Jump to content



Photo

Wildfire Assault versus Power of the Blood


  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 orclrob

orclrob

    Member

  • Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:58 AM

Hi All,

Is the "Noble Crest" cannot be killed text of the Power of the Blood plot card considered a save and thus is not effective against Wildfire Assault.

For example

Assume my opponent has 4 characters on the board, one of which has a noble crest.   At the plot phase I play wildfire assault and my opponent plays power of the blood.

If my opponent chooses the other 3 characters to save, will the noble crest character be protected as well because of the text of his plot card?

orclrob



#2 ktom

ktom

    Member

  • Members
  • 7,574 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:23 PM

orclrob said:

Is the "Noble Crest" cannot be killed text of the Power of the Blood plot card considered a save and thus is not effective against Wildfire Assault.

There is no "save" involved. A kill effect simply cannot resolve on a "cannot be killed" character. So yes, Power of Blood is a good plot against Wildfire.



#3 orclrob

orclrob

    Member

  • Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:57 PM

Great.  Thanks Ktom.  That was our thought as well, but we always like to ask for clarification.

Thanks again



#4 Seznal

Seznal

    Member

  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:40 AM

ktom said:

orclrob said:

Is the "Noble Crest" cannot be killed text of the Power of the Blood plot card considered a save and thus is not effective against Wildfire Assault.

 

There is no "save" involved. A kill effect simply cannot resolve on a "cannot be killed" character. So yes, Power of Blood is a good plot against Wildfire.

 

Isn't there a timing which Plot reveals first? Or has that changed? When the first player deceit that Wildfire resolve first Power of blood is useless in my mind.



#5 ktom

ktom

    Member

  • Members
  • 7,574 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:15 AM

Seznal said:

Isn't there a timing which Plot reveals first? Or has that changed? When the first player deceit that Wildfire resolve first Power of blood is useless in my mind.

That was true for awhile, but it is not any longer. Back before Gencon 2008, a clarification was added to the FAQ on plot resolution. Rather than having all plots activate in the order determined by the First Player, plots with constant effects are considered active as soon as they are revealed. The First Player only decides the order of resolution for "when revealed" plots. This is because technically, "when revealed" plot effects are passive effects activated by revealing the plot. Passive effects do not have timing conflicts with constant effects on any other card type, so why did they conflict on plot cards such that the First Player needed to resolve the conflict by deciding the order?

Essentially, the switch made plot cards behave more like every other card type in terms of the resolution of constant, passive and triggered effects (we actually do have plots with triggered effects now).

So, in the Plot phase, say that Power of Blood and Wildfire are revealed at the same time. Power of Blood is a constant effect, so it is active as soon as it is revealed. Nobles cannot be killed. Revealing Wildfire activates its passive "when revealed" kill effect, so that is technically resolved after the plot is revealed (not simultaneously). Therefore, Power of Blood is active when Wildfire is resolved. The two do not conflict, so the First Player has no say in the order of resolution.



#6 Seznal

Seznal

    Member

  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:30 PM

Thank you for clarification, I have missed this change.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS