Slightly confused

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfstan

Wolfstan

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:13 AM

Hi, I've been working through the game today and have to say that firstly I'm not finding the rules that easy to follow. However with much re-reading and flcicking backwards and forwards I'm getting there. Until now. I've got the board all laid out and set up. Started to play it and worked out I was doing things wrong. So reset everything and started again, at which point I came across something I can't get my head around, and it is this:

A Story Mode game ends once either player accomplishes two of his Main Objectives, or one of his Main Objectives and two of his Secondary
Objectives.

I can't see how this can happen as there are 2 main objective circles & 1 secondary objective circle, am I missing something?

#2 littlewars

littlewars

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:12 AM

There are at least 2 Secondary Objectives on each map:

Tannhauser, Ksiaz Castle - 4 Main Objectives, 2 Secondary Objectives

Tannhauser, Crypt - 2 Main Objectives, 4 Secondary Objectives

Novgorod, Tesla Priory - 2 Main Objectives, 4 Secondary Objectives

Daedalus, Labyrinth - 4 Main Objectives, 4 Secondary Objectives

#3 Wolfstan

Wolfstan

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:21 AM

But don't the rules indicate that you can't complete your opponents Objectives? Page 14, right hand column, just above 2. It says "Note, finally that you cannot complete your opponent's missions."

To be fair these rules aren't written that clearly either, some other examples:

2) The player who rolled higher (re-roll ties until one player rolls higher) chooses a Main Objective Circle on the game board. In Story Mode, that player then randomly selects one of his Main Objective Tokens that corresponds to the category on the chosen circle and places it faceup on that circle, revealing its two required Skills

How can you randomly select a face down token, when it needs to match the image in the choosen circle on the board?

Also:

When playing in Story Mode, first determine which Objective Tokens you’ll use in that game. To do that, take all the Objective Tokens that bear your unit’s Affiliation Symbol. If there are more than 4 Objective Tokens of a particular Objective Category, select only four , and return the rest to the box. Next, sort your remaining Objective Tokens into Main Objectives and Secondary Objectives. Finally, divide them into sub-groups based on their Objective Categories.

Is this something that refers to possible expansions as there appear to be only 2 Objective Category's per token?

I have no problem with accepting that I could be missing the point here, but I've been re-reading these rules all day and these areas don't make sense to me.

#4 littlewars

littlewars

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:29 AM

True, you cannot complete your opponent's Objective. I now understand what you are getting at. This is how we proceed in Story Mode:

Make a Setup Roll, the player that wins randomly selects a Main Objective and places that token on the matching space (some objectives do not appear on every board - discard and draw again*). Taking turns, the players place first all the Main Objectives, and then all the Secondary Objectives.

Hope that helps.

*You could also make a pool of only the objectives that appear on the map, before you start drawing. Discard the rest.

#5 Wolfstan

Wolfstan

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:56 AM

Sorry, but no help at all. The original suggestion would work if the tokens were neutral, so you had 4 main objectives a 2 secondary objectives for the sides to fight over. However the counters are coloured for both factions. Infact this is even backed up by the example scenarios on page 21, 2 main objectives & 1 secondary objective, 3 tokens in total per side. It even shows you in full colour. So my question still stands.

#6 littlewars

littlewars

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:28 AM

To address the original question, on the Ksiaz Castle map you can't solve 2 Secondary Objectives, on the others (those with 4) you can.

Your victory conditions are somewhat dictated by the map you choose. You still gain VP for solving any Objective.

#7 Wolfstan

Wolfstan

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:37 AM

Many thanks. It's a shame that the rules are not as clear as they could be.

Having had a look in to this I can see why. It's a French game. Joy oh joy what fun this will be  They make beautiful games, full of amazing artwork, background information and gorgeous models... then throw a spanner in the works during translation. Confrontration, Hybrid, Hell Dorado, Tannhauser all stunning, until translated. It's like they want to keep the games to themselves

#8 diseased

diseased

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:39 AM

Hey there,

I got my copy of tannhäuser today and came across this issue too, is there any official errata on this one?

Which surprises me is that it isn't in the faq's as this would be most likely the first question to arise!

#9 sejestephan

sejestephan

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:57 AM

The game ends when you've solved either 2 of your main objectives or 1 main and 2 secondary.

Since Kizaz castle have only 1 secondary pr. player you obviously CAN'T win by solving 1 main and 2 secondary, it's not that hard guys, if there's two ways of ending the game and one can't be done then it's probably the other way you'll need to end the game.

So, for Kziaz 2 mains to win.

in the cellar 1 main and 2 secondary.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS