Photo

Earning Your Wings! A Guide For Understanding Movment.

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#141 Dagonet

Dagonet

• Members
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:46 PM

Yup just another shameless bump :(

Not really, I had missed your latest installments so it came in very useful.

MajorJuggler's collection of useful links. A must for all players new or old.

#142 Blail Blerg

Blail Blerg

• Members
  • 3,281 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:20 AM

Hey Osoroshii,

Got a question, how would you visualize very large amounts of space.  

Say the 3k,4k, and 5k.  Let's say you want to k-turn into a board edge and youre not sure you're gonna make it.  so... a 4k has to consider the 5 straight range.

Also, how to gauge range 2 and range 3?

Here's an even harder one.  Lets say we are flying straight at each other from across the board. (rule of 13)  How would you accurately gauge a space of say... movement 8 or 9?  Let's say I have a tie bomber with a missile and I want to ensure it gets into range 2 or 3.  

Or even harder.  Let's say we aren't straight on and we aren't at the exact position of rule13.  I want my tie bomber to get as close to range 3 as possible.  How would you gauge it?

ROLL RED, STAY THIRSTY FRIENDS. 

#143 Osoroshii

Osoroshii

龍神

• Members
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:14 AM

The range ruler helps with situation. We know the edge of the map gets measured at the beginning of the match and Astroids can't get placed inside of the range 2. Each range is 2.5 ship bases and the Astroids will often sit at the range 2 from the edge. Range 2 is a forward five. Use the astroid to gauge the distance from the edge your ship is. If you have a ship with a K4 and you are closer to the edge than the astroid sitting at range 2, you won't make it. If the astroid is closer than the ship trying to k-turn you will.

A bomber with a missile has more to do with Pilot Skill level than the rule of 13. If your bomber is a lower PS it will always have a harder time getting the Lock and still being at the required range for the missile to fire it.
  • DarthJalapeno, Rodafowa, Galiven and 3 others like this

#144 Bakura83

Bakura83

• Members
  • 653 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:36 AM

Looking forward to the Huge Ship update...

• Osoroshii likes this

#145 Blail Blerg

Blail Blerg

• Members
  • 3,281 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:41 AM

The range ruler helps with situation. We know the edge of the map gets measured at the beginning of the match and Astroids can't get placed inside of the range 2. Each range is 2.5 ship bases and the Astroids will often sit at the range 2 from the edge. Range 2 is a forward five. Use the astroid to gauge the distance from the edge your ship is. If you have a ship with a K4 and you are closer to the edge than the astroid sitting at range 2, you won't make it. If the astroid is closer than the ship trying to k-turn you will.

A bomber with a missile has more to do with Pilot Skill level than the rule of 13. If your bomber is a lower PS it will always have a harder time getting the Lock and still being at the required range for the missile to fire it.

Also, great thoughts on the K-turn.  

So is there anything you can do where as a lower PS bomber you can reliably get into R3 and stay within R2 or R3?  

#146 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:51 AM

More of a tactic issue than pure movement, but.

Slow play, with a fast moving skirmish screen in front to dissuade your opponent from rushing into R1 (3+ TIEs/Squints will do nicely)

#147 Ghaerdon

Ghaerdon

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:52 AM

I hope you all are aware of this:

http://randolphw.git...o/echolocation/
  • Osoroshii, admat and Kyrios Mirage like this

Rebels: 4 X Wings; 3 B Wings; 2 A Wings; 2 Y Wings; 2 E Wing; 5 z95; 1 YT-1300; 1 YT-2400; 2 HWK-290; GR-75; Tantive
Empire: 7 Tie Fighters; 3 Tie Interceptors; 2 Tie Bombers; 1 Tie Advanced; 2 Firespray-31; 2 Lambda Shuttles; 2 Tie Defender; 2 Tie Phantom; Decimator
Scum: (will be getting ... 1 Most Wanted; 2 StarViper; 1 IG-2000; 2 M3-A)

#148 Osoroshii

Osoroshii

龍神

• Members
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:12 AM

Yes, this is wonderful work. I've had it booked marked since it was only echo. It has grown so much over the last 2 months.

• Ghaerdon and admat like this

#149 Osoroshii

Osoroshii

龍神

• Members
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:01 PM

Looking forward to the Huge Ship update...

to date I have never played a game with the huge ships. I only own a transport and have yet bro pick up a Tantive IV. the Huge ship guide may be a little ways away.

#150 Blail Blerg

Blail Blerg

• Members
  • 3,281 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:03 PM

Hey, so, any tips on guessing R3?  Say you want to guess whether BR your int will get it out of arc.  How would you accurate judge that?  

As a note:  I do not have the depth perception to add bases on end beyond two or three accurately.  Bad eyesight, bad depth perception.

• Osoroshii likes this

#151 Osoroshii

Osoroshii

龍神

• Members
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:45 PM

Hey, so, any tips on guessing R3?  Say you want to guess whether BR your int will get it out of arc.  How would you accurate judge that?  
As a note:  I do not have the depth perception to add bases on end beyond two or three accurately.  Bad eyesight, bad depth perception.

I could put together a short guide "Out of Arc" and cover the width of the arc at each range of the firing arc. One thing to always take into consideration, always measure to see the distance a target is you are shooting at. Bear in mind the range ruler has predetermined sections that are 2.5 small ship bases each. So the line separating section 1 and 2 will be the center of the ship of it moves forward 2. The section the separates sections 2 and 3 on the range ruler is exactly forward 5. The that line will either be the front of the ship for a forward 4 or the back of the ship in a forward 5.

#152 Marinealver

Marinealver

• Members
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:16 AM

When scum comes out we will need a chapter on K-turns and S-turns. Not to mentioned the different strategies such as S-turns being harder to block (when a K-turn gets blocked you still get stressed). The Defenders white 4-K turn, the B wings 2 K-turn. 4 being the most common K turn while 3 usually for ships that have more than one K turn on their dial. Those that have 5 K-turns etc.

Edited by Marinealver, 30 August 2014 - 01:16 AM.

You can always start another round if you lost the last one.

I don't count the number of my ships since I get one of each it is rather pointless. I only count what I have doubled of.

Spoiler
Unfortunately I don't have the entire Netrunenr set.
Spoiler

#153 Blail Blerg

Blail Blerg

• Members
  • 3,281 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:58 AM

I could put together a short guide "Out of Arc" and cover the width of the arc at each range of the firing arc. One thing to always take into consideration, always measure to see the distance a target is you are shooting at. Bear in mind the range ruler has predetermined sections that are 2.5 small ship bases each. So the line separating section 1 and 2 will be the center of the ship of it moves forward 2. The section the separates sections 2 and 3 on the range ruler is exactly forward 5. The that line will either be the front of the ship for a forward 4 or the back of the ship in a forward 5.

wait, huh?? sorry.  I didn't understand that.  

I think I meant being out of the length of the arc, versus the width... but I'm not exactly sure what you're saying.  You mean the distance of the line at R1 horizontally parallel to the front side of the ship base is straight2 long?

How would you gauge the full R3 length of an arc.  

Like Soontir trying to avoid being shot at by Han completely.  I made a mistake in saying "out of arc".  I meant out of firing range completely.  How to guess the distance of R3 or 7.5straight long.

Thanks muchly for your tips by the way.  

Edited by Blail Blerg, 30 August 2014 - 03:00 AM.

• Osoroshii likes this

#154 devotedknight

devotedknight

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:19 PM

Cool!

I'm from the Empire, And I here to Help! ;)

#155 Marinealver

Marinealver

• Members
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:52 AM

It has Echo but it doesn't have Lorrir special barrel rolls nor does it have K-turns.

I don't count the number of my ships since I get one of each it is rather pointless. I only count what I have doubled of.

Spoiler
Spoiler

#156 Osoroshii

Osoroshii

龍神

• Members
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:05 AM

I think I meant being out of the length of the arc, versus the width... but I'm not exactly sure what you're saying.  You mean the distance of the line at R1 horizontally parallel to the front side of the ship base is straight2 long?

Like Soontir trying to avoid being shot at by Han completely.  I made a mistake in saying "out of arc".  I meant out of firing range completely.  How to guess the distance of R3 or 7.5straight long.

The truth about this guide is, the better we all fly the more exciting the games get. Not losing or winning a match due to pilot error, makes for the best matches.
  • Flamestalker and Marinealver like this

#157 Marinealver

Marinealver

• Members
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:12 AM

The truth about this guide is, the better we all fly the more exciting the games get. Not losing or winning a match due to pilot error, makes for the best matches.

Still why I want a chapter on K turns and S-turns. But before that with the debris clouds should we talk about how terrain can affect ships.

• Flamestalker likes this

Spoiler
Spoiler

#158 Flamestalker

Flamestalker

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:28 PM

I have bookmarked this post in my browsers, on both my pc and ipad.  until they sticky this thread.

• Osoroshii and Jo Jo like this

Yub, Yub, Commander. :D

#159 Marinealver

Marinealver

• Members
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:49 AM

I have bookmarked this post in my browsers, on both my pc and ipad.  until they sticky this thread.

Would be nice if this could be pinned to the top.

• Flamestalker likes this

Spoiler
Spoiler

#160 Jo Jo

Jo Jo

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:42 AM

Yes

"And then, we'll remind the Rebellion what war is all about."