsvark

aArendsvark

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:46 AM

I think I'd go with:

Chewbacca: gunner, C3P0, Expert Handling, MF

Corran: PTL, FCS, Engine, R5-P9

• McBain likes this

#14 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:49 AM

And I know I should run Gunner or 3PO in the Falcon

You could also experiment and perhaps bring something new to the table, instead of being "that Falcon player". :)

• horsepire and Osoling like this

#15 GannerRhysode

GannerRhysode

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:02 PM

I run these two ships at 100 pts and it consistently comes out on top of TIE swarms and 2-4 Elite Ship lists.  I faced 2 YT's and came out on top with Etahn unscathed.  It's effective, maneuverable, and durable.

Corran Horn/E-Wing (35)
R2-D2 (4)
– After executing a green manoeuvre, you may recover one shield (up to your shield value).

Proton Torpedoes (4)

– Attack [Target Lock]: Spend your target lock and discard this card to perform this attack. You may change one of your eye.png results to a critical.png result. Attack value: 4. Range: 2-3.

Fire-Control System (2)

– After you perform an attack, you may acquire a target lock on the defender.

Push the Limit (3)

– Once per round, after you perform an action, you may perform 1 free action shown in your action bar. Then receive 1 stress token.

Shield Upgrade (4)

Etahn A'baht/E-Wing (32)
R2-F2 (3)
– Action: Increase your agility value by 1 until the end of this game round.

Proton Torpedoes (4)

– Attack [Target Lock]: Spend your target lock and discard this card to perform this attack. You may change one of your eye.png results to a critical.png result. Attack value: 4. Range: 2-3.

Push the Limit (3)

– Once per round, after you perform an action, you may perform 1 free action shown in your action bar. Then receive 1 stress token.

Fire-Control System (2)

Shield Upgrade (4)

• Osoling likes this
"There are thousands of warriors out here. You are only one man!"
"I am only one Jedi."
"You're insane!"
"No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."
―Nom Anor and Ganner Rhysode

#16 aArendsvark

aArendsvark

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:31 PM

Huh, that would be a different way to run two ships.  Aren't the proton torpedoes pretty risky, they don't have a way to change blanks?

Etahn A'baht/E-Wing (32)
R2-F2 (3)

Proton Torpedoes (4)

Push the Limit (3)

Fire-Control System (2)

Shield Upgrade (4)

Also, I'd think you'd want the droid that repairs shields instead of the agility droid here.  Also, I think you could switch out the Shield Upgrades for Engines or Hull and not lose too much.

#17 Elkerlyc

Elkerlyc

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:59 PM

If i would do a 2 ship build this would be it:

Corran Horn (46), R2-D2 (4), Fire-Control System (2), Veteran Instincts (1), Engine Upgrade (4)
Chewbacca (51), Gunner (5), C-3PO (3), Millennium Falcon (1)

-> 3points for EPT to chewie; predator/ptl or perhaps determination/vet instincts and a flechette torpedo?

“History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives.”

#18 GannerRhysode

GannerRhysode

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:08 PM

I use the Proton Torpedoes because they're 4 dice and I can take a focus and target lock on the first round of engagement (with PTL) to shoot them off, biting off a few shield tokens for a couple targets.

On E'Tahn, I have the defense droid because the "droid to repair shields" (R2-D2) is already on Corran.  So it makes one with the ability to be 4 defense dice and an Evade and the other ship has R2-D2, giving him back a shield each green maneuver.

I like the shield because with their hull only being 2 and me only running those two ships, I like to up their chances of living.

Huh, that would be a different way to run two ships.  Aren't the proton torpedoes pretty risky, they don't have a way to change blanks?

Etahn A'baht/E-Wing (32)
R2-F2 (3)

Proton Torpedoes (4)

Push the Limit (3)

Fire-Control System (2)

Shield Upgrade (4)

Also, I'd think you'd want the droid that repairs shields instead of the agility droid here.  Also, I think you could switch out the Shield Upgrades for Engines or Hull and not lose too much.

"There are thousands of warriors out here. You are only one man!"
"I am only one Jedi."
"You're insane!"
"No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."
―Nom Anor and Ganner Rhysode

#19 overdesigned

overdesigned

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:13 PM

R5-P9 will let you trade a focus for a shield at the end of your turn, if you wanted to have shield regeneration on both ships (and you happen to own a Rebel Transport).

Proton Torpedoes is a lot of points for what amounts to basically one extra attack die on one single attack (that you have to spend a Target Lock to use).  I tend to think it's better replaced with Flechette Torpedoes and using the excess points elsewhere.

#20 Rekkon

Rekkon

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:21 PM

Theorist did very well in the Galactic Cup with this.

Ibtisam (28)

Advanced Sensors (3)

Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

Push the Limit (3)

Engine Upgrade (4)

Chewbacca

Expert Handling (2)

Gunner (5)

Nien Nunb (1)

Millennium Falcon (1)

Engine Upgrade (4)