There have been a couple of posts on Board Game Geek by people dissatisfied with joust when using the preconstructed Core Set decks. So I'm trying to build two decks that are roughly balanced and geared towards joust using the contents of just one Core Set. Here's what I have:
Some considerations/objects I had:
- Avoid cards geared towards multiplayer. I think the only card used that has any sort of overt multiplayer aspect is Varys, and I used him to give Stark some token Int STR and he's still pretty good without his passive ability.
- Give both decks a reset plot and one of the characters that causes some cards to be reshuffled back into everyone's decks.
- Avoid difficult effects or ones that may only be useful to an experienced player or when cards from outside of the Core Set are used (e.g., Xaro Xoan Daxos and Bran Stark).
- Some straight forward synergies (Stark has Direwolf, War crest, and Knight; Targ has Dragon and effects tied into playing attachments).
- Capture some of the classic flavor of the two houses: Stark being exposed to Int challenges and Targ using/manipulating attachments.
- Give each some ways of saving characters. (Stark has Nymeria, Ghost, and Retreat; Targ has Aemon and Viserys).
Each deck has the same number of total cards and the same number of characters with nearly the same average price. Targ has a few more attachments and more locations that do more than provide straight resources; Stark has a few more events.
Before I put the links to these on BGG's forum, I'd be interested to hear if people think they are not well balanced or otherwise have any fatal flaws.