Character Cards - Challenges phase

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lazuli1990

Lazuli1990

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

When playing a character card that has an instruction on it that activates in the challenges phase. Does this activate immidiately in the phase, or do you need to wait for your turn to bring it in to play?

For example:

Lets say  in a two player game I play the card 'Shae' which her instructions read :

Challenges: Kneel Shae to choose and kneel a character controlled by a player with more power than you. 

And my opponent has played 'Selyse Baratheon' which the instructions on her card read:

Challenges: Kneel 1 influence to choose a unique character. Until the end of the phase, that character gains an Intrigue icon. 

If it's my opponents turn, can he play the effects of the Baratheon card first in the challenges phase because it is indeed his turn. Then I have to waiit to play Shae's kneel instruction on mine until my turn in the challenges phase. 

This might seem like a simple problem, but it came from a dispute where one card was killed, but had an instruction for the challenges phase that could have saved it. The issue being it wasn't his turn.

Thanks.

#2 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

Lazuli1990 said:

When playing a character card that has an instruction on it that activates in the challenges phase. Does this activate immidiately in the phase, or do you need to wait for your turn to bring it in to play?

For example:

Lets say  in a two player game I play the card 'Shae' which her instructions read :

Challenges: Kneel Shae to choose and kneel a character controlled by a player with more power than you. 

And my opponent has played 'Selyse Baratheon' which the instructions on her card read:

Challenges: Kneel 1 influence to choose a unique character. Until the end of the phase, that character gains an Intrigue icon. 

If it's my opponents turn, can he play the effects of the Baratheon card first in the challenges phase because it is indeed his turn. Then I have to waiit to play Shae's kneel instruction on mine until my turn in the challenges phase. 

This might seem like a simple problem, but it came from a dispute where one card was killed, but had an instruction for the challenges phase that could have saved it. The issue being it wasn't his turn.

Thanks.

there are only 2 things that really matter as to who is the active player (there are more, but we'll keep it to the main 2 for now)

1) During marshalling, you may pay for and play cards from your hand into the play area, only if you are the active player.

2) During challenges, you may initiate (one-at-a-time) the 3 challenges you are allotted, only if you are the active player. (unless otherwise stated on a card.

Any … phase: actions can be used, no matter who is the active player, during the appropriate phase of the round.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#3 J_Roel

J_Roel

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:20 PM

To answer your question, when the challenges phase begins (and this goes for any phase), the First Player, chosen by the player who won initiative, always gets the first action. You can each take actions when you are not the active player (ie. the person marshalling or the person declaring challenges) and must each consecutively pass on taking any more actions before any action window closes. In the scenario where he has Selyse and you have Shae, this means that he could give someone an intrigue icon, then you could kneel that character immediately after. As far as your question about him saving one of his characters, a little more detail is necessary. Was it a save response or an action he could have taken to prevent the character from being killed in the first place?

"...and Balerion... his fire was as black as his scales, his wings so vast that whole towns were swallowed up in their shadow when he passed over head."

#4 scantrell24

scantrell24

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

You might want to read the FAQ if you have not. Any text with "Response" or "X Phase" in front of it is optional and can be triggered during an appropriate player action window. 

Edited by scantrell24, 03 July 2013 - 08:26 AM.

1st Place 2013 AGoT Regional (Kingsport, TN)

Crimson and Gold Author on Cardgamedb

The Comprehensive New Player Guide

Find Players In Your Area

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS