IN THE BALANCE, Part 1, Final

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:57 AM

The final edition of Part 1 (Adventure cards) is now available. I'll be seeking more public venues for its distribution.  In the meantime, those interested can download it HERE (16.7mb). It will remain at this location for 1 week or so.

Next to come will be some additions for the Purchase deck sometime within a week.  I will do one version for review (here at the forums) before finalizing them. 

And last but definitely not least... my thanks to all who helped so much on the mutliple reviews of the Adventure cards.

#2 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:31 AM

A quick update... the file has also now been stored at Talismanisland.  See http://www.talismani.../expansions.htm

#3 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:22 AM

Hi JC

I have  take a look at your new cards and some of the old ones.

I see you have update some old cards. Good work !

I have still some questions about some cards, but i will come back later when i have the time for it.

Greetings

Velhart

#4 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:05 PM

Hey V.  Fire away when you're ready.  I put the cards into the wild, but there's always room for more considerations.  Meanwhile, I'm pushing through some new Purchase cards before facing the impossible task of spell cards.

#5 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:19 PM

They are a lot of new cards that i like

Oke, let's take a look at some cards

Crocodile: First the word surpised must be changed to suprised

It's a nice card, but the chance to lose a follower is low unless the player has a lot of followers.  The crocodile is not so scary now.

What about 1-2 no effect. 3-5 battle at -1 and 6+ lose a follower or life etc

Razorback: word surpised must be changed.

Maybe that you can better say at the end of the card( Fail, and you lose another life or follower at random to his tearing tusks.

Rogues: Reaon must be changed to reason

Blight: I wonder what gold and objects have to do with blights. i don't understand the meaning of the text related to the name of the card.

It looks like a big leaf to me, and only animals want to eat them..( it don't look tasty for humans. etc

But the art of the card is very good !

Winter Solstice. I think you can better changed 3 turns to 3 rounds. otherwise it really short.

I think this is better..( For any who fail at the end of their third turn all their etc...

But they are not many cards with rural in the deck and also not many with fairy or wildernis followers. ( maybe you could add more to make winter solstice more effective?

Battle Hound: I wonder why you must pay 1G to take it? As if the dog accept the coin lol

I don't understand the last text of the card.( it's exempt from all rolls etc

Camel: Why have you write purchase value on a adventure card?..I am wondering about that.

Duchness: I think you must skip the word A ( that stand before craft points)

Verdant priest. it's still not very clear to me. Do you actually mean with this card that craft based characters can't have her.

Priest, cultist, prophetess etc are all craft based characters. this makes more sense to me( than the word theurges)

Skinner post: Can you also sell enemy animal followers? What about if he sell them to other characters? (Minstrell ability)

#6 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:06 AM

Wow... talk about typos!  I'll have to get an update to Jon over at Talismanisland.

Velhart said:

Crocodile...  It's a nice card, but the chance to lose a follower is low unless the player has a lot of followers.  The crocodile is not so scary now. What about 1-2 no effect. 3-5 battle at -1 and 6+ lose a follower or life etc.

I'll review it... but I don't want it to go too far.  There are already a lot of cards in the deck that affect followers.  I may leave this one... since it is sort of just a way to take care of those players who hoard followers as well as / instead of magic objects.

Velhart said:

Razorback: Maybe that you can better say at the end of the card( Fail, and you lose another life or follower at random to his tearing tusks.[/quote] Okay. I had intended that it be a pick and choose, but something outside the adventurer's control works too.

Velhart said:

Blight: I wonder what gold and objects have to do with blights. i don't understand the meaning of the text related to the name of the card.

It is assumed (I suppose) that adventurers are playing a paltry price food in their journeys.  So paltry it doesn't even get counted against actual currency.  Blight devastates the food supply, and the price of food goes through the roof.  Adventurers have to pay a full gold or hawk an object.  As to the image, it is the only one I could find that was freely usable showing row planting, as in a field.

Velhart said:

Winter Solstice. I think you can better changed 3 turns to 3 rounds. otherwise it really short.

Oops... got it.

Velhart said:

But they are not many cards with rural in the deck and also not many with fairy or wildernis followers. ( maybe you could add more to make winter solstice more effective?[/quote]

Hmm... you could be right.  As it stands, it would affect Gnome, Pixie, Guide, Verdant Priest, Cu-Shi, Beither-Shi, Spriggan, Thorn Witch...  maybe that's enough. Then again, it should affect all Verdant followers as well (nature worshippers), so that would include the Verdant Zealot.

Velhart said:

Battle Hound: I wonder why you must pay 1G to take it? As if the dog accept the coin lol

Actually it's to his "trainer"... I'll see if I can sneak that in.

Velhart said:

I don't understand the last text of the card.( it's exempt from all rolls etc

It has to do with a few severely power enemies in the deck... such as the Great Wyrm.  Take a peek at that one.

Velhart said:

Camel: Why have you write purchase value on a adventure card?..I am wondering about that.

It matches what will be on the coming Purchase Cards.  New objects aren't listed on the board spaces or standard cards as to where they are sold. My new Purchase cards will have both location sold and price, so that when someone is "shopping" they can see what is available and where.  Plus some players will occassionally trade objects... and they like to know the game value of an object or a "carrying" follower.

Velhart said:

Verdant priest. it's still not very clear to me. Do you actually mean with this card that craft based characters can't have her.

I understand.  The true problem is how Talisman handled "religiously" character WRONG!  They don't use spells per se... it was a simplification for the game, but badly done.  I need to distinguish that she will not join with clergy and other titled religious characters (Priest, Monk, Prophetess, Holy Warrior, etc. etc.) without having to list them all on the card.  For even if I could list all, new ones would certainly pop up later in expansions... then there would be glitches where the Verdant Priest is concerned.

Velhart said:

Priest, cultist, prophetess etc are all craft based characters. this makes more sense to me( than the word theurges)

Again, I understand... but they are not just Craft based... they are religious.  Craft is an attribute; the characters you are talking about are all involved in "religion".... or for Talisman, they server a particular Power of the Alignments.  That's what's critical.  I didn't want to eliminate her from use by all characters of varied alignments (she might try to convert some of them... consider what she offers for Neutrals); but she would have nothing to do with titled / ordained servants of another alignment. 

A "theurge" is someone who gains actual powers from their diety through service or contract.  It is a general term that covers all such regardless of cultural terms such as "witch," "priest," etc.  I'm still at a loss as how to word this without it growing too wordy.  Suggestions?

Velhart said:

Skinner post: Can you also sell enemy animal followers? What about if he sell them to other characters? (Minstrell ability)

I see your point.  But in general, I wouldn't think so.  That animal is only a follower because to a character's ability (and there are some others too). Once outside the influence of that character... the animal is no longer obedient.  

Thanks again, V!  Now time to get to some corrections.

#7 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:08 AM

Velhart said:

But they are not many cards with rural in the deck and also not many with fairy or wildernis followers. ( maybe you could add more to make winter solstice more effective?

[/quote]

Hmm... you could be right.  As it stands, it would affect Gnome, Pixie, Guide, Verdant Priest, Cu-Shi, Beither-Shi, Spriggan, Thorn Witch...  maybe that's enough. Then again, it should affect all Verdant followers as well (nature worshippers), so that would include the Verdant Zealot.

-----

I thought it was only made for your cards. A gnome is in my eyes not a fairy, and the guide is not titled as a wildernis card. This makes it confused. i have not think about those cards. ( maybe it needs a other explanation to use it with the main deck?

And rural places and strangers is for rural only right? now i am getting confused

I am more thinking about shops and strangers who are selling objects etc are closing for 3 rounds/. including your rural cards

Verdant priest. 

I cannot think of a better one yet. But clergy says something. and characters like priester, monk, holy warrior? believes in god. that makes more sense.
But a prophetess is something different.. ( it let me think about their clothing so i know which characters the verdant priest accept or not... 

#8 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:16 AM

Something goes wrong here? ...

I try not to quote it...

-------------------

related to reply about winter solstice,

I thought it was only made for your cards. A gnome is in my eyes not a fairy, and the guide is not titled as a wildernis card. This makes it confused. i have not think about those cards. ( maybe it needs a other explanation to use it with the main deck?

And rural places and strangers is for rural only right? now i am getting confused

I am more thinking about shops and strangers who are selling objects etc are closing for 3 rounds/. including your rural cards

Verdant priest.

I cannot think of a better one yet. But clergy says something. and characters like priester, monk, holy warrior? believes in god. that makes more sense.
But a prophetess is something different.. ( it let me think about their clothing so i know which characters the verdant priest accept or not...

#9 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:27 AM

Why is my text moving to the right?

#10 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:37 PM

Ooops... you done it now, V! 
You broke the topic, dude. 

As to the cards....

Prophetess is a
religious title (as in a
female ''Prophet''), so
yes she is a
religious figure...
and always has been.
You may be confusing
her with the term "Seer(ess)",
which would be a mystical
or magical type.

For standard cards
that COULD BE added
to my categories, you
can look at the PDF
file packaged with the
expansion cards. There
is even one page in there
to print by itself as a quick
reference.

OR... as you thought,
you can play so that the ITB
cards only interact with each
other and leave the standard
cards unaffected.

Options for the
ITB card uses are in the
PDF document. There's
flexibility in how you chose
to use them.  And more of
what some cards do (Like
the "Bleeding Heart" or "Obstacles")
get more interesting once
the Purchase and Spell cards
are finished.  More later.

#11 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:44 PM

Just send the update over when it's ready JC and I'll upload it straight away!

...and Velhart - What did you do!?!??

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#12 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:43 PM

The revised archive is ready, and I've sent you an email, Jon. 

Anyone interested can download it again from the link that

started this topic... or wait a day or two and download it direct

from TalismanIsland.com

#13 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:16 AM

FINAL NOTE (after V's recent PM). 

Let's consider this topic dead. I think

it was probably a combination of my

fouled, mis-quoted post, then V trying

to quote that again.  ITB Part 1 is

essentially finished now and hosted at

Talisman Island.  I hope to have some

Purchase cards (in  a new topic) for

people to peek at by early next week.

(Life's getting pretty busy these days,

so my chosen deadline keeps slipping

into the future.)  See y'all in a new topic.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS