Big Bang Theories "Star Wars Day" Episode

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Serif Marak

Serif Marak

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:05 PM

Been waiting for this since I found out it was going to be a thing.  Such excite.  Much anticipate.  Wow.

So, how about we talk about how terrible this episode is, even if it isn't?  You know, to stay in character for how we felt after the Prequel Trilogy destroyed our hopes and dreams.  Gotta stay in practice for the Sequel Trilogy.

"It's not May the fifth, and it's not May the third...."

How could he possibly love this woman?  She can't even take joy in a Star Wars reference!  D:

EDIT: Updated complaint.  She get's the references, but feels ashamed about them.
I could never be with a person like that.....

Edited by Serif Marak, 01 May 2014 - 07:09 PM.

May the dice be ever in your favor!

I may be getting a booth at the next GamerNation Con.
Should I just get a couch and velvet rope and create a VIP area that is actually just a place for me to nap, or actually try to bring something to the table?  :P

#2 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:07 PM

I liked the referene to watching the movies in the machete order.

Edited by mouthymerc, 02 May 2014 - 09:10 AM.

• Serif Marak likes this

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#3 Serif Marak

Serif Marak

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:09 PM

I liked the referene to watching the movies in the mahete order.

That's probably the order that I will be watching them in.

It's not that I don't like the Episode 1....  It's just that I don't want to spend all of Episode 2 and 3 complaining about how I could have done better if I had directed it or written the script or taken a crap on the film.

Should I just get a couch and velvet rope and create a VIP area that is actually just a place for me to nap, or actually try to bring something to the table?  :P

#4 Revanchist7

Revanchist7

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:56 PM

Not a fan of this show.  Hope you enjoy it anyway though!

• Kager, kaosoe and Icosiel like this

I'm convinced that you're from Mars

#5 Grimmshade

Grimmshade

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:28 PM

I wanted to watch this episode, but I've always felt Big Bang Theory laughs AT things I like rather than WITH them.

Hope it was good and you all enjoyed it though!

• knasserII, Serif Marak and Icosiel like this

#6 Serif Marak

Serif Marak

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:30 PM

I wanted to watch this episode, but I've always felt Big Bang Theory laughs AT things I like rather than WITH them.

Hope it was good and you all enjoyed it though!

That is kind of how it goes.  They make a joke out of how nerdy they are.
Which, considering I am writing an adventure for my group right now, makes me feel like the stereotype....

But this episode was okay.  There was more of a joke made about Penny being ashamed about getting the jokes than there was about the guys being Star Wars nerds.  -shrug-

• Grimmshade likes this

#7 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,788 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:40 AM

I have a friend that calls the show "Nerdface humor" as in Blackface, but for nerds instead of blacks.

• Sturn, That Blasted Samophlange, Internutt and 9 others like this

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#8 Serif Marak

Serif Marak

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:41 AM

I have a friend that calls the show "Nerdface humor" as in Blackface, but for nerds instead of blacks.

That is a disturbingly accurate description of this show....

#9 LokisCoyote

LokisCoyote

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:43 PM

That is a disturbingly accurate description of this show....

I saw a meme once that had a picture of the cast of Big Bang Theory next to a picture of Arrested Development. On the BBT side it said, dumb jokes about smart people on the AD side it said, smart jokes about dumb people. I always liked that and I'm not the biggest Arrested Development fan. 

• Kshatriya likes this

#10 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:19 PM

Yeah, never could stand Big Bang Theroy - pretty much for all the reasons cited. I've preferred The It Crowd for my Nerd Show fix:

• Kager and Grimmshade like this

#11 Grimmshade

Grimmshade

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:17 PM

Desslok - The IT Crowd does nerd humor right. So much more relatable than BBT.
  • Desslok and Kager like this

#12 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:30 PM

And - honestly funny. Seriously, the disabled toilet episode was insane! The episode that sold me on the series.

#13 Grimmshade

Grimmshade

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:47 PM

Ha! That's my favorite episode, along with the fire at Seapark episode.

#14 AgentShadow

AgentShadow

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:38 AM

There are times I just want to fly to America, go to the set of Big Bang Theory and punch Sheldon into a coma.

Other than that it's funny. Missed the Star Wars Day episode  :( so can't have an opinion on that.

3720 to 1...

...odds of me winning a game of X-Wing  :P

Please vote for a Dislikehttp://community.fan...have-a-dislike/

#15 Kaytarn

Kaytarn

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:40 AM

I guess I'm weird, I tend to see a lot of myself and my friends in TBBT, we tend to watch it as a 'if you can't laugh at yourself' kinda thing. As a 'for instance': Despite being married, to a lovely, nerdy woman I've been with for 7 years, I still refer to my RPG section of the library (A full 8' long shelf of stuff ranging from WoD to Pathfinder to Teenagers from Outer Space to Warhammer 40K) as 'The Birth Control Section'. And have many friends who have bits of the core cast in them. I don't see it as 'Geek blackface' and REALLY hate the term. You can see it as abusive to geeks/nerds if you like, and it may be, but that's for you to decide, but do not use terms that mean FAR more than you realize for comparison,

• Kshatriya, Serif Marak and artteach like this

"Now I know there is something stronger than fear: The Force. Let me show you how strong it is."

#16 Serif Marak

Serif Marak

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:12 AM

I guess I'm weird, I tend to see a lot of myself and my friends in TBBT, we tend to watch it as a 'if you can't laugh at yourself' kinda thing. As a 'for instance': Despite being married, to a lovely, nerdy woman I've been with for 7 years, I still refer to my RPG section of the library (A full 8' long shelf of stuff ranging from WoD to Pathfinder to Teenagers from Outer Space to Warhammer 40K) as 'The Birth Control Section'. And have many friends who have bits of the core cast in them. I don't see it as 'Geek blackface' and REALLY hate the term. You can see it as abusive to geeks/nerds if you like, and it may be, but that's for you to decide, but do not use terms that mean FAR more than you realize for comparison,

Such anger.  Very mad.  Not wow.

• knasserII likes this

#17 Nisshan

Nisshan

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:58 PM

so true. terrible episode. a bit disrespectful actually.

#18 Deve Sunstriker

Deve Sunstriker

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:32 PM

Technically, using books as contraception is likely not going to work and you will probably only end up with ruined books. Therefore, you shouldn't call it, "The Birth Control Section."

“I cast bad motivator on Darth Vader’s legs!”

#19 knasserII

knasserII

• Members
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:26 PM

I have always loathed the American cultural export of the nerd/geek/whatever. (I'm not American, btw). It's highly artificial and not in the slightest amusing to me. From the very little I've seen of TBBT, I found it vaguely offensive. I don't especially meet many of their criteria but I do play RPGs and I dislike my hobby being cast as something for losers or otherwise socially awkward people.

I guess I'm weird, I tend to see a lot of myself and my friends in TBBT, we tend to watch it as a 'if you can't laugh at yourself' kinda thing.

Yeah, see that's the thing. I don't see those people as myself. But I do recognize that the creators of the program think I am. It's not about not being able to laugh at myself, it's about being stereotyped and made into a caricature for the amusement of others. That's why the comparison to Blackface is quite a good one. Maybe you find the comparison offensive but Blackface was a bunch of people playing caricatures and propagating stereotypes. I actually find such stereotypes genuinely harmful. Not only to those who fall into them (a bit), but also to those who don't and see something (a type of film, a book, a hobby such as RPGs) as not belonging to them but being part of a particular social group.

On a good day I just find it stupid. On a bad day, it irritates me enormously.

Edited by knasserII, 03 May 2014 - 05:26 PM.

I lack credentials.

#20 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:44 AM

Been waiting for this since I found out it was going to be a thing.  Such excite.  Much anticipate.  Wow.

So, how about we talk about how terrible this episode is, even if it isn't?  You know, to stay in character for how we felt after the Prequel Trilogy destroyed our hopes and dreams.  Gotta stay in practice for the Sequel Trilogy.

"It's not May the fifth, and it's not May the third...."

How could he possibly love this woman?  She can't even take joy in a Star Wars reference!  D:

EDIT: Updated complaint.  She get's the references, but feels ashamed about them.
I could never be with a person like that.....

Funny that you only complain about Penny and totally missed Bernadette and Amy and their comments throughout this episode and many, many others.

Hmm, why would a guy like Penny... She's opened him to things, even when they weren't dating, that he hadn't been exposed to. She's actually helped him grow a bit of a spine against Sheldon and his 2-year-old-all-about-me behavior.

Bernadette and Howard connected over their families and faith (a catholic girl and a jewish boy).

Sheldon and Amy connected over their social issues and their intellect.

The fact that Penny gets the references, even if she's ashamed of them, shows that Leonard has also exposed her to things that her Nebraska Farm background never did.