Joust decks for new players using contents of one Core Set

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LetsGoRed

LetsGoRed

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:55 AM

There have been a couple of posts on Board Game Geek by people dissatisfied with joust when using the preconstructed Core Set decks.  So I'm trying to build two decks that are roughly balanced and geared towards joust using the contents of just one Core Set. Here's what I have:

Stark vs Targ

Some considerations/objects I had:

- Avoid cards geared towards multiplayer. I think the only card used that has any sort of overt multiplayer aspect is Varys, and I used him to give Stark some token Int STR and he's still pretty good without his passive ability.

- Give both decks a reset plot and one of the characters that causes some cards to be reshuffled back into everyone's decks.

- Avoid difficult effects or ones that may only be useful to an experienced player or when cards from outside of the Core Set are used (e.g., Xaro Xoan Daxos and Bran Stark).

- Some straight forward synergies (Stark has Direwolf, War crest, and Knight; Targ has Dragon and effects tied into playing attachments).

- Capture some of the classic flavor of the two houses: Stark being exposed to Int challenges and Targ using/manipulating attachments.

- Give each some ways of saving characters. (Stark has Nymeria, Ghost, and Retreat; Targ has Aemon and Viserys).

Each deck has the same number of total cards and the same number of characters with nearly the same average price. Targ has a few more attachments and more locations that do more than provide straight resources; Stark has a few more events.

Before I put the links to these on BGG's forum, I'd be interested to hear if people think they are not well balanced or otherwise have any fatal flaws.

#2 Rubinon

Rubinon

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:52 AM

From a Nedly point of view I'd swap Barristan Selmy and Benjen Stark, the two reshuffling characters. If the new players are familiar with the books (as they probably are), this will give them a playing experience closer to the storyline.

#3 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,524 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:41 AM

Well, I think one of the biggest problems with a 2-player game out of a single Core Set is the lack of draw and the 1-per/highlander format. In Joust, you have to come up with the solutions and ways to deal with your opponent's power cards on your own (whereas in Melee, you can negotiate for it). Having the tools in the deck doesn't matter if you cannot get it out of your deck. 

I applaud your efforts, but I'm not sure how well you can meet the objectives given what you have to work with.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS