A sci-fi dungeon crawler....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dirk69er

dirk69er

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:55 AM

I know there is Doom and Tanhausser but I have always wanted to see something along the lines of Descent except sci-fi. I feel the whole sword and socery bit is played out as well as games with a supernatual slant. Maybe where your characters can level up through some sort of tech specialty tree, so the character can turn out to be how you design them. Instead of a preset character like a warrior or wizard and such. Also you could do missions and at the end of each mission earn money to purchase new weapons, munitions and ordinances as well as bionic enhancements to improve your character.

#2 Osaka

Osaka

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:43 PM

I think it'd be difficult to produce another boardgame like Doom and Descent and not have them end up competing with each other for both playership and developer resources.  Instead, it would be nice to see Doom get some more expansions, and maybe end up getting more "Descent-like" as more expansions develop.

Then again, not knowing what sort of game is in the pipeline for Gears of War, you may yet get your wish!

#3 dirk69er

dirk69er

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:57 AM

Thanks for the reply. I developed my own board game a while back on the same premise as what I originally posted. It was fun though I still needed to work out some of the play mechanics. I made 3-D props for it out of polystyrene foam to give it almost a Heroscape feel.

But I can see what you are saying about making competing products within your own line. But I am just tired of all the sword and sorcery. It seems every game that comes out is based on that.

#4 Osaka

Osaka

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:22 AM

I agree with you there...  The big problem being there's a great deal more fantasy players than sci-fi players in the RPG market, and that sort of bleeds over into the pseudo-RPG boardgame market.

#5 monster0

monster0

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:21 PM

I agree as well. The fantasy market is much bigger than the sci-fi. I have been developing a game that has an over arch that spans from a fantasy realm to a sci-fi  future. I don't know if it will work out, but giving the option of past and future, I hope to bridge the gap and draw players of each genre into trying the other.

#6 OldUrmel

OldUrmel

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:31 AM

I remember there beeing an expansion for the old GW Talisman where your hero travels in the future ... (featuring Space Marines and co ...)

For my part I like it when the games stay in there time (of course with the exeption of games like Civilisation or History of the world)

How about a Halo Game ??

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS