Are the Pilots Flavourful?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Azul

Azul

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

I just wanted to see what everyone thinks about the various pilots in this awesome game.  Are their abilities flavour wins or fails?

An example might be Luke who has the feeling of a force assisted evade.

• oddeye likes this

#2 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 4,121 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:58 PM

• Dutch Vander has the line "Switching to targeting computer," and hands out target locks.
  • Garven Dreis has the line "Keep your eyes open for those fighters!" and hands out focus tokens (which have an open eye symbol).
  • Jek Porkins, who crashed into the Death Star's surface yelling "I can hold it", can virtually ignore stress--but sometimes takes damage to do so.
  • Han Solo, a gambler who famously has no use for odds, can reroll his attack dice for free.
  • Chewbacca, who's always working on the Falcon, can ignore many kinds of critical damage.
  • Boba Fett, about whose location Han Solo was famously confused, can change his dial immediately before he moves.

A lot of pilot abilities are just fun mechanics, but it seems to me that everywhere they could, FFG stuck in a little easter egg for the really serious Star Wars nerds.

• haslo, bsmith13, R5Don4 and 7 others like this

#3 Blail Blerg

Blail Blerg

• Members
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

how about the imperials?  

I feel like darth vader wasn't that great.  Nor the crew card.  

ROLL RED, STAY THIRSTY FRIENDS. 

#4 oddeye

oddeye

• Members
  • 570 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

huh.. i always thought ffg got Garven's ability from when Vader blew out his starboard engine and he tells luke to get set up for his attack run. either way works, Garven is a true leader.

arvel - classic.. no need to explain

mauler mithel - again, no need to explain

here one for thought - fails on abilities

Red squadron - rebel alliances best pilots (even says so on the card), has no EPT.. fail

I see your schwartz is as big as mine. Let's see how you handle it!

#5 Effenhoog

Effenhoog

• Members
  • 551 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:17 PM

Biggs

• oddeye likes this

#6 Jo Jo

Jo Jo

• Members
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

Biggs

Dies. 

Janson was Wedge's rear gunner at Hoth. He was the first to trip up a AT-AT making it easier to destroy. Kind of stretch but his ability does strip the target's ability to defend. 

Edited by Jo Jo, 22 July 2014 - 09:37 PM.

"And then, we'll remind the Rebellion what war is all about." 

#7 horsepire

horsepire

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:34 PM

how about the imperials?  

It is a weird ability for sure.

Corran Horn's ability seems pretty fluffy. Jedi double tap.

#8 R22

R22

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:39 PM

Wedge - You literally have less of a chance of evading him.

Jake Farrel - He can school you, he fly so good.

Tycho - Leads TIEs on a merry chase and literally makes himself a target cool as you like, no stress effects him.

ORS - He's a wannabe Han Solo but falls short besides buying the same ship.

OT: In the old N64 Rogue Squadron game the password to unlock the Battle of Hoth was 'DEADDACK' haha. But anyway,

Yub yub, Commander.

#9 Knucklesamwich

Knucklesamwich

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:40 PM

Arvel is the best follows by Biggs they both make me laugh.
  • oddeye likes this

#10 IronTau

IronTau

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:43 PM

Biggs

Dies. 

I never liked when they do this. Characters who die famously on screen tend to get an ability that reflects that. I suppose Porkins and Biggs didn't do much flying besides the part when they died, but there are other games such as LotR strategy battle game where one profile for Haldir the Elf Captain has a special ability... that activates when he dies, presumably because he dies on screen in the movie (movie version only). 

I can only imagine what Dak Ralter's would be if he got a card.

#11 R22

R22

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:49 PM

I can only imagine what Dak Ralter's would be if he got a card.

PS 4 Dak "I feel like I can take on the whole Empire myself!" Ratler: If you are the only friendly ship able to fire, gain an attack die in exchange for an agility die for the rest of the round.

Yub yub, Commander.

#12 Captain Lackwit

Captain Lackwit

HWK Pilot

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:09 PM

I dunno' man if you want to snog these dudes to find out then go ahead and figure out what they taste like.

• catachanninja likes this

"There's got to be a better way to make a living..." -Kyle Katarn
Resident HWK-290 Enthusiast, Trainee pilot. _\.o./_
>Actually thinking Star Wars isn't for kids despite most fans having watched it as children

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread

#13 GlassJaw

GlassJaw

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:15 PM

Luke's ability certainly doesn't emulate the "Use the Force, Luke" right before he switches off his targeting computer since his ability is defensive.

