Scenario 4 is Up

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Twilight

Twilight

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:59 AM

This one looks a little harder to me.  You lose one maximum sanity each turn you end the mythos phase in the street!  This seems like it will make killing monsters a lot harder... though there does seem to be an item that might help a lot (that I thought would never be that useful...).

Is there any way to ever regain maximum stamina? 

Does -1 stamina loss help at all?  Do the items that prevent stamina loss from one source help at all (can Flesh Ward protect you in the streets?)

Questions about the clues in the woods:  does taking them allow you to avoid having an encounter in the woods?  If a gate appears in the woods before you get the clues, do they go away?

#2 TroySterling

TroySterling

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:03 AM

If -1 stamina helps, I'm sure Michael McGlenn will be a popular choice.  I'd assume all clue tokens are sucked up if a Gate appears in the woods. 

#3 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:32 AM

I'm willing to bet that the Max Stamina loss is permanent. Which is going to suck eggs. Nothing is going to prevent it (and might just be a control mechanism for McGlenn).

And do we play with the Hearld this time around? It says "all" the componets from BGotW. This could cause alot of Cultists on the board early.

#4 Twilight

Twilight

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:51 AM

Not sure about the Herald.  Didn't last time also say all BGOTW components, but JR said that all did not include the Herald.

#5 Twilight

Twilight

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:53 AM

It looks like JR answered on the first questions:

Banked clues stay even if a gate appears in the woods.

There is no way to prevent the max stamina loss.

Sounds painful...

#6 MrsGamura

MrsGamura

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:25 PM

you could get Sir William B. he may actually be useful +1 max stam...

#7 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:16 PM

Yikes.  That's pretty cool ::cough cough:: no pun intended :'D finally an Ithaqua with fangs!

#8 Aeaea

Aeaea

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:32 PM

Twilight said:

... though there does seem to be an item that might help a lot (that I thought would never be that useful...).

Hmmm... Care to give a hint as to which one?

#9 Dark Jco.

Dark Jco.

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:01 PM

It seems like yellow bordered monsters will be a boon this time around and flying monsters will be the bane of all groups. The three cultists in the street thing is kind of odd but it makes sense so that people actually fight the monsters as opposed to just letting them build up until they go to the outskirts. Also I'm fairly sure most people already had this idea but no one should spend any cultists that they collect so as not to risk having that particular clause come into effect.

On the plus side, Ithaqua isn't resistant or immune to anything so there isn't the great need for spell casters this time so all of the high fight/high stamina characters can be used. It might be a good idea to blitz the skill + common item shops and just prepare for the final battle while keeping the monsters under control so the terror level doesn't sky rocket.

#10 TatteredKing

TatteredKing

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:28 AM

Dark Jco. said:

It might be a good idea to blitz the skill + common item shops and just prepare for the final battle while keeping the monsters under control so the terror level doesn't sky rocket.

One of the previous games I gave all my money to Pete who went to the General Store shopping.  Had some nice things when the GOO awoke.

Considering there are a lot of monsters in BGotW that are treated as cultists, this is gonna be tough.....

#11 Twilight

Twilight

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:57 AM

It's a BGotW item.

I'd tell you more, but I'd go insane.

#12 Aeaea

Aeaea

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:27 AM

Ah yes, thanks. Dunwich's Mi-Go Brain Case and its (possibly prohibitively expensive) Wave of Destruction mission could also come in handy too in the right circumstances.

#13 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:39 AM

Aeaea said:

Ah yes, thanks. Dunwich's Mi-Go Brain Case and its (possibly prohibitively expensive) Wave of Destruction mission could also come in handy too in the right circumstances.

No unique item store.  Unfeasable ;') unless you aim for a select unique item encounter— and I still don't think it'd be worth it.

#14 Twilight

Twilight

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:02 AM

We have been averaging about 2 extra unique items per character in the early scenarios from encounters/Migo's.  That is not great odds when I think there are only 6 unique item cards  that would be helpful in killing things without having to fight in the street.  Monteray Jack would be a little bit useful here...

Still, with the extra threat of fighting in the streets, there are times when it might be worth it to have a character camp out at the Train station or similar.  The odds aren't in your favor, but if you have an investigator who can't get to a gate for a few turns, it might be worth trying.

The odds are probably better with find gate + police wagon + clues in the woods for as quick a sealing victory as possible.

#15 d3n3b

d3n3b

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:05 AM

Is there a list of the scenario chapters somewhere? I'm having trouble finding the story parts of the scenarios.

#16 Twilight

Twilight

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:31 AM

I don't know if there is a page with them somewhere, but you can find them all by going to news and then filter for Arkham Horror using the pull down list.

#17 Aeaea

Aeaea

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:50 PM

We tried scenario 4 and as fate would have it, Mark Harrigan drew the Wave of Destruction mission. Sadly the Great Ritual rumor showed up at the 5th Mythos and we scrambled trying to get spells to stop it. This was a huge error since we had no spellcasters (Michael, Mark, Wilson and Pete with Calvin) and we should've concentrated on gate seals instead. We were too timid to take the max stamina hits in the street until too late -- dodging monsters and waiting for them to group up for mass kills delayed us too much. In the end, the Ritual resolved, we hit the open gate limit and the AO popped out. Ithaqua was an easy kill, but very unsatisfying. 17 points, 20 unspent clue tokens <sigh> we're trying it again. There would've been no problem completing/using the mission had we been a more willing to take the constitution hits like men.  

#18 Ozzy

Ozzy

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:21 AM

Quick question on Ithiqua. When you enter the end fight and you begin rolling for "perished" items, does this only include Common and Unique items or does it extend to Spells (even though they are not called items by definition). The fact that you can trade Spells like items leads to my confusion. Any input is appreciated, as I would like to get this cleared up before playing the scenario. Cheers!

Ozzy

#19 Coyote''s Own

Coyote''s Own

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:56 AM

Ozzy said:

Quick question on Ithiqua. When you enter the end fight and you begin rolling for "perished" items, does this only include Common and Unique items or does it extend to Spells (even though they are not called items by definition). The fact that you can trade Spells like items leads to my confusion. Any input is appreciated, as I would like to get this cleared up before playing the scenario. Cheers!

Ozzy

I Asked about it on the general forum.

Since Spells count as items, the ability does work on spells too.

#20 Pyromaniacal

Pyromaniacal

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:01 AM

My two person theme is about to try scenario four (we're really behind, yeah...)

And I have 2 questions:

1) "all extra clues are in the woods" are these the banked clues? The clues our investigators WOULD have started with? Or all clues that appear on the board appear here instead?

2) If we're all cultists, do the INVESTIGATORS count towards the 3 cultists in the streets for the sake of Ithaqua waking up?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS