What Do You Want To See Next?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 Misha

Misha

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:54 AM

Thanks for these ideas! I don't know how to put up links so I can't show you, sorry for that but I'm rusty on my computer skills. :(

But otherwise the chart is going on pretty well and I've covered the basics of influence. It is a rather simple chart but big.

:)

The way it works is that you get an amount of points and 'buy' influence with them. There are a few charts and they are divided into these groups.

Planetary

Government

Trade

Imperium

Xenos

Other

High Lords

Yep, I added xenos representing your grandmother sharing philosephical sayings with the Eldar and your dad defeating a warboss. All these actions of your dynasty can make friends with aliens.

However the chart is still not finished as I know there is much more I can add but can't think of.

Edited by Misha, 11 July 2014 - 02:55 AM.

• Radwraith likes this

#42 Gamgee

Gamgee

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:59 AM

I've already conquered a planet as a Rogue Trader. Next up I will conquer more, and more until I have a proper dynasty.

#43 Misha

Misha

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:12 AM

Having a lot of planets doesn't mean you have a dynasty. If you die and no one replaces you then no matter how many planets in your fold... end of very short dynasty. To have a dynasty is about a long trail of rogue traders who are related. So the reason I made the influence chart is to make a history of being a rogue trader. Instead of getting the Newly minted rogue trader, now you can be from a family of Rogue traders. (Stop for a cheesy Yoda saying: Planets make a Rogue Trader do not.)

#44 RogalDorn01

RogalDorn01

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:48 PM

But that does imply that a good rogue trader should of course have kids.  How come this doesn't get explored more in games.  Having a kid in the campaign would really change some of how you handled all your crazy stuff.  an NPC Heir that you could make either really young or an pain in the rear teenager would be very fun as a GM.

"And now...witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational invisible doggy fence..."

#45 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

• Members
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:05 PM

We had a whole sub-plot on our Rogue Trader finding a wife and getting married.  (political and social maneuvering, alliances, economic considerations, resulting cause belli and claims, genetic & personality traits, etc.  love was irrelevant, particularly as the captain's homosexual.)  He's a 'last scion' as well, so he's got extra pressure to get an heir out soon.

Edited by Quicksilver, 11 July 2014 - 01:05 PM.

90% of the time I'm posting without access to rulebooks.  Unless I say otherwise, assume everything is I.I.R.C.

#46 Lightbringer

Lightbringer

• Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:06 PM

Actually, the whole concept of dysfunctional rogue trader families doesn't get enough attention. Rogue traders are generally portrayed by players as pretty much the sole part of their dynasty, loners with servants. But they're logically going to have brothers, sisters, sundry elderly relatives, cousins etc etc. Many of these are likely on board the ship.

Anyone who lives in a country with a royal family knows how these family members can complicate the lives of the reigning monarch. Jealous younger brothers looking to inherit the warrant, younger siblings who need marrying off, mad old aunts and uncles upsetting the servants... A fun area for adventure hooks!
  • Cogniczar likes this

#47 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:34 PM

But that does imply that a good rogue trader should of course have kids.

Technically, the RT just needs an heir. Some/many(/most?) Warrents specify who selects the heir and if it has to be the RT's blood relative. This is not automatic.

How come this doesn't get explored more in games.  Having a kid in the campaign would really change some of how you handled all your crazy stuff.  an NPC Heir that you could make either really young or an pain in the rear teenager would be very fun as a GM.

In my current RT game, the RT is moving her fleet back to Scarus Sector, where her husband and teenaged son reside. A bit of a nuisance what with the Periphery troubles doncha know.

#48 Gamgee

Gamgee

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:52 PM

I'll have kids like no tomorrow for my dynasty I'm well aware. Or I could go the Palpatine route and ensure I survive for a long time.

#49 Misha

Misha

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:39 PM

Thinking of making home rules for marriage and children. Would that be a good idea? I don't know where to start though. I want to make different rules representing the persanolity of the spouse and child, how rich the spouse is, her family ties. What should I do?

#50 Lightbringer

Lightbringer

• Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:04 AM

No problem, Misha. Like everything else, the whole of married life can be summed up with a d5 table:-

Marriage random events table (d5)

1. "I'm FINE." You've done something to upset your spouse. You don't know what it is, and you'll never know. You'll pay for it for weeks though.

2. "Oh no, not NOW..." An act of physical intimacy between you and your spouse is interrupted by one of your tiny offspring indignantly informing you that their nappy/diaper has leaked all over their bedsheets and that they have simultaneously vomited all over their hair.

3. "HOW much?!" Your spouse burns d10 of your Profit Factor on an item with no apparent use.

4. "What time do you call THIS?!" Your spouse goes and and gets drunk with their cronies, burning d5 Profit Factor and suffering d10 insanity points for the next 24 hours, thus ruining the whole damned weekend.

5. "What have you DONE to it?!" Select an item of your personal effects with the highest rarity value (archaotech pistol, rosarius etc). Your youngest offspring destroys it irrevocably by putting it in the bath or covering it in glitter.
  • Nameless2all, Errant, Radwraith and 4 others like this

#51 Errant

Errant

• Members
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:51 AM

I want to make different rules representing the persanolity of the spouse and child, how rich the spouse is, her family ties. What should I do?

Hijack the planetary governor rules from SoI?

#52 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:56 AM

No problem, Misha. Like everything else, the whole of married life can be summed up with a d5 table:-

Marriage random events table (d5)
<snipped>

Looks like a healthy relationship that! :D

#53 Misha

Misha

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:11 AM

Thanks! :lol:

Entirely sums up married life(I should know). Definitley going to use it. Can't wait to see the face of my players when they find their favourite Lascannon covered in glitter. Just can't wait! ;)

Anyway, I have begun writing the rules of relationships and children by beggining with background. The background can give options to the player. For example a daughter of a wealthy merchant can try convince daddy to sell some of his best quality wine for 'bargain prices'. Also the background can complement the character of the spouse. I welcome suggestions and advice.

Edited by Misha, 12 July 2014 - 03:32 AM.

#54 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:38 AM

Your latter suggestion is pretty much exactly what I was driving at with my "holdings" concept, nameless. You're putting meat on the bare bones of the Profit Factor number. I like it. My thinking about the holdings woud be something like:- 

.....SPLENDID HOUSE RULE....

Let me know when you are done with it, as I would like to add it to my repertoire below.  With your permission, of course.

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#55 Amazing Larry

Amazing Larry

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:52 PM

But that does imply that a good rogue trader should of course have kids.  How come this doesn't get explored more in games.  Having a kid in the campaign would really change some of how you handled all your crazy stuff.  an NPC Heir that you could make either really young or an pain in the rear teenager would be very fun as a GM.

My character's legitimized bastard daughter is currently parked at his mansion in the mountain backwoods of Damaris in the custody of his sister, said daughter is only about two years old right now so she's not much of a force in RP. Also since my guy is an Arch Militant all she's really heir to is a small corporate trucking empire with backroom drug cartel and commerce ministry connections and a few million thrones of investments.

#56 douglas9521

douglas9521

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

I'd like to see a in-depth look at the players actual house or dynasty like others have suggested.Something along the lines of the system the Game of Thrones RPG uses but obviously for a Rogue trader perspective.Like a third character after the player and ship.That would certainly get my attention.

#57 Gamgee

Gamgee

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:33 AM

Rogue Trader 2. So we can get to DW 2 faster.

• Misha likes this

#58 Misha

Misha

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:44 AM

Rogue Trader 2. So we can get to DW 2 faster. Gamgee said this.

Definetly in agreement. RT 2 will be better and DW 2... would just be the best.

#59 zakueins

zakueins

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:13 AM

I'm leery about DW 2 immediately, but I would love to see RT 2.

Especially incorporating all the ideas and concepts that have been considered here and other places.

#60 Grand Trader Chode

Grand Trader Chode

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

What I would LOVE to see is a Eldar Corsair/Exodite/Craftworld Eldar Supplement for RT. Soul Reaver' s premise seemed counter- intuitive. I mean why would any Rogue Trader want a "Cenobite-Vampire Elf" in their party.

PS: I have a soft spot for non dark Eldar :)

Edited by Grand Trader Chode, 20 July 2014 - 02:20 PM.

The Quest for Knowledge has no bounds.