X-Wing x3, Y-Wing x2, A-Wing x2, B-Wing x2, HWK x1, Falcon x1

Tie Fighter x5, Tie Int x4, Tie Bomber x2, Tie Adv x1, Slave-1 x1, Lambda x2

#14 Captain Lackwit

Captain Lackwit

HWK Pilot

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:11 PM

Luke's ability certainly doesn't emulate the "Use the Force, Luke" right before he switches off his targeting computer since his ability is defensive.

Remember how Vader couldn't quite get a lock on Luke?

Yeah, that.

• Red Castle, Vorpal Sword and oddeye like this

"There's got to be a better way to make a living..." -Kyle Katarn
Resident HWK-290 Enthusiast, Trainee pilot. _\.o./_
>Actually thinking Star Wars isn't for kids despite most fans having watched it as children

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread

#15 markcsoul

markcsoul

• Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:44 PM

I'll give a third option for Garven.

I think his ability comes from his repeating non-stop "Stay on Target", as he's REALLY trying to get his wingmen to stay "focused".

• horsepire likes this

REBEL: 2 A-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 1 E-Wing, 3 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wings, 2 Z-95s, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75, 1 Corvette

IMPERIAL: 1 Advanced, 1 Bomber, 2 Defenders, 3 Fighters, 3 Interceptors, 2 Phantoms, 2 Firesprays, 1 Shuttle

SCUM: 3 Y-Wings, 5 Z-95s, 1 HWK-290, 1 Aggressor, 2 Firesprays

#16 Iffo

Iffo

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:09 AM

Really? Some of you can't see the flavour for Vader? He's the best pilot in the Empire and a powerful force user - he can do twice the actions others can because he's very comfortable in his custom Advanced and has the force on his side. That'd be at least two actions in my book! :)

The crew Vader ability is pretty self explanatory and possibly the most flavorful one in the game so far.

• Mikael Hasselstein likes this

(-o-)   (-o-)   (-o-)   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   (<o>)   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   (-co-)   (-co-)   (-co-)  

:>8@8<:   :>8@8<:   :>8@8<:   o=<@>=o   o=<@>=o   o=<@>=o   -</o\>-   -</o\>-   @-|=---o   @-|=---o 

#17 Emrico

Emrico

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:41 AM

I'll give a third option for Garven.

I think his ability comes from his repeating non-stop "Stay on Target", as he's REALLY trying to get his wingmen to stay "focused".

Garven Dreis (Red Leader) is not the pilot who says "Stay on target". That quote is spoken by Gold Five as the Y-Wings are making their trench run.

Jim
Rebels: 3 YT-1300s, 6 X-Wings, 6 Y-Wings, 6 A-Wings, 6 B-Wings, 4 HWK-290s,10 Z-95s, 3 E-Wings, 2 GR-75s, 1 CR-90
Imperials: 8 TIEs, 4 TIE Adv, 12 TIE Interceptors, 3 Firesprays, 6 TIE Bombers, 5 Lambdas, 3 TIE Defenders, 4 Phantoms

#18 Wraithdt

Wraithdt

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:12 AM

Vader's ability is great. Its basically a built-in PTL without the stress side-effect. His only problem is that he's in a Tie Advanced.

The one pilot ability that I always felt wasn't consistent with the flavour of his character is Horton Salm. His current ability is good but its not reflective of his role as a squad leader and his mastery of Y-wing squad tactics. He should have an ability that buffs both himself and other Y-wing/B-wing friendlies around him. Perhaps something like:-

"If you or a friendly ship at range 1 performed a secondary weapon attack that did not hit you may immediately perform another secondary weapon attack. You may not perform another attack this round."

Edited by Wraithdt, 23 July 2014 - 01:13 AM.

#19 Lagomorphia

Lagomorphia

• Validating
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:16 AM

how about the imperials?  

It is a weird ability for sure.

Corran Horn's ability seems pretty fluffy. Jedi double tap.

Vader kills his own crewmembers to motivate the others. As for the ship getting two actions, he's just an amazing pilot.

Edited by Lagomorphia, 23 July 2014 - 03:16 AM.

#20 Caliber42

Caliber42

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:23 AM

Luke should have gotten something gunnery related. He was a horrible pilot...damn near crashed everything he piloted.

-Cal