And our next hero is..

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#61 DC06675

DC06675

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:27 PM

I'd be interested in hearing some hero line-ups that feature her.

I'm running through the list of possibilities, and trying out some options, but have not landed on anything that really clicks for me.

Any thoughts?

in my head, i'm thinking eomer, imrahil, and her.

horn of gondor, steward of gondor, and errand riders to smooth resources.

popping allies to clear locations (hello, riddermark's finest) to ready imrahil, pump up eomer, and ready our newest hero.

we'll see how it goes...

That's a high starting threat!

so? ;)

I always struggle with Tri-Sphere decks and would undoubtedly need another mono-lore deck for support. I am getting into mono-decks again lately (mainly for eagles) but i would say that Idraen would be good in mono-spirit. Idraen, Eowyn, Eleanor, maybe alongside a tactics deck or whatever is needed for the given quest. That is a solid three I think...and who says women are underrepresented. They are three solid heroes. 

#62 shipwreck

shipwreck

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:27 PM

Ran Idraen with (S) Glorfindel and Denethor a couple times tonight, but I never got all the gears moving solo. I think complimented with a combat deck this could eat up locations and grant some nice action advantage (especially if Glorfindel and Idraen can get some Ranged action).

I included Northern Tracker, Lorien Guide, Greyflood Wanderer, Asfaloth, even Strength of Will (which actually couples nicely with Glorfindel+Light of Valinor). Ravenhill Scout didn't get his chance to shine: I picture him shooting some progress over at the right time to knock out a location and ready Idraen as needed.

Three Trials didn't get me enough time to setup and I quested through Into Fangorn too quickly to really see the deck working as intended. I'll try it in a multiplayer setting and hopefully it'll take off.

The real treat, though, has been seeing my Silvan deck come together! But I guess that's for another thread.

#63 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:24 PM

Can we get a review of The Three Trials? I'm picking up my pack tomorrow.
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#64 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:52 PM

More info! What about the quest? the enemies, locations, etc. What is it compared to other quests like this? 

• PsychoRocka likes this

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#65 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

• Members
  • 697 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:53 AM

CardboardoftheRings has a brief review over on their facebook page

#66 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:17 AM

anyone have a preview/summary for those of us who dont use fb? :D ...(yes, we exist!! :P)

Edited by richsabre, 24 July 2014 - 05:18 AM.

• Olorin93 likes this

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#67 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:37 AM

SPOILER ALERT, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED
Brief review - The Three Trials

My quest rating, after two games: 9/10
The quest reminds me mainly of the Steward's Fear, with the bosses and quest cards interacting in similar ways as how the plot cards and villains used to work. Various combinations can ensue, which increases the replayability. The shadow and treacheries are fairly tame. The new Dunedain hero excels in this quest; bring Northern tracker, Asfaloth and Warden of Arnor for some on demand readying. We used generic decks for our first game and got beaten (but still almost won). On the second game we slightly tweaked our decks for the quest and won. Fun and includes lots of decision space on how to proceed from one trial to the next.

My player card rating: 9/10
A very solid pack of cards, especially for secrecy decks. The new hero is a blast, think Aragorn-like stats and readying ability with Asfaloth/Glorfindel's or Legolas' help. She particularly excels in multiplayer games; in solo, not enough locations come out to warrant her inclusion in my opinion.

Look forward to the next podcast episode for some more discussion on the expansion pack, and the opinions of the rest of the crew.

- É

• richsabre likes this

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#68 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 570 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:40 AM

I'll give a few detailed spoilers here, so look away if you don't want to be spoiled! 

- There are three unique Guardian enemies, three unique Barrow locations, and three unique Key objectives. Each Key objective is associated with a particular Guardian.

- There are three different stage 2 cards (stage 1 is basically a setup). Each one represents a different type of trial (perseverance, strength, and intuition) and you get to choose which trial you want to face and in what order. Once you pick a trial, you randomly select a Barrow location and objective/guardian. Each trial works a bit differently.

- It is similar to Steward's Fear in terms of replay value in having the combinations of different locations, trials, and guardians, but plays out very differently.

• richsabre and shipwreck like this

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#69 shipwreck

shipwreck

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

I give it two thumbs up. Between the random nature of the encounters and their varied effects (lots of attacking, threat raising, location lock, searching through the encounter deck, etc) and the fact that you're fighting a Guardian from round 1, it is very intense and rewarding. I've only played it solo, and so the last stage is very difficult, but I can't wait to see it multiplayer.

#70 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:25 PM

Getting back to Idraen for a moment I'm coming around to her being 3 attack.  Consider a secrecy deck with her and (who else?) Spirit Glorifindel. Starting threat 16 and can crack back for 6 damage right out of the gate.  Attacking for 6 is pretty much the magic number right now because there are so many enemies with 4/2, 3/3, 2/4 defense/hit points.  It's important as a solo player to be able to remove these engaged threats right away so they don't trigger.

Starting to brew now.

• Olorin93 and DC06675 like this
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#71 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

A Watchful Peace is a decent mini-combo with Warden of Armor. I'm going through my binders and looking at some cards from a new angle - which is really good.
  • richsabre, joezim007 and Olorin93 like this

#72 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 934 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:41 PM

A Watchful Peace is just plain good for any deck that sucks at combat and is good at questing. Doesn't necessarily need to "combo" with anything.

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#73 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

Hmm, not so sure about that, when dealing shadow cards you're always going to lose the locations.

#74 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 934 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:52 PM

Yes, but if you can use it when there is no enemy for that round, you can keep cycling that location over and over. You can also use several "tricks" to prevent enemies from engaging, especially in the Spirit and Lore spheres.

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#75 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:21 PM

Hmm yes I think you're right. It's not gonna work in all scenarios but most of them probably. 

Also still no ffgapp link to The Three Trials!... I want to see the cards!

#76 Catastrophic09

Catastrophic09

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:19 PM

Well she's definitely awesome and brings needed elements to the Spirit sphere, all other Spirit heroes have only had at most 9 threat so having an 11 threat hero means they're more versatile and you're in the sphere that can lower your threat so she is super good, I hope for more high threat Spirit heroes.  Her ability is obviously better in multiplayer and will be hard to trigger as often in solo.  I really like how they had an insert about her, it's helps her feel more real and all FFG made heroes should have something like this  :)

#77 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 741 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:55 PM

I'm kind of doing a 180 on my thinking on her. I'm having a lot more fun with her in solo than expected and her response is a nice bonus when it does trigger. The 3 attack is pretty substantial. Team her up with Glorfindel and just about every mid range enemy will fall in combat, which is a pretty big deal for spirit decks.

She really shines in 3 trials since locations are leaving play regularly, but so far on some older quests her response has less of an impact, but overall this can be worked around with spirit readying cards.

However, without Glorfindel in a solo deck I find my options are a bit more limited for selecting other heroes, so in some ways she's another card that makes the spirit sphere and particularly Glorfindel even stronger than before, but I'm done complaining.

ALL HAIL IDRAEN! Hip Hip Horay

Edited by Tracker1, 29 July 2014 - 05:56 PM.

• FetaCheese likes this
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#78 CJMatos

CJMatos

• Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

Hmm yes I think you're right. It's not gonna work in all scenarios but most of them probably. 

http://ffgapp.com/qr/MEC27

Carlos José Matos

#79 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

http://ffgapp.com/qr/MEC27

I posted that a day before the cards were up, and I kept a close eye till they were all in the page. For some reason though, they never put the quest cards in the page! 

Anyway thanks for putting the link.

#80 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:02 PM

I'm kind of doing a 180 on my thinking on her. I'm having a lot more fun with her in solo than expected and her response is a nice bonus when it does trigger. The 3 attack is pretty substantial. Team her up with Glorfindel and just about every mid range enemy will fall in combat, which is a pretty big deal for spirit decks.

She really shines in 3 trials since locations are leaving play regularly, but so far on some older quests her response has less of an impact, but overall this can be worked around with spirit readying cards.

However, without Glorfindel in a solo deck I find my options are a bit more limited for selecting other heroes, so in some ways she's another card that makes the spirit sphere and particularly Glorfindel even stronger than before, but I'm done complaining.

ALL HAIL IDRAEN! Hip Hip Horay

She is a total solo hero for sure. The more players the less you really need duel use heroes. Her ability is limited by location exploration but this is forming a really cool deck. I am not ready to call it done (I finalize decks at the end of the cycle) but Lore / Spirit solo deck is showing GREAT promise.

Especially with Rivendale Scout.. Tracker, Guide, I.Tracker, etc... I think it is the start of a new encounter control deck where you leave the locations in the staging area and then use R.Scout to complete these locations at a time of your choosing. We have a lot of tools for placing exploration markers as well as moving them with R.Scout. Even ways to remove the threat of a location every quest phase so storing tokens on a location dose not add threat... It is kind of like when we used to run SNARE and IN FIGHTING to move damage around.

I have a suspicion that this could be the start of a new "type" location entering and leaving play effects.. we already have a few, and she will be a major player in this forming deck.

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"