Glad to see Team Manager gets yet another upgrade. My rant will not be about "moneygrabbing" or anything of the sort. It's about balance.
It seems that the game to begin with is very unbalanced. You could blame it on theme or "lulz factor" but IMO in the long run this game suffers from these issues. Some people don't want like the game because of this, since it does take a while to play, has a lot of randomness with simulated feel of strategy. Meaning a lot of people get hurt when they lose even if it isn't "their fault".
1. Some teams are too good. The skeletons are good, the humans are good. But more importantly..
2. The dwarves suck. I get the theme, but they have too little pass, and they don't have many heavy hitters. Their heaviest tackler is a 3 with dauntless, this basically means "4 against 4, 3 against 3 or less" which in any nonesoteric case is worse than 4. I get that 4s are reserved for "monster type" players, but this could easily be adjusted by giving it a downed tackle or other skill. This way, if you fail your tackle you could still go for high risk high reward type of play which is fitting for the dwarves. As it is now it's too much risk for not that much reward.
The dwarf with 3 star power and strip ball could have a skill that allows it to pass if it succeeds in tackling and still have the option of using strip ball instead of tackle. Now it's just a tackle or sh*tty pass.
These are just suggestions and I am trying to say that it is possible to fix the dwarf team without straying from the theme. Also, 2 of their team upgrades are matchup actions that either require your players to be downed. Too situational for too little.
One of these allow you to stand up a downed player, which for the dwarves isn't as useful as for other teams, since they lose less star power on falling down.
3. The vampires need a buff of some sort. Instead of letting the vampires feast on their own players, you could let the linemen sacrifice themselves. This way, the vampires would get their buff without sacrifing their whole action on attacking their own units. Maybe this would stray from the "play a card, read the text, pass the turn" playstyle, but adding a tiny tiny bit of timing complexity won't hurt the game and won't stray too much from the style of the game.
4. It's good that foul play will add the team upgrades from sudden death, but honestly they need to add more for the old teams. Either replacements for the units, giving the original six teams downed skills or adding more team upgrades. The original six teams are still fun to play, but no way nearly as fleshed out as the newer teams.
5. The stadiums and all other additions are nice, but some people will not play with these because of the "too much fidgeyness" factor, meaning there is a risk the expansion will be just 3 more teams. I think this is fine but it could be much more. Balance adjustments and old team improving is therefore even more important.
6. Just a quick glance at the new teams and they seem a bit too powerful. Hopefully I'm wrong.
TLDR: Retrofit the old teams. If possible, also add more team upgrades. If the game has gone to print too bad.
Everyone knows I'll buy this expansion anyway. I have been hoping for balance fixes since forever though, and I was really sad to see this expansion didn't offer that.
Edited by Arzang, 07 July 2014 - 03:01 PM.