Rule clarifacation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Vinter

Vinter

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:03 AM

Alright, i was playing a game at a my local hobby shop and i wanted a rule clarifacation. I had used paid off on the other guys only creature, so he couldnt attack me, but he looked at the rules and said he could still intiate a challenge with this character against me, even though he couldnt attack em, he then played a dothraki that can come into play from your hand during a military channelge. Now i think that he shouldnt have been able to do that.

So heres the question, what ACTUALLY intiates the challenge? Do you have to kneel the character to initiate it? (unless otherwise states) And do you actually need a char to intiate it.

#2 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,718 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:23 AM

Straight out of the rules:

"Step 1: Declare attackers: First declare the type of challenge being initiated (military, intrigue, or power), and which player you are challenging. Then declare attackers by kneeling any number of your characters that have the corresponding challenge icon (or are enabled to participate by some card effect). Already kneeling characters may not be declared as attackers. You must declare at least one attacking character to initiate a challenge."

So it is a two-step process. First, you declare the type of challenge. Second, you indicate/kneel attackers. But in order to initiate the challenge, you have to complete both steps.

The last sentence makes it pretty clear that if you have no character to declare as an attacker, the challenge cannot be initiated in the first place. With the attachment stopping the declaration of his character as an attacker, I'm not sure how your opponent reasoned that the challenge could be initiated without a legal attacker actually being declared.

Did he think that he was allowed to declare the attacker, then the attachment removed it from the challenge? That's not how "Paid Off" works - it says that the character cannot be declared as an attacker, period. Do not pass "Go," do not collect $200.

#3 Vinter

Vinter

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:58 PM

Thanks Ktom thats exactly what i said, good to know for future games.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